Too-Thin models banned from Madrid fashion show

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Loren wrote:
Flyingcursor wrote:There've been several cutie pie threads where I've said, "She's too thin" (Andrea Corr, Rachel Rey), I wasn't joking.
Hmm, Rachel Ray is not thin. I'm not suggesting she's heavy, but she is certainly not thin. Interesting.

Loren
I have heard many people say that Rachel Ray is quite overweight.

To me, she looks just about right--any thinner and she'd start to look sickly and weak (which is how most women seem to want to look now).

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I'd say she appears to be a "healthy" weight - she seems to fit her body.

I don't think she'd look "sickly and weak" if she lost a little weight, nor do I think she'd look "fat" if she gained a little. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Loren
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I haven't weighed in here yet (hee hee). There was a man who lured me out of adolescence to Nashville, who liked scrawny women. I wasn't a scrawny woman. But one year I worked at it and became a scrawny woman for a few months. I had no energy whatsoever and I thought my face looked terrible. He thought I looked great. It didn't make him into a nice partner though, as I hoped it would. I finally gained a little weight on purpose, and then more by accident. I am not meant to be a skinny person. But weight is something I will probably always think about. My dad and his sister developed adult onset diabetes from being overweight (moderately, in his case, and massively, in hers) over teh course of many years. I am fortunate to be married now to a man who isn't skinny or fat, but is a bit round like me (of course, he's not pregnant, but soon my big, hard belly will be a soft one), and loves me independently of weight variation (I won't even qualify it by saying "within reason," because I know he'd love me at either extreme, too). Of course, we both want each other (and our family) to be healthy and will invest time and energy to that end.

I do think most female models look like little boys.
~JessieD
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote:I'd say she appears to be a "healthy" weight - she seems to fit her body.

I don't think she'd look "sickly and weak" if she lost a little weight, nor do I think she'd look "fat" if she gained a little. Guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

Loren
She definitely has "junk in the trunk" as the slang goes. Speaking of Food Network Stars, I think Gale Gand is definitely a cutie, and I don't think anyone could call her "thin".

Besides. She's a pastry chef....Which would you rather have? A 30-minute meal, or a sultry dessert? I know my preference :)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Ok. So Rachel Rey was a bad example.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Ex-husband (who is an exercise/workout nut and in incredible shape): "Would you bake a pound cake?"

Me (103 pounds--too thin): "Sure."

Cake is baked and husband is given a slice. Then another. Then another. He can do this because he runs/plays tennis/lifts weights. I go back later for a second slice.

Ex-husband: "Do you really think you need that?"

This is one of the reasons he's an ex-husband.

Susan
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

susnfx wrote:Ex-husband (who is an exercise/workout nut and in incredible shape): "Would you bake a pound cake?"

Me (103 pounds--too thin): "Sure."

Cake is baked and husband is given a slice. Then another. Then another. He can do this because he runs/plays tennis/lifts weights. I go back later for a second slice.

Ex-husband: "Do you really think you need that?"

This is one of the reasons he's an ex-husband.

Susan
... and 'good riddance', I'd guess! :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wanderer wrote: She definitely has "junk in the trunk" as the slang goes.
:lol: Yeah, Rachel's got back.

It's odd, I don't find her either particularly attractive, or unattractive. I mean she's "cute" but I don't find her appealing, which probably has something more to do with her on screen perosona than anything else.
Speaking of Food Network Stars, I think Gale Gand is definitely a cutie, and I don't think anyone could call her "thin".
Hmm, I haven't seen her or her show, but then I haven't been into watching the food network for all that long.
Besides. She's a pastry chef....Which would you rather have? A 30-minute meal, or a sultry dessert? I know my preference :)
I'm not a dessert guy, at all. It's really rare for me to eat dessert type stuff, it's usually far too sweet for me. I am a sucker for a killer cheese danish, now and then, however.

Loren
Last edited by Loren on Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

In spite of early rumblings about the thread possibly being locked or deleted, it has hit its fifth page.

The purpose of this note is just to say thanks to everyone who has participated for their efforts towards keeping this thread stay relatively tranquil and inoffensive.

This is especially true since, for many people, weight-related issues are an emotionally-charged subject.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote:
Wanderer wrote: She definitely has "junk in the trunk" as the slang goes.
:lol: Yeah, Rachel's got back. It's odd, I don't find either particularly attractive, or unattractive. I mean she's "cute" but I don't find her appealing, which probably has something more to do with her on screen perosona than anything else.
Speaking of Food Network Stars, I think Gale Gand is definitely a cutie, and I don't think anyone could call her "thin".
Hmm, I haven't seen her or her show, but then I haven't been into watching the food network for all that long.
I'm not a dessert guy, at all. It's really rare for me to eat dessert type stuff, it's usually far too sweet for me. I am a sucker for a killer cheese danish, now and then, however.

Loren
Her stuff isn't always that sweet...for instance, I got a recipe for to-die-for truffles from her that are made with dark chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, creme fraiche, espresso, and unsweetened powdered cocoa.

Note, no milk chocolates or added sugars. Rich and delightful ;)
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

peeplj wrote:In spite of early rumblings about the thread possibly being locked or deleted, it has hit its fifth page.

The purpose of this note is just to say thanks to everyone who has participated for their efforts towards keeping this thread stay relatively tranquil and inoffensive.

This is especially true since, for many people, weight-related issues are an emotionally-charged subject.

--James
Yes, glad it's been successful...

As for weight issues, personally, I would prefer to be less lumpy, but I do yoga and tai chi, am quite functional as long as I maintain them, and my hubby doesn't seem the least inclined to avoid my Rubenesque-ness. so... I'm not tempted to put much stock in anyone else's opinion. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wanderer wrote:Her stuff isn't always that sweet...for instance, I got a recipe for to-die-for truffles from her that are made with dark chocolate, bittersweet chocolate, creme fraiche, espresso, and unsweetened powdered cocoa.

Note, no milk chocolates or added sugars. Rich and delightful ;)
As it turns out, I'm not huge on choclolate either. I do have some friends who send me some wonderful german/swiss chocolate with nuts every year, which I really do enjoy a piece of from time to time :) Really I do think I'm a bit abnormal with regards to sweets, but I hear what your saying, and I might very well enjoy pastry and/or recipies from a fine pastry chef.

Hmm, this reminds me of breadmaking, might need to start a new topic....

Loren
Wanderer
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Loren wrote:
As it turns out, I'm not huge on choclolate either.
I guarantee you, I don't make those truffles for me :lol:
Loren
Make a new plan, Stan
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Wanderer wrote:
Loren wrote:
As it turns out, I'm not huge on choclolate either.
I guarantee you, I don't make those truffles for me :lol:

Ahh, wise man. :wink:

Loren
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Wanderer wrote:I guarantee you, I don't make those truffles for me :lol:
Yeah! Or me! :moreevil:

:lol:
anniemcu