Our new bunny...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
spittin_in_the_wind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Our new bunny...

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

We welcome "Pete the Bunny" who we adopted from a rabbit rescue in Rhode Island! He and three other rabbits were found hopping around a Target parking lot when they were rescued. All four have been adopted, including our Pete, who is proceeding to take over the house...

Robin
carrie

Post by carrie »

Aww. I think bunnies are wonderful pets and I wish your family and Pete many years of happy times!

Carol
Scott McCallister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Scott McCallister »

Seems strange that it is not encrusted with jewels... Does it vomit too?
There's and old Irish saying that says pretty much anything you want it to.

Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Is it true that bunnies are easy to litter-train?
djm

Post by djm »

How big do bunnies have to get before you cook them? They used to make up this dish on Bonanza, Hoss and Feathers, I think it was called .... :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

That's one cute bunny. I won't show that to my teenagers. The two remaining at home still want a snake, a ferret, and a pot-belly pig. I'm maxed out at 4 cats, a dog and a fish, sadly for them.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh, Pete is really a doll :lol: . He looks like quite a serious bunny for some reason. Maybe it's the circles around his eyes and his ears not being all perky up in the air.

I had a neighbor once who had a bunny named Penelope. She did stay in a large cage indoors when he was at work, but when he was home then she had the run of the house. He took her for little walks on the deck, too.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Lambchop wrote:Is it true that bunnies are easy to litter-train?
Depends on your definition of easy, but yes it is possible.
And they can play fetch.
And they are cute.
And I want one.
Or two.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
brianormond

Post by brianormond »

-I want one! We had a nice hare as kids and our smart dog knew not to bother it, giving it only an occasional sniff -either of friendly companionship or of restrained interest in its potential food value.

-We let her roam our large back yard and she'd scratch a wallow of cool dirt in hot weather. A wonderful hare condo Dad built had raised outdoor pen space connected to a raised interior hutch in the garage so bunny could roost in sheltered, insulated, enclosed and windless bliss during harsh weather. Raising pen and hutch off the ground is important so rabbits aren't sickened by constant cold, wet ground contact. Keeping your bunny an inside animal will likely improve its socialization and health and your enjoyment of each other.

-Best to you,
Brian
spittin_in_the_wind

Post by spittin_in_the_wind »

This bun is cool, and the advantage of adopting from a shelter is that we could pick one that would be compatible with our kids and who is already litterbox trained! We have had not a single problem with the litterbox issue, and minor chewing has been pretty much taken care of by covering the electrical cords with plastic casing and spraying bitter spray on some spots where he was pulling on the rug. He was neutered before he was released for adoption, which takes care of a lot of potential behavior problems...not that there have been any problems, he's been absolutely terrific! He's going to live solely in the house. I'm thinking of getting him microchipped just in case he did escape, since he was found wandering a parking lot, although it's likely that he and his friends were dumped there.

He has quite the personality, and his mission in life is to get into the room where the computer is, which is off limits! That, and racing around the living room like a race car, shredding newspaper, and jumping up on the couch to check out the view. He was pulling on the carpet the other day and I went and made him stop, so he came over and thumped right in front of me, basically telling me where to go! Our parrot is pretty jealous and is wondering why this THING came into the house...

If anyone is interested in getting a rabbit, I'd definitely suggest checking out shelters through the House Rabbit Society, and adopting a rescue bunny...I think there are also similar societies in other countries.

http://www.rabbit.org/

Robin
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

I love it. Great bunny, they are such fun. My girls had a huge lop years ago named Silflay, after reading Watership Down. She was a great pet and I know yours will be too.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Have you gotten any pancakes to put on his head yet?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

On feeding a bunny

timothy hay free choice
fresh greens 2 cups a day (carrots are not greens--carrot tops are)
commercial pellets, 1/4 cup per day

limited spinach (oxalates inhibit nutrient absorption) and broccoi (causes gas--bunnies can't burp)
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony