Is This Sick?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Is This Sick?

Post by PhilO »

A couple of days ago, while pulling some dishes out of an overhead cabinet, amidst a too-crowded kitchen rush hour, a ceramic dish fell, cracked, and in an attempt to catch it I somehow jaggedly cut open the very center of my left hand - pretty deep and lot's of blood flowing. I was in a panic, because my very first thought - and I kid you not - was oh G-d, I won't be able to play the whistle..I immediately started testing all fingers and to my relief found that everything was working (albeit painfully) and the damage as bad as it looked hadn't gone beyond tissue. Is that sick or what?

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

wot? That you were not successful in your attempt to catch the dish? :-?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

When my husband Dan cut off the tip of his middle finger two weeks after we got married, his main worry was that he might not be able to play the piano. It's not sick...it's great! It shows that you really care about the music-making. Dan can play the piano, but he has had to learn new fingerings for everything, because he can't really feel the tip of that finger.
~JessieD
Denny

Post by Denny »

Oh! Worried about being able to play the whistle... :oops:

NO, perfectly normal...whaddaya thinkin'
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

before i learned how to play the whistle, i had a major left hand accident right before i left for church to play my guitar for Mass. i bandaged up the sucker, left the guitar in the car and only took my harmonicas to church. the wound was still bleeding and seeping through the bandages and i looked pretty holy what with the stigmata and all.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well, no, it seems quite natural that if you do something that is important to you your thoughts would go to that. I also think it is wonderful. Not the injury, obviously, but being worried about playing the whistle. Isn't it a sign of passion? How wonderful to have that!

I suppose what I am going to say will be considered medical advice, but it really isn't. It is advice about what you should do when breakable things fall.

My dad, when I was little, knew someone who tried to catch a glass that was falling. It broke just as he grabbed it and cut some tendon or something and it was quite a serious thing in terms of full recovery. My dad sat us down and gave us this big talk about not ever trying to catch something that could break---it would not be worth it. He really put some big impression in my mind about it which has now been reinforced by this story. So, everyone, follow my dad's advice! It is not medical.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

I have similar thoughts every time I slip on the ice.

My husband broke his hand last winter. I had to do all the lifting and carrying (we live 1/4 to 1/3 mile from the car, depending on the tide), all the dishes since he couldn't get it wet, all the wood splitting and water hauling. It was a brutal winter in terms of physical work.

But I still caught myself thinking "Better him than me! He doesn't play an instrument!" I felt wicked thinking it, but still somehow satisfied that we were not in reversed positions.

I'm really glad your hand is okay!

Jennie
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Ah, so I'm just one of the many asylum inmates! A good feeling.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I was involved in a serious accident about a year before I joined the Chiff.

As I drifted in and out of consciouness in the ambulance, blood everywhere, pain that I never knew existed, several things broken and shattered, my only thought was about my fingers..I was prepared to surrender whatever was damaged beyond repair in return for the use of my fingers.

I lost a fair bit of my hearing, several teeth and gained some interesting scars but the fingers were, eventually, fine.

I call that a result.

Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

This reminds me of that sage adage, "No one wants to catch a falling knife".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

dubhlinn wrote:As I drifted in and out of consciouness in the ambulance, blood everywhere, pain that I never knew existed, several things broken and shattered, my only thought was about my fingers..I was prepared to surrender whatever was damaged beyond repair in return for the use of my fingers.
:cry: Oh. My.

I have so much to be grateful for.

So I can't manage the stretch for a low whistle. Oh well!
I am reminded to be thankful for my mobile fingers and a face that has, so far, only been altered by time and experience. My brain even works, most of the time.

There is so much to whine about.
But much more to sing about! :)

May we all continue to play in good health.

Jennie
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

PhilO wrote:Ah, so I'm just one of the many asylum inmates! A good feeling.

Philo
same floor, different room :D
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Yo' Philo:

Recently did some damage to the right shoulder and elbow, finally saw an Md. yesterday. Much to my relief, no long term damage. A shot of cortisone in old elbow and I was on my way. Still have limited range of motion in the shoulder, and playing anything bigger than low G right now is tenuous, at best (as if it wasn't before the pull!).

In any event, I'm glad you've still got your priorities right and that the whistle playing is not in jeopardy. I don't know about you, but for me vocals are just not an option, and I can't think of many other ways of making music that do not involve the old paws.

Get fully recovered quick-like and give me a holler when you are up to butchering some tunes with me--in lieu of various extremities!!

Tom D.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

i saw a man without arms play a guitar with his feet on tv. i can play a harmonica without using my hands. our options might become limited but they're never completely gone.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
missy

Post by missy »

just repeating Cynth's advice.

I worked in an analytical chemistry lab for over 18 years. You learn very, early on to NEVER, EVER try to catch any falling glassware. Besides the possibility of cutting off various appendages, you also have the pleasant option of burning off half of your skin if said glassware contains an acid or corrosive.
The best option when this happens is to JUMP OUT OF THE WAY. Glassware, dishes, etc. can be replaced.

Oh - and to clean up those slivers? A huge wad of WET paper towels works great. Don't swipe - blot.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com