Good flutes < $400

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Good flutes < $400

Post by Bretton »

Hello. I (and others) have asked this or similar questions before. I've even gone through this process once and purchased a flute. However, I now find myself fluteless again and have $400 to throw at the problem.

I've never tried a Hoza flute, but that's the direction I'm leaning in at the moment.

I have tried Casey Burns' flutes (folk and one in Blackwood). The folk flute was fine, the Blackwood was really nice (if a little heavy). I'm not sure I want to go back to a folk flute if there's something a little better for a bit more money. I don't have enough right now to get one of his standard flutes, even without slide/rings.

I _might_ be able to come up with enough for one of the all wood Copley flutes, but I can't decide if it's worth the trouble it would be to scrape together an additional $100 or so. If I thought it would be significantly better than one of the Hoza flutes, I'd probably do it (however that also get's close to the Doyle pricerange and they seem to get the best reviews in that price range).

I'm making an assumption that a Hoza flute is noticeably better than a Burns folk flute...not sure if that's a correct assumption.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks a bunch!

-Brett
Last edited by Bretton on Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BillG
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillG »

I have to say that I was dissappointed in my Hoza flute. It had to be sent out to make it work and be in tune. It was an older model if that makes and difference. Add the extra bucks and go for the Copley - you won't go wrong there. I first had his D keyless with slide then asked him to make me a slideless head - I love it!!!

Billg
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Your best bet will probably be a used item. I was lucky enough to find a Jon C Pratten-style in Delrin for under $400. And if the seller is a regular here, you're on pretty safe ground.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Might check with Doc Jones too.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

The usual candidates: Used M & E's come up pretty regularly, usually for around $300 or so. Seerys sometimes too.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

Check ebay, "irish flute" under musical instruments. There's an M&E poly up for auction there right now! (not mine, and can't vouch for the seller) :)

EDIT: There's a Seery delrin up there as well! The world is your oyster!

:)
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

BillG wrote:I have to say that I was dissappointed in my Hoza flute. It had to be sent out to make it work and be in tune. It was an older model if that makes and difference. Add the extra bucks and go for the Copley - you won't go wrong there. I first had his D keyless with slide then asked him to make me a slideless head - I love it!!!

Billg
I had an opposite experience with a more recent Hoza F, it was very nice and I doubt you would be dissappointed. I sold the Flute as I wanted an Eb, I ended up going with a Copley and if you can; I would reccommend that over the Hoza.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

jim stone wrote:Might check with Doc Jones too.
Yep, I'm watching his stock of used flutes, and he mentioned he had another all wood Copley arriving soon.

I also went back and checked Casey Burns' prices again and his all wood flute is about the same as a Copley all wood, so I'm thinking about that too.

If I decide not to spend more than $400, then i'll probably go with the Hoza. I know the delrin flutes get good reviews but wood is more fun to hold. :)

Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

-Brett
Henke

Post by Henke »

It seems like the safest bets are in the $500-range. That would get you M&E wood, Copley all-wood, Burns all-wood, Doyle, etc.
Anyone know how much Jon C charges these days? He's a safe bet for a truly outstanding flute as well.
I would recomend you take the time to save up that extra $100. It's not that much more money, but you'll get lots more choices. Hoza seems to be getting mixed reviews obviously. Why not go for a safe bet? AT least as long as you can't try the flute before you buy it.
Last edited by Henke on Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

There's a jon c rudall on irishflutestore for 525, I think,
blackwood. Doc does trades, ya know, if you got
something to trade.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I recently had a Hoza come through (my first) and was really impressed.

It had great tone and really good volume. Just a terrific flute and fantastic bang for the buck. It was a large hole flute and had ergonomic fingering which was very nice (I don't always like ergonomic fingering as I have longish fingers).

Anyway, don't think you could go wrong there, nor with the others so far mentioned for that matter. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

The best flute under $400 is a grossly mispriced Cotter.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:The best flute under $400 is a grossly mispriced Cotter.

Dave
:lol:!!! Good one!
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Juan Pablo Plata

Post by Juan Pablo Plata »

You always seem to forget the really best of them (considering that price): Aulos baroque. And it´s chromatic.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Juan Pablo Plata wrote:You always seem to forget the really best of them (considering that price): Aulos baroque. And it´s chromatic.
I believe Bretton was looking for an Irish style wooden flute. The Aulos baroque traverso is neighter wooden nor Irish style.