First high-end whistle!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Krasnojarsk

First high-end whistle!

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Hello all!

I've been playing the tin whistle for approx. 10-11 years, I'm 21, and I'm planning to venture into the 'high-end' spectrum of whistle buying.
Now my main instruments have always been oboe and guitar, and I've been spending most of my instrument money on those things, but I've decided I could do with a nice, quality tin whistle as well. (pretty much since I can't afford an uilleann pipe, but that's another story.) So, having been consumed by guitar obsessing, I haven't yet touched the deeper world of whistles.

To put it short: I like Planxty (among so many other bands). I like the tone of Liam's whistle on the live DVD 'Planxty live 2004' and I would like something similar, 150$ (roundabout £80 for you Brits) is pretty much my top budget limit (struggling student...), being an oboe player I could do with a whistle with some amount of back pressure, it can't be all to loud since I live in a student room with fairly thin walls. (But if the tone is great I could live with loudness.)

OK, I didn't put it short, but to really put it short: you have 150$ to spend on whistle, what do you buy, and why? Oh, and I want a normal D one. (High?) And tuneable would be a plus, but isn't necessary.

Thanks a million,

Pelle, Lund, Sweden :) (Phew, I finally shut up)
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

There are many threads on this, and you'll get a wide variety of answers here.

But if your post suggests that you are wanting a high amount of back-pressure, then whistles you may be interested in (in that price range) are Overton and Kerry. Many people love the Burke, (which also costs $150), but they're easier-blowing, and less like oboe than the first two.

I suggest you do some searching and browsing of old forum threads.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Thank you! I've been recommended the Burke and Overton and shall continue to search the forums! :)
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Meh.

Go buy 15 feadogs.

:party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
Denny

Post by Denny »

Perhaps a prusal of the High End Whistle link at the Chiff & Fipple website?
fearfaoin

Re: First high-end whistle!

Post by fearfaoin »

Krasnojarsk wrote:To put it short: I like Planxty (among so many other bands). I like the tone of Liam's whistle on the live DVD 'Planxty live 2004' and I would like something similar
The following thread is specifically about what whistle Liam plays on the DVD. Might help.
http://chiffboard.mati.ca//viewtopic.php?t=32907

Apparantly, he uses a Burke and a Generation...

Burkes might not suit your backpressure needs, though. My jazz teacher,
who is primarily a Sax player, liked my Syns the most. My OBrien Traveler
also has some decent (not high) backpressure you can lean into.
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Hello and thank you for your replies!

I've had a glance through the high'end guide, and with the help of some other tips, I'm currently leaning towards a Burke or an Overton. (In addition to the Planxty 2004 thread, if anyone knows what he plays on As I roved out (Christy), also the first track, The Starting Gate), that's a tone I really like. Argh I hate not being able to try whistles in person, since it's such a 'personal' instrument.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

No one has ever bought only one whistle...............
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Krasnojarsk

Post by Krasnojarsk »

Haha I know, which is why have a shelf full of them. :D So yeah, I'm basically leaning towards a Burke quite a lot...what's the sound difference between brass and aluminium? Is the brass a bit more mellow?
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

IIRC, Liam plays a Burke brass whistle on the Planxty DVD (in addition to a Generation).
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Burke and Sindt are both very fine instruments. I'm especially fond of the Burke DNB (narrow bore) I just received...sweeet.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

Contact Doc Jones at irishflutestore.com

He has a steady stream of quality used instruments in your price range (including Burke and Overton) and has been known to let them go out for a test drive from time to time. He would have to qualify that though.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

"High end" and "not too loud" don't go together very often. You might look into Hoovers.
Short bio: 1952-
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Overton, yeah.
/Bloomfield
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

If I had about $150 and no high end whistles - I'd have three choices.

1. Reyburn High D/C Set (US$140.00 + shipping)

2. Save a little more and get an Overton Tuneable High D (approx US$200 + shipping)

3. Freeman Tweaked full Bb to high G Generation 6 whistle set (approx US$160 + shipping)

The Reyburn is a great deal because you get two different keys at a great price. Plus Reyburn whistles are stunning.

The Overton is - well - it's an Overton. They're flat out wonderful if you can afford it.

The Freeman full set is not "high end," but the versatility of the full set is great. And a Bb Gen is probably the sweetest whistle you'll get at the price. These will be the quietest of the three choices.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.