Good Bb Whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

I do like my Alba Bb, but it takes air.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Mike Burke makes fine Bb whistles in a number of different flavors.
Best.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

I also like the Irvine tweaked Generation Bb. Very mellow.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Byll wrote:Mike Burke makes fine Bb whistles in a number of different flavors.
Best.
Byll
Ditto. My pretty new Burke Brass Bb is a hell of a whistle. Mellow tone that can project (I play it in the Jazz ensemble in my school), it isn't loud, but it can hold its own. Strong low note, it is the only whistle I can't easily overblow the low note on. Sweet sounding upper octave, it is never shrill. Pure, sweet tone with a touch of roughness to give it a character all its own. Overall, it probably has every thing I have looked for in a Whistle, and not just a Bb whistle.
Scott McCallister
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

I'll second (or third or whatever the count is up to now) a vote for Susatos.. I have also heard a stunnign copeland Bb. Lots of that was the player though, but still, he definately knew he had a great whistle.
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Doc Jones wrote:In addition to those mentioned above...the Bb Water Weasel is very nice.

Doc
I'll second that. My Bb Water Weasel was one of the best Bb's I've had.
I also had a B-natural Susato that was quite good...not sure if the Bb would be similar, or not.

-Brett
King Friday
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by King Friday »

My only un-tweaked Generation is the Bb. It's really good
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Unseen122 wrote: Ditto. My pretty new Burke Brass Bb is a hell of a whistle. Mellow tone that can project (I play it in the Jazz ensemble in my school), it isn't loud, but it can hold its own. Strong low note, it is the only whistle I can't easily overblow the low note on. Sweet sounding upper octave, it is never shrill. Pure, sweet tone with a touch of roughness to give it a character all its own. Overall, it probably has every thing I have looked for in a Whistle, and not just a Bb whistle.
I wish you hadn't said that [reaching for credit card]
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Scott McCallister wrote:I'll second (or third or whatever the count is up to now) a vote for Susatos.. I have also heard a stunnign copeland Bb. Lots of that was the player though, but still, he definately knew he had a great whistle.
Ok, because I'm such a big baby, last night after reading this I took out all my Bflats and my Edirol and recorded and played back the same respective air, jig, slide on each. Not real good test, since some whistles need more warming up, etc. The whistles were Abell (blackwood), Copeland, Burke (black tip brass), WW, Susato, Silkstone PVC, Syn, Gen (brass). Differences in tonal qualities were insignificant when played by the same player. Yes, the high-enders did have better overall richness of tone as compared to the Gen. The Syn and the Silkstone were a bit weaker in the low end than the others. The Abell had a bit more air throughout. The Copeland took more air and had a reedy tone and has along with the WW the greatest volume. The Burke was focused and pure and moderate in volume. The WW is big and round and I play it with piper's grip due to the relative size of the tone holes. The Susato has an almost pinched edgy quality to it, like strings instead of wind. They all play well and easily, making selection a matter of personal taste.

Nothing you guys don't already know, but once in a while I have to reaffirm it for myself.

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

I have one absolutely outstanding Bb—a Bernard-made Overton. It's beautifully balanced across the octaves and has that distinctively Overton complexity of tone. It's also very responsive. I don't have a problem playing it but I am an Overton freak and others might find the heft required a bit daunting.

I have two very good but less than stunning Bbs, an Abell and a Sindt. I also have very acceptable tweaked and untweaked Gens and a Susato.

I've not tried Bbs by several of my favourite makers—Humphrey, Burke, Copeland. I can't imagine that these would disappoint.
XDVarenkor

Post by XDVarenkor »

Congratulations wrote:
Adrian wrote:Susato.
Now that you mention it, I always liked my Susato Bb best of all of them. I had the D/C/Bb set.
Same, same. Plus with Susato you can try the small bore Bb and the medium bore Bb - which have very different tones and playing characters.
Kame

Post by Kame »

I have a susato large bore. I believe it's called the kildare. It sounds sweet and is not ear piercing compared to my susato D and C. Great whistle for recording and playing gigs. Cheap!!
ermio

Post by ermio »

I have both Bb Generation and Freeman Tweaked BbGeneration, both of them are great.

And the sound of this key... it's wonderful!!
riverman

Post by riverman »

The only problem I find with the tweaked Gen Bb is that it takes a lot of push to get a decent high end. And it sounds a bit muffled, according to my wife. So I'm looking at the Burkes, and a used Chieftan. Is there a difference in the hole spacing from the Gen (not to sound too dumb)?
And is the bottom hole in the Bb closer or farther from the next hole up than an B whistle--or an A?
It is okay for me to ask this since you'll never meet me in person and that gives me permission to be stupid.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
LadyDi

Post by LadyDi »

I got Ro3b a Burke Bb for his birthday last week. Mr. Burke shipped the instrument to me and I delivered it to Ro3b slightly used :lol:

I love his whistles, though, all keys. The Bb especially is mellow and heavy in your hand.
Es ist, daß eine Freude versteckt zu werden aber eine Katastrophe, nicht gefunden zu werden. - Donald Winnicott