Favorite Music

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flying Cement

Favorite Music

Post by Flying Cement »

Just curious as to what music you all listen to besides your own.

Here are some of my favorites:

Steely Dan, Third Eye Blind, Harry Chapin, Allman Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Rolling Stones, Method Man, Beatles, Doobie Brothers, Beach Boys, Goo Goo Dolls, Cat Stevens, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Pink Floyd, The Who, Jackson Five, Billy Joel, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Notorious B.I.G., Nas, Led Zeppelin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Miles Davis, Antonio Vivaldi, Johann Sebeastian Bach, John Coltrane, Thelonius Monk, Elliott Smith, Badly Drawn Boy, Foo Fighters, Shins, Jada Kiss, Kid Rock, Mobb Deep, Nirvana, Shyne, Eminem, Claude Debussy, Trey Anastasio, The Guess Who, Credence Clearwater Revival
It doesn't mean that much to me
To mean that much to you
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

...there is hope that you will get over Credence :wink:
Flying Cement

Post by Flying Cement »

What about Penthouse Pauper??? :)
To mean that much to you
Flying Cement

Post by Flying Cement »

In all honesty, the most embarassing thing I have there is "Kid Rock", but for some reason a few of his songs are decent at getting me pumped up. So come on now, list a few of yours so I can be the critic!
To mean that much to you
Denny

Post by Denny »

well I did let slide all of the ones that I didn't recognize... :lol:
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My next door neighbor in my apartment building is playing her music loud tonight. Seeing all of the wine bottles in the recycling bin, I can understand why she likes loud music. Tonight it's John Denver. "Colorado Rocky Mountain High" has played several times already. I like it, though. I miss John Denver.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

The Pogues, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, Flogging Molly, The Casualties, Real McKenzies, Rancid, Dropkick Murphys, Tossers, Iron Maiden, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Wierd Al, Capercaillie, Metallica, Saratoga, Angeles del Infierno, La Tropa F, Michael Salgado, Selena, Rata Blanca, Lorena McKinnet, Motorhead, Jethro Tull, Bach, Brahms, Orff, Mozard, that russian composer whose name I can't seem to remember how to spell, Verde, Sex Pistols, Ramones, The Adicts, Oi Polloi, Williams...

*edited and edited further as I think of more*

Just whatever fits the current mood I guess.
Last edited by Coffee on Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Hmm...We've been through this in a number of previous threads, but people's tastes change over time, so why not...

At the moment it's:

Arto Lindsay, Gang of Four, Los Amigos Invisibles, Miles Davis, Hilliard Ensemble, Buzzcocks, Milton Nascimento, The Go-Betweens, Jack Frost, Joy Division, New Order, Underworld, JS Bach, The Smiths, Keith Jarrett, Elvis Costello, Os Mutantes, Caetano Veloso, Gilberto Gil (Viva As Tropicalistas!), Ryuichi Sakamoto (especially the Morelenbaum2/Sakamoto trio), Kirsty MacColl, Belle & Sebastian, Mogwai, Vince Guaraldi, Neko Case, The Durutti Column, The Velvet Underground, Lena Willemark & Ale Möller, Talking Heads, Les Yeux Noirs, Martyn Bennett, Nick Lowe, Pulp, Robert Wyatt, Hariprasad Chaurasia & Shivkumar Sharma, Thievery Corporation, Antonio Carlos Jobim, U. Srinivas, Saint Etienne, J.J. Johnson, Nouvelle Vague, Grandmaster Flash, Orange Juice, Nad Aislingean, Brian Eno, David Bowie, The Beatles, Bebel Gilberto, Väsen, 808 State, and perhaps saving the best for last...

The Bill Evans Trio (ca. "Waltz For Debbie"--one of the greatest albums ever...)
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

well, we have our dulcimer music groupings: David Schnaufer, Lee Rowe, Sweetwater, Gary Gallier, Neal Hellman, Steve Seifert, Tull Glazner, Linda Brockinton, Jean Ritchie, John McCutcheon, Rick Thum, Alan Darvauex, Butch Ross, Jerry Rockwell, Steven K. Smith, Nancy Bick Clark.

We have our "we've seen them in concert" groupings: Annie Macfie, Small Potatoes, Kentucky Standard Band, Alan Rhodie, Mike Cross, Spontaneous Combustion, Juggernaut Jug Band, Golden Bough, Tom Paxton, Kathy Barton and Dave Para, Chieftains, Alison Krause, Sunset Dawn, Reel World String Band, Dallas Moore.

We have our rock and others: Journey, CCR, Cyndi Lauper, Moody Blues, John Prine, Gordon Lightfoot, John Mellencamp, Arlo Guthry, lots of southern rock.

We have a collection of various bluegrass and Celtic groups and a lot of older country and C&W, Johnny Cash, Hank Sr. Bob Wills, Chet Atkins.

I think that about covers it.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

My favourite music is generally (but not exclusively) of the heavy and the metal variety:
Pantera, Metallica (pre Load), Megadeth, Deftones, Rage Against The Machine, Killswitch Engage, From Autumn To Ashes, Bonnie "Prince" Billy, Kelly Joe Phelps, Ugly Kid Joe, Tool, Alasdair Roberts, Mastadon, Faith No More, Tomahawk, Soundgarden and Refused.

That'll do for now.
Henke

Post by Henke »

Here's most of what I listen to right now in some sort of alphabetical order. There's more stuff than this of course, I usually listen to some new stuff every other day. I've also left a lot of stuff out that I haven't listened to in a good while, but I usually rediscover that music sooner or later if it's good.

Afro Celt Soundsystem, Alicia Keys, Atomic Fireballs, Audioslave, Bad Manners, Backyard Babies, Bloodhound Gang, Bothy Band, Cato Salsa Experience, Chieftains, Clannad, The Clash, Cornelis Vreeswijk, Denki Groove, Dimmu Borgir, Dir En Grey, Dream Theater, Dropkick Murphys, Eitre, Fatboy Slim, Fenix TX, Flogging Molly, Foo Fighters, Gackt, Glukoza Nostra, Great Big Sea, Green Day, Hedningarna, The Hellacopters, Hot Action Cop, Imperiet, Infected Mushroom, Jethro Tull, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Johnossi, Joji Hirota, Kevin Bloody Wilson, Led Zeppelin, The Liptones, Luna Sea, Lunasa, Madness, Marcus Miller, Mary Bergin, Massive Attack, Matt Molloy, MC5, Miles Davis, Millencolin, Mini Moni, Morrissey, Nick Cave, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Pain of Salvation, Pat Metheny, Pink Floyd, Prodigy, Queens of the Stone Age, Rage Against the Machine, Ramones, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Robbie Williams, Roxy Music, Sahara Hotnights, Sambomaster, Seamus Egan, Sex Pistols, Sharon Shannon, Shiva Shidapu, Siam Shade, Sirqus Alfon, Slipknot, The Smiths, Solas, The Sounds, Stephen Lynch, Steve Vai, Stevie Wonder, Stroke 9, The Strokes, Sugar Ray, System of a Down, Thomas Rusiak, Tom Jones, Turbonegro, U.S.C.B. Allstars, Värttinä, The Verve, Weird Al Yankovic, Wolfstone, X-Japan
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Congratulations »

Well, I've constructed a list for another internet excursion of mine, so I'll post that. It was in alphabetical order at one point, which is why ABBA is first. I really should hide that in the middle somewhere.

ABBA, The Allman Brothers, The Apples In Stereo, THE BAND, The Beach Boys, THE BEATLES, Bill Evans, Billy Joel, BOB DYLAN, Bruce Springsteen, The Byrds, Cat Power, Cat Stevens, Chuck Berry, Cream, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Crosby Stills Nash and Young, Damien Rice, Dave Brubeck, DAVID BOWIE, David Grisman, THE DECEMBERISTS, Donovan, The Doors, Electric Light Orchestra, Elton John, Elvis Costello, Eric Clapton, The Flaming Lips, Frank Sinatra, Frank Zappa, Gary Jules, Genesis, The Grateful Dead, Herb Alpert, Iron & Wine, James Taylor, Janis Joplin, Jethro Tull, Jim Croce, Jimi Hendrix, JOANNA NEWSOM, John Lennon, Johnny Cash, JONI MITCHELL, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin, Leonard Cohen, Linda Ronstadt, Little Richard, Louis Armstrong, Lynyrd Skynyrd, T. Rex, Modest Mouse, NEIL YOUNG, NEUTRAL MILK HOTEL, NICK DRAKE, PAUL SIMON, Phil Ochs, PINK FLOYD, Queen, Radiohead, RANDY NEWMAN, The Rolling Stones, Roy Orbison, SIMON AND GARFUNKEL, Steve Miller Band, Stevie Wonder, The Strokes, TALKING HEADS, Thelonious Monk, Tim Buckley, Tom Petty, Tracy Chapman, Uncle Tupelo, Van Morrison, The Velvet Underground, Warren Zevon, The White Stripes, The Who, Wilco, The Yardbirds, Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Jefferson Airplane, Yoko Ono, Buffalo Springfield, The Guess Who

I really hope no one reads all of that.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Why should I prattle off a list of my favourite music.
Who's interested? Who gives a flyin f*rt?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

talasiga wrote:Why should I prattle off a list of my favourite music.
You're getting the hang of it now.

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

talasiga wrote:Why should I prattle off a list of my favourite music.
Bach? Beethoven? Mozart? Schumann? Ravel? You gave me the courage to post. Cheers.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!