I WAS so pregnant!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Flyingcursor
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth wrote:There seem to be a number of Linus's in mythology and the stories are confusing. Here is a musical Linus:

"Son of Apollo and Terpsichore, he taught music to Orpheus and Herakles. Herakles killed him with Linus's own lyre after he reprimanded Herakles for making errors. According to other sources, he was the son of the muse Kalliope and the inventor of melody and rhythm."

This photo of a vase of some kind isn't very good. Since Herakles was a boy when he killed Linus, I would have thought that Linus was the bearded man. But the bearded man seems to be wielding the lyre which I thought Herakles should be wielding.

Well, the story doesn't have a good ending for Linus, but there is no Herakles now so perhaps your Linus will go on to become a great musician!
Wait. Is Linus being killed? From the quote it would indicate Linus was merely the owner of the Lyre that killed the Son of Apollo and Terpsichore.
Whta play is this. I love Greek plays!!!!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Cynth wrote:
" Herakles killed him with Linus's own lyre after he reprimanded Herakles for making errors. "

Linus will go on to become a great musician!
Just don't ever let him give music lessons to a musclehead!

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

WyoBadger wrote:
Cynth wrote:
" Herakles killed him with Linus's own lyre after he reprimanded Herakles for making errors. "

Linus will go on to become a great musician!
Just don't ever let him give music lessons to a musclehead!

Tom
Head knocker!
Head knocker!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Cynth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Cynth »

Flyingcursor wrote:
Cynth wrote:There seem to be a number of Linus's in mythology and the stories are confusing. Here is a musical Linus:

"Son of Apollo and Terpsichore, he taught music to Orpheus and Herakles. Herakles killed him with Linus's own lyre after he reprimanded Herakles for making errors. According to other sources, he was the son of the muse Kalliope and the inventor of melody and rhythm."

This photo of a vase of some kind isn't very good. Since Herakles was a boy when he killed Linus, I would have thought that Linus was the bearded man. But the bearded man seems to be wielding the lyre which I thought Herakles should be wielding.

Well, the story doesn't have a good ending for Linus, but there is no Herakles now so perhaps your Linus will go on to become a great musician!
Wait. Is Linus being killed? From the quote it would indicate Linus was merely the owner of the Lyre that killed the Son of Apollo and Terpsichore.
Whta play is this. I love Greek plays!!!!
Well, this particular version of the story has it that Herakles killed Linus, the son of Apollo. I should have copied the heading along with the quotation---I see what you mean. I don't know if this incident is in a play, but it is one of the stories of Herakles' life---that is, I don't know the written source of the story. I seem to remember something about Herakles not being considered wicked for killing Linus and that it was more a matter of Herakles not knowing his own strength. Although he did have a short temper I think. I am in way over my head here! :lol:

I should have put where I got that quotation before:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linus_(mythology)
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

My freakin' goodness. I went to my OB doc yesterday and she said nothing is happening still, and that it'll be a week or two more!!! My goodness!!! My daughter was three weeks early and this boy wants to be late?!? I HAVE to break my water...gotta figure out how.
~JessieD
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Oh no :lol: ! I'm sorry I'm laughing. Maybe Linus is still getting ready in some way that doesn't have to do with his weight. Like, he is thinking over the situation and isn't ready to make the leap yet. He might be one of those people who just won't be rushed. He needs to consider all the angles. I wouldn't want to do anything that might make him crabby!!!!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

Cynth wrote:Oh no :lol: ! I'm sorry I'm laughing. Maybe Linus is still getting ready in some way that doesn't have to do with his weight. Like, he is thinking over the situation and isn't ready to make the leap yet. He might be one of those people who just won't be rushed. He needs to consider all the angles. I wouldn't want to do anything that might make him crabby!!!!
You know, he may also just be paying attention to world events right now, and if I were him, I'd be perfectly content where I am as well. Look at from the little guy's point of view:
1) No need to feed himself - it all just comes in on its own
2) No need to relieve himself (I think that's taken care of)
3) It's warm and squishy in there (who doesn't like warm and squishy?)
4) No need to even breathe yet.
5) The world out here is scary as Hell (maybe this is Hell?). It doesn't get much safer than where he is now.

I dunno, Jessie -- unless you can give this guy a good reason *not* to be in there, it may still take some time.
(OK, so eventually, it'll get a bit too cramped for him to do his Yoga, but are we there yet?)
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

It's too cramped in there for him to do his yoga, but he's doing it anyway.

Hurray, though! SOMETHING happened. I lost my mucus plug (I know, gross, gross, gross, but part of the miracle of childbirth)! That means that labor will come on within two weeks! Hee hee. Usually, it means within a few days.
~JessieD
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm not sure I'm ready :lol: ! A few days! :boggle: :o :boggle: Okay, it's good to have the update. Maybe Linus is starting to get a little bored in there.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You ARE going to be blogging this for us, aren't you? Continuous updates and such? :D
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Lambchop wrote:You ARE going to be blogging this for us, aren't you? Continuous updates and such? :D

Blogging? Come on Lambchop, that's old school now, live webcam action is where it's at these days.

Loren
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Still here. Still pregnant. But something might be happening. I am having quasi-real contractions, though they are bearable and irregular in timing.

Once I go to the hospital, there will be no play-by play. You'll all know something has happened when the title of the thread changes.

:)
~JessieD
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Hang in there, Jessie!

My mom's birthday is the 18th.

My son Ryan's is the 22nd..... Maybe Linus wants to wait and be a Libra rather than a Virgo.....

M

(sorry, I grew up with "What's your sign???")
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

According to Graves, thre were several Linuses, but the most interesting one, adopted by Apollo and considered brother to Orpheus (to whom Linus taught the lyre) was the one who died by mastiffs. He is associated with the Flax industry - some lyre strings were flaxen.

So play him "The Flax in Bloom"!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Cynth

!

Post by Cynth »

Quasi-real contractions. Now I'm starting to get nervous. Yes, we'll watch for the title of the thread to change. That is a good idea.

When I was a young girl, there was a neighbor woman we girls just adored who was expecting her first baby. She told us that when she went to the hospital she would turn the plastic lawn flamingos in the opposite direction. One day we were all at a little get-together that she would normally have come to when we saw her and her husband drive off. We all just ran to look at those flamingos and, yep, they were turned around. We were so excited and happy!