Too-Thin models banned from Madrid fashion show

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
JessieK
antispam: No

Post by JessieK »

The guy who lured me to Nashville (I have trouble identifying him as anything closer to me than that, even in history) was into physical fitness and "staying active and healthy." He used to give me dirty looks if I wanted to park near a place I was visiting. He thought walking there was half the fun. He bragged constantly about how everyone he encountered loved his legs. How endearing!
Last edited by JessieK on Sat Sep 16, 2006 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JessieD
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

JessieK wrote:The guy who lured me to Nashville (I have trouble identifying him as anything close to me than that, even in history) was into physical fitness and "staying active and healthy." He used to give me dirty looks if I wanted to park near a place I was visiting. He thought walking there was half the fun. He bragged constantly about how everyone he encountered loved his legs. How endearing!
sounds like a 'treasure' best left unclaimed. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

susnfx wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:
susnfx wrote:...and in incredible shape)
Do you mean, his glistening muscles ripple in the sun with every lithe flex of his masculine physique and the very breeze pauses to catch it's breath?

Just curious.
How did you know?!? :o *sigh*...but that just can't make up for everything else.

Susan
I was on a roll that night. Ask Gonzo and Tyler.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Flyingcursor wrote:
susnfx wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote: Do you mean, his glistening muscles ripple in the sun with every lithe flex of his masculine physique and the very breeze pauses to catch it's breath?

Just curious.
How did you know?!? :o *sigh*...but that just can't make up for everything else.

Susan
I was on a roll that night. Ask Gonzo and Tyler.
We had to take his car keys.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Loren wrote:
jim stone wrote:I've been checking. Studies are certainly more recent
than the 50s, however in 2005 the CDC acknowledged
that it had mistakenly inflated the mortality risks
associated with obesity, which needed to be
very significantly downgraded.
Down graded how much? What is very significantly, exactly? If you're going to quote studies, please be specific, otherwise it's not useful.

Loren
When I actually linked to articles on CNN and diabeteshealth.com concerning recent studies in another thread, it didn't take very long for that thread to get locked.

You may not have read the studies, but that's not my fault: I tried.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

James,
With all due respect, I have never seen a post here where anybody was being disrespectful to those who are obese. We are all reasonably intelligent folk, and I would dare say that there is not one of us who would not change some aspect of their body given the chance.

It is common knowledge that obesity carries a huge amount of problems in it's wake.

The attitude of society, in general, towards those who would be classed as obese is not pretty. It is not pretty to be a Muslim in this country - England - today any more than it was a pretty thing to be Irish here for generations.

Your posts, that don't concern your self image, are highly regarded by one and all. You have a very nice sense of what is right and wrong and a brief, terse style of writing.

Nobody here is discriminating against you, or judging you by your size.

Calm down a bit fella,

You've paid yer dues here and are a respected member of the flock.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

It is common knowledge that obesity carries a huge amount of problems in it's wake.
"Common knowledge" is often proven wrong. We laugh at yesteryears' common knowledge: that disease is caused by an imbalance of bodily humours, that degree of intelligence is linked to race, that the earth is the center of the universe and the sun rotates around it--and, one of my personal favorites, that God will never let a species He created become extinct.

There is a large body of evidence that seems to point to a correlation between obesity and disease. There is a smaller but growing body of evidence that suggests that the original data and interpretations were flawed, and that the nature of the correlation between obesity and disease, when it in fact exists, may not in fact be as straightforward as traditionally believed.

Simultaneously, there is a grassroots social movement which began in the 1970's (and has sustained slow but steady growth and recognition since) which seeks to change society's attitudes, beliefs, and prejudices towards fat people.

Now it may seem easy to dismiss all of this by saying it relates to my self-image, but isn't that really an ad hominem dismissal?

Just food for thought.

Respectfully,

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

You've paid yer dues here and are a respected member of the flock.
I do appreciate that...thank you.

--James

-------
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

jim stone wrote: I look like a greyhound.
Those who know me know that I'm built much more like a Rottweiler. :P
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
djm

Post by djm »

BrassBlower wrote:Those who know me know that I'm built much more like a Rottweiler
At least we know where all the drool is coming from. :D :P

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

BrassBlower wrote:

It's funny, but seems to be somewhat true, like they say, that we resemble our dogs.

Image (or maybe it's just that we act like our dogs...... :lol: )

Loren
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

Loren wrote:It's funny, but seems to be somewhat true, like they say, that we resemble our dogs.
Well, now you've done it.

Antoine just went "Harrumph" and sulked out of the room.

Best wishes,
Jerry
KateG

Post by KateG »

BrassBlower wrote:
BassBlower you're a human after my own heart (and the rest of my body...but let's not go there since I am firmly and happily married). And a Rottweiler is a thing of beauty and a joy forever :D Also I keep reminding myself that no amount of dieting would make my rottie look like a greyhound -- and no amount of stuffing would make a greyhound look like my rottie. They is what they is and they's both beautiful. :D
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

KateG wrote:...but let's not go there since I am firmly and happily married).
As is Brasso. :oops:
KateG wrote:And a Rottweiler is a thing of beauty and a joy forever :D
Tank you, tank you. That's the sweetest thing I've read all day! :love:
https://www.facebook.com/4StringFantasy

I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

-Galileo
KateG

Post by KateG »

Well, as you can probably tell from my avatar, I'm more than a little prejudiced. Don't Worry Be ABBY (aka Abby-do) is my second Rottie -- they're great dogs if you're willing to take the time to train them seriously, and then let them be part of your life 24/7. My first one accompanied me to work in an inner city museum -- one look at him sitting smiling at my feet and hostile punk youths suddenly remembered that they were nice kids underneath the bluster. My current girl is a registered therapy dog and my hiking buddy. She also accompanies me on business trips -- and since I work with small non-profit organizations I have been put up in a variety of budget motels where I was glad that she was next to the bed.