Kee Chen

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
talasiga
antispam: No

Kee Chen

Post by talasiga »

Remember the Japanese chef for MacHale's Navy? They called him Kee chen? Remember?

Well this is not about him. It's about kitchens.

You know I hate - I really really hate certain types of kitchens
1. Pretty little dolly house kitchens
2. Glossy bossy nouveau riche kitchens
3. Dirty or untidy or cluttered kitchens.

I can explain these if you llike. Its not just about me though. Can we talk about this?
:)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Talasiga, do you think that there is hope for a kitchen with three cat boxes?
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Mr Tipple! Such a kitchen would immediately come under category 3 for me, no matter how acceptable it may be be in every other respect.

A kitchen with 3 cat boxes is like a kitchen with 30 mousetraps on the floor.

I would never walk bare foot in such a kitchen!
:x
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Talasiga, do you think that there is hope for a kitchen with three cat boxes?
No hope.
bad fung shui,
very bad feng shui.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Doug_Tipple wrote:a kitchen with three cat boxes
Planning for a Chinese banquet? :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

In my kitchen, I require the following: A big sink (with no dirty dishes in it, preferably); plenty of counter space; good, sharp knives, readily accessible; a gas stove; a reasonably accurate oven; lots of cabinet space and drawers. I try to keep the counters uncluttered so they can be cleaned easily; that's important. I'd love to have a marble slab for baking, but haven't managed that yet. Oh, and lots and lots of light. (I can never get enough light onto my kitchen work space. I keep putting up those little halogen lights under the cabinets, but they keep shorting out, or something). My dream kitchen would have a skylight or two, and under-cabinet lighting that actually works. --And I have to be able to listen to music while I cook. Aesthetics take a back seat to all those considerations.
:wink:
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

scottielvr wrote:In my kitchen, I require the following: A big sink (with no dirty dishes in it, preferably); plenty of counter space; good, sharp knives, readily accessible; a gas stove; a reasonably accurate oven; lots of cabinet space and drawers. I try to keep the counters uncluttered so they can be cleaned easily; that's important. I'd love to have a marble slab for baking, but haven't managed that yet. Oh, and lots and lots of light. (I can never get enough light onto my kitchen work space. I keep putting up those little halogen lights under the cabinets, but they keep shorting out, or something). My dream kitchen would have a skylight or two, and under-cabinet lighting that actually works. --And I have to be able to listen to music while I cook. Aesthetics take a back seat to all those considerations.
:wink:
Yes, I know that you like seeing the blue flame with a gas stove, but what you don't see is the problem. Gas stoves and ovens give off a toxic gas (nitrous oxide, I believe) into the indoor environment. I'm sorry, but I cannot tolerate being in a kitchen where gas appliances are being used. In my opinion, a healthy kitchen should be all electric.
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Gas stoves and ovens give off a toxic gas (nitrous oxide, I believe) into the indoor environment. I'm sorry, but I cannot tolerate being in a kitchen where gas appliances are being used. In my opinion, a healthy kitchen should be all electric.
Point well taken; and I appreciate the health concerns you raise. (The main gas given off is CO). I'm always careful to provide good ventilation from the window plus outside-vent range hood; and the stove is kept clean, and the burners kept properly adjusted (blue flame good, yellow flame bad, to express it simplistically).

My choice of a gas stove is primarily practical (they just work much better for cooking, I feel)...but also economic; where I live, propane is much much less expensive. I take the above precautions, and otherwise... Heck. I smoke. The few ppm of CO from the stove that might remain undissipated or unvented, well... kind of pales in the face of that fact. I never claimed to be the least bit sensible. :wink:

P.S. Speaking of health concerns...3 litter boxes? In a kitchen? Were that a commercial establishment, I suspect a public health department would take a rather dim view of it. :wink:
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Doug_Tipple wrote:a kitchen with three cat boxes?
How about some Kitty Litter Cake?
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/de ... rcake.html
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

If at all feasible, I cook outside. Stove is a distand second option.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Cat boxes in the kitchen.

Doug, I am sure you are kidding us.

M
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Whistlin'Dixie wrote:Cat boxes in the kitchen.

Doug, I am sure you are kidding us.

M
He didn't admit to that. He just asked a question.
He may have cat boxes but we know not on the evidence at hand.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

My kitchen is very small, often cluttered with non-kitchen things, and a Bull Terrier always under foot looking for scraps of this and that which should happen to find their way to the floor. It's not a dirty kitchen, but I think it would fall under your catagory 3.
missy

Post by missy »

My kitchen is way too small, and most of the cabinet and shelves were made for a person much taller than I am.
But since Tom does most of the cooking, I can live with it!

Seriously, we would like to gut it and completely redo it, but that's one of those "get around to-its". The person that owned the house before me did one of those cabinet redos where they paste laminate on them, and I can't stand it. The counter tops are also laminate (which I can live with), but they have a very small backsplash, and the wall behind needs to have something done with it. It has built in burners (electric) and built in oven (not a self cleaning) - both need to be updated.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

missy wrote:...and built in oven (not a self cleaning) - both need to be updated.
What do people bake that makes their oven so dirty? I cannot think of the last time that I had something burned to the oven. If I am going to bake something that may boil over (pecan pie etc) I just put a cookie sheet down under it.

My apartment's oven two moves ago was an old gas oven that didn't have a pilot light, you had to light it and wait for the blue fireball. I wish I could have taken it with me. The burners provided even heat and the oven was always spot on for the temp. One night I was over at the neighbor's apartment during one of our “home made” pizza nights. The power went out and my stove was the only one in the apartment that didn't need electricity to work. The pilot light in the center kept tea warm.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."