2006 "Excellence in Posting" Awards Nominations.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

gonzo914 wrote:Well, someone needs to get this going again, so I nominate Lambchop for all-around fleeciness and general wuzziability. Although some of her best post have been deleted, those of us who have gotten to see them remember them fondly. Her posts on mulberries are classics. Nano still needs to find her a fiddle. (And she looks great in her pirate garb.)
And Smokey Bear hat!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Flyingcursor wrote:
gonzo914 wrote:Well, someone needs to get this going again, so I nominate Lambchop for all-around fleeciness and general wuzziability. Although some of her best post have been deleted, those of us who have gotten to see them remember them fondly. Her posts on mulberries are classics. Nano still needs to find her a fiddle. (And she looks great in her pirate garb.)
And Smokey Bear hat!
Can we interpret your panting as a second to this nomination?
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Are nominations still open?

If so... I nominate: Carol Skinner (cskinner)

She's a true diplomat. Royalty, if I'm not mistaken. A pioneer among women. I hear Carol taught Sam Houston how to properly hold a knife and fork!

Carol is a talented musician who is focused on music (something we all need to consider) You could search all day and not find a nicer person. So... open up the polls. Here's one for Carol.

Someone care to second my nomination?
Denny

Post by Denny »

Tony wrote:Someone care to second my nomination?
sure, I'll second Carol
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Tony wrote:Are nominations still open?

If so... I nominate: Carol Skinner (cskinner)

She's a true diplomat. Royalty, if I'm not mistaken. A pioneer among women. I hear Carol taught Sam Houston how to properly hold a knife and fork!

Carol is a talented musician who is focused on music (something we all need to consider) You could search all day and not find a nicer person. So... open up the polls. Here's one for Carol.

Someone care to second my nomination?
Just when I had it down to two posts...

Now I gotta investigate this Carol bird.

She a newbie or what..?

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Alan
Tell us something.: From the land beyond beyond. From the time past hope and fear. I bid you, Genie, now appear! Well, the Genie did not appear but the notification to type at least 100 characters did so I am back and typing some more as you, if anyone actually sees this, can probably tell.

Post by Alan »

I'm just sorry I didn't get the chance to nominate or second Carol's nomination.

I have been busy...

May I third her? :)
Alan
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Alan wrote:.....May I third her? :)

:oops:

Is that allowed?
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

dubhlinn wrote:Now I gotta investigate this Carol bird.

She a newbie or what..?
No. She's been around here a while. She just doesn't post a whole lot.
Reasonable person
Walden
carrie

Post by carrie »

You are all so kind! :love:

And while yes, it is true that I taught Sam Houston how to hold a fork and knife, it is my nominators who deserve the credit for teaching him how to "shake that thang."

Carol
(hoping that "thang" doesn't have some meaning she doesn't know about)
carrie

Post by carrie »

Just got to thinking....

As flattered as I am by the kind words, and as appreciative, maybe it's best to thank you again for them and then respectfully bow out of anything like a competition. We are all so different here, and all (well almost all, hehe) jewels in our own fashion: who's to say that the shine on one isn't just a reflection from another?

So thanks, Tony, and thanks Denny and Alan (*glares at dubh*)--you made my day, as you have so often done with your own kindness, musicality, and wit.

Carol
Congratulations

Post by Congratulations »

cskinner wrote:Just got to thinking....

As flattered as I am by the kind words, and as appreciative, maybe it's best to thank you again for them and then respectfully bow out of anything like a competition. We are all so different here, and all (well almost all, hehe) jewels in our own fashion: who's to say that the shine on one isn't just a reflection from another?

So thanks, Tony, and thanks Denny and Alan (*glares at dubh*)--you made my day, as you have so often done with your own kindness, musicality, and wit.

Carol
Is this not quite possibly the sweetest post ever? :party:
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'll nominate John Kerr for his hose clamp treatises. Here's one:
johnkerr wrote:Actually, Grey Larsen was using a hose-clamped flute on that recording. I'm surprised he didn't credit the hose clamp installer in the sleeve notes. It's a little known fact that a good set of hose clamps, properly installed, can add a good three to four bars onto every phrase you play.

As it happens, Durrow is one of the few places where you can get a good aftermarket set of hose clamps installed on your flute at a reasonable price. That's due to the two major hose clamp innovators of the late 19th century having set up shop there right across the street from each other. A major price war ensued, driving the price to rock-bottom levels. After one of these concerns was bought by Yamaha in 1967, the other one was driven out of business. Yamaha elected to keep the price low on the hose clamps, though, as a loss leader for its motorcycle and piano markets.

Indeed, the tune The Trip to Durrow was written by a long-forgotten happy hose clamp customer, and the availability of good cheap hose clamps there has helped keep the tune popular for generations of flute players.

Hose clamps. Don't enter the recording studio without 'em!
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

chas wrote:I'll nominate John Kerr for his hose clamp treatises.
Thanks Charlie. But personally, I think my hoseclamp treatises really need more cowbell. I'll try to improve next year...
Denny

Post by Denny »

cskinner wrote:*glares at dubh*
bit cheeky, wasn't he... :D
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I nominate Cynth in two categories. First, for excellence in illustrative photography--the photos she comes up with are sublime. Second, for excellence in down-to-earth, sensible advice. Nobody else even comes close in either of those areas.

The evidence speaks for itself. Here's "Lamby Rescued!"
Cynth wrote:GOOD NEWS!!! LAMBY RESCUED!!!!

I have heard from the Helping Hands Humane Society, Inc. in Topeka.
They have managed to get Lamby out of her prison cell at
The International House of Pancakes!! The Humane Society looks a little dumpy, but it's really a nice place for a lamb with no where to go.

Her coat had to be sheared because it was simply
saturated with syrup and pancake crumbs and bits
of napkin were stuck in it. Although they were gentle, she was none too happy with the experience or the results.
ImageImage

For the time being, she is staying in a rather small cage.
They need to watch her carefully for any psychological
problems she might suffer as a result of this unspeakable experience.

She is currently undergoing counseling, both for the terrible stress of being fattened up for a barbecue (you can see she is just a touch on the plump side!) and also to help her decide on a career. She has Freudian analysis............................. petting therapy.................................................................................................................... and music therapy daily.
ImageImageImage

When Lamby once again feels the self-confidence
natural to her great breed, the Suffolk, she will be
able to stay on her own in this darling little barn. She can practice her flute and meditate on the beauties of nature. She can trot around on the lovely little paths (and take off some of those pounds)!
ImageImage

Drop us a line, Lamby, when you are feeling up to par! We are so glad you are safe!!