OT: Attention Trekkies

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hillfolk22
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hillfolk22 »

Did anyone watch the new episode of Enterprise yesterday?

I was a bit disappointed.

It was like waiting in line for a new rollercoster, riding it, leaving it, and asking yourself, "is that it?"

Now the new Generations movie looks good. Where will you be December 13th?

Laura
ScottStewart

Post by ScottStewart »

I know what you mean. I taped it so I could watch it today, and I dozed off watching it this morning. I still haven't seen the last half hour.
Image Scott

"Peace is not defined by the absence of war."
markv

Post by markv »

Hey not fair! it doesn't air here until the 22nd. I'm just bitter because the only way I can watch it is on UHF on a 1978 10" black and white TV. Stupid #$%&* cable service doesn't offer it here.

Mark V

still trying to imagine Jason Alexander as captain. mmmmmmhhhh nope, just don't see it.
lollycross

Post by lollycross »

Yes, disappointing, and we STILL don't know
who the bad guy is that is telling the
ugly-guys to pick on us.....and there
wasn't even one whistle in the episode, ha ha
Lolly
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Just yesterday, I read on this forum that the proper term was "trekker" and not "trekkie". Now here, you're referring to yourselves as trekkies. I'm getting confused. Would someone please make the distinction for me.

I'm completely ignorant of the whole phenomenon, except for the one episode of Deep Space Nine I watched. A friend of mine had a guest role. Unfortunately, he was unrecognizable with the makeup.

The whole Star Trek thing looks more complicated to me than the Overton/Goldie/Chieftan story.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jim_mc on 2002-09-19 11:21 ]</font>
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

Wow! I had no idea. I promise never to use the "ie" word again.

I'm surprised this wasn't part of my corporate sensitivity training.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I always heard it was the old-trek vs next-gen-trek that made the difference, never considered it derogatory. I suspect most others don'e either and that;s why we interchange them.
fiddling_tenor

Post by fiddling_tenor »

Waiting in line to see "LOTR: The Two Towers." :smile:
Paul

Post by Paul »

I've never heard any term other than Trekkie until just now.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

The first (and only, really) time I ever heard "Trekker" was when I watched the funny documentary "Trekkies." I can't remember how the people in that defined the difference, and I don't really care...I don't consider "Trekkies" a derogatory term, and I don't mind if people call me one.

As to last night's "Enterprise" episode...I thought it was better than some episodes they had last year, but not super exciting. I was a little disappointed in it--thought they tried to fit too much into too little time, and made big jumps they shouldn't have (things working out perfectly without much explanation why, etc.) I still am not a devoted fan of "Enterprise" yet...I'm loyally giving it time, though, since it took me a year or two to like "Voyager," and now I love it.

As for Dec. 13...I'm there!! I hope my husband and I can find a babysitter so we can be there on opening day! :smile:

PS I'm also going to be waiting in line for Nov. 15 (Harry Potter!) and LOTR. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cees on 2002-09-19 12:56 ]</font>
Sunnywindo

Post by Sunnywindo »

On 2002-09-19 07:03, hillfolk22 wrote:

Now the new Generations movie looks good. Where will you be December 13th?
Tinsel Town movie theater, sevenish showing, Layton, Utah (I hope). :grin:

Mmmmm. By that articles definition, I'm not a Trekker or a Trekie.

First, I would not define myself as "very serious-minded person who has an interest in Star Trek for its philosophy and phenomenon." I mean, I really like Star Trek and all, but I've never taken any TV show <B>that</B> seriously... especially not enough to dissect out the philosophical meaning of each episode.

Secondly, I have never, nor do I ever envision myself dressed up as any Star Trek type of character. Just not that into costumes. Though I would probably attend a Star Trek convention, but only if it came to my home area so I didn't have to travel far and wide to get there. :smile:

Does anyone else here enjoy Star Trek, but find that they don't fit into that article's definitions of Trekker or Trekie? Where does that leave us? :???:

How about a third category of just "Star Trek Fan"? :razz:

As for last night's Enterprise, I liked it. Sure, I guess it could have been better, so could a lot of things. Didn't go into it with some preconceived notion of what I thought it should be, just sat back and enjoyed the ride for what it was. Or maybe I'm just easily entertained. :wink:
'I wish it need not have happend in my time,' said Frodo.
'So do I,' said Gandalf, 'and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.'

-LOTR-
Kar

Post by Kar »

I am a long-time Trek watcher, the original series as well as Next Gen and DS9. I tried to get into Voyager, but I can't stand Janeway and too many of the episodes contained blatent pandering.

I HAD some hopes for Enterprise, and about four of the episodes from last season were promising. But last night's premiere... Well, I just kept hoping it would get better but it never did. Besides having a few unforgiveably clunky and bad lines, it also just seemed like not much happened. However, I think the main problem is that Rick Berman and Brandon Braga wrote it, as they do almost every Trek finale and premiere, and they are just not all that good as writers. So I'm hoping they will hire some decent writers and the series will pick up. We'll see.

BTW, last night I used my new criteria that I developed to find out how good a time I am having. I ask myself: would I rather be playing my whistle? And sadly, after the show was over, I wished I had played my whistle instead.
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Sunnywindo,
I fit exactly into the category you described! Let's do just call it "Star Trek fan."

Do you or will you be living in Utah? If so, GREAT! Another whistling Utahn!

:smile:
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

As Daniel Bingamon once said,
Reasonable person
Walden