4-way stop. What do YOU do?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

You're the ONLY car approaching a 4-way stop. What do you do?

Come to a complete stop then proceed.
81%
Slow down (but not stop) then proceed.
17%
Stop sign... What stop sign?
2%

Total votes: 47

Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

In the UK there is an old joke - forgive me, I may have told it here before, I'm getting old.

Four vehicles approach a (four entrance) roundabout and stop at the white lines at exactly the same time. They are: a family saloon <insert make of choice here>, a taxi, a BMW (or an SUV) and a motorcycle.
Which goes first?

The first one to stop laughing after the BMW and the taxi collide.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

:lol:
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Downtown Santa Cruz is all four-way stops. What makes it a pain is that pedestrians will go out of their way to enter an intersection before cars can start to move (even cutting corners or running to get there before the stopped car can start to roll, so they can power trip the poor driver). That's technically not legal (cars are required to yield to pedestrians already in crosswalks, but not to remain stopped until every pedestrian in sight has exercised his option to cross the street)...it's actually "impeding traffic" from a legal standpoint, but I have yet to see a pedestrian ticketed for it. Consequently, you see a lot more "roll through" stops in downtown Santa Cruz than you do elsewhere around here...sometimes it's the only way you can get through at all, especially on Farmers Market night or when there's a major concert in town!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
emmline

Post by emmline »

What the heck, in UK speak, is a saloon?
'Round these parts, it's the pub with the swinging door that you bust through in a black cowboy hat. Then you order sarsparilla. In a dirty glass.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

emmline wrote:What the heck, in UK speak, is a saloon?
'Round these parts, it's the pub with the swinging door that you bust through in a black cowboy hat. Then you order sarsparilla. In a dirty glass.
Hi emmline

A saloon is a sedan in US speak

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saloon_car

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
emmline

Post by emmline »

Thanks Davy. I trust they don't come with swinging doors in the UK.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Redwolf wrote:Downtown Santa Cruz is all four-way stops. What makes it a pain is that pedestrians will go out of their way to enter an intersection before cars can start to move (even cutting corners or running to get there before the stopped car can start to roll, so they can power trip the poor driver). That's technically not legal (cars are required to yield to pedestrians already in crosswalks, but not to remain stopped until every pedestrian in sight has exercised his option to cross the street)...it's actually "impeding traffic" from a legal standpoint, but I have yet to see a pedestrian ticketed for it. Consequently, you see a lot more "roll through" stops in downtown Santa Cruz than you do elsewhere around here...sometimes it's the only way you can get through at all, especially on Farmers Market night or when there's a major concert in town!

Redwolf
dear redwolf: the "roll through" stop in known as a "hollywood" or "california" stop here in west virginia.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Miwokhill

Post by Miwokhill »

This reminds me of the question 'What do you call someone who only looks one way before crossing a one-way street?' A. An optimist.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

4-way stop? I wish the other guys would just go on, instead of waving each other on, all day.
Reasonable person
Walden
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Wanderer wrote:In Texas, the car to the right does not have the right of way. The drivers have to work that out for themselves, though the "right goes first" is supposedly common convention, it's not law. Often it comes down to who's got the testosterone to make a move first....
When I saw the words "In Texas....", I thought you were going to say the the driver with the handgun gets the right-of-way.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:
Wanderer wrote:In Texas, the car to the right does not have the right of way. The drivers have to work that out for themselves, though the "right goes first" is supposedly common convention, it's not law. Often it comes down to who's got the testosterone to make a move first....
When I saw the words "In Texas....", I thought you were going to say the the driver with the handgun gets the right-of-way.
You know, unlike some states (like florida) there's not a whole lot of honking that goes on during rush hour, come to think of it...
jbarter

Post by jbarter »

My choice wasn't in the poll. I let the driver worry about things like that. :)
May the joy of music be ever thine.
(BTW, my name is John)
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

You Englishmen place roundabouts so often in order to laugh at all the rest of left-hand drivers.

Always stop. Police, radars, recording traffic cams and helicopters, conceales for sure around you.

Uh!, it prevent crashes as well...
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Sylvester wrote:You Englishmen place roundabouts so often in order to laugh at all the rest of left-hand drivers.

Always stop. Police, radars, recording traffic cams and helicopters, conceales for sure around you.

Uh!, it prevent crashes as well...
Yeah, Sylvester, but what about that huge great scary roundabout you have at the exit of the Santander car ferry terminal! That was the first time I'd ever driven on the right, and I rapidly discovered that you need a computer program to work out what to do at Spanish roundabouts. :o Talk about a baptism of fire. Luckily for me, the Spanish drivers showed great restraint. I'm told that this is not always the case. :boggle:
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

don't even get me started about 4way stops here in Utah...
Nary a driver knows how to use them...they all wanna go at the same time, cause everybody's gotta be first...grrr.

Oh, and then theres this one light, Susan probably knows about it if she's been out this way much, but there's this one light by my house where traffic zapps through at a constant ten to fifteen over the limit (the limit is already 40mph fer creyin'outloud!!) and always ALWAYS there's one azwipe who's gotta run the light three or four seconds after the red...supergrrrrrrr. :moreevil:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown