another ebay scam YES IT WAS!

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Official Ebay communications will have your full name (not Ebay user name). They will also be on your "my Ebay" page. If it is not there, it is almost certainly a scam.

The ones asking for password verification almost arrive early in the morning or late at night, when people are not thinking that clearly. Ebay and Paypal really need to go to a photo icon site verification like many banks have. The gist is that each user selects an image icon from thousands and that image icon will appear whenever they are on a real screen from the bank. It would require less overhead than the Chiff icons (not much).
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Create a bogus email address (ie: Hotmail... costs you nothing) and reply to the offer, dragging it out for WEEKS and many, many emails. Make up numerous excuses why you can't send the money immediately (my favorite is that I belong to a religious cult which prohibits owning a bank account...all funds must come through the church). Personally, I find torturing these scum a highly entertaining pasttime. One anti-scam sniper actually got the scammer to send money so he could cover the cost of admitting the scammer into the "Church of Bob Dobson", since his religion prohibited financial transactions outside of his faith. He also made the scammer sign a statement of membership (which was worded in a ludicrous manner, making statements which would have any sane person screaming for the door in an instant) and submit a photo of themselves with a fish on their head (I'm not making this up). If you have doubts, see 419eater.com.
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Sylvester

Post by Sylvester »

Dave, it cannot be true...that's too much fun

I love it!
Reel
Asturian Air

Audare est Facere
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:Create a bogus email address (ie: Hotmail... costs you nothing) and reply to the offer, dragging it out for WEEKS and many, many emails. Make up numerous excuses why you can't send the money immediately (my favorite is that I belong to a religious cult which prohibits owning a bank account...all funds must come through the church). Personally, I find torturing these scum a highly entertaining pasttime. One anti-scam sniper actually got the scammer to send money so he could cover the cost of admitting the scammer into the "Church of Bob Dobson", since his religion prohibited financial transactions outside of his faith. He also made the scammer sign a statement of membership (which was worded in a ludicrous manner, making statements which would have any sane person screaming for the door in an instant) and submit a photo of themselves with a fish on their head (I'm not making this up). If you have doubts, see 419eater.com.
Dave
Oh my God... What a story!
http://www.419eater.com/html/okorie.htm
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: e-bay scam

Post by Cathy Wilde »

kmag wrote:Hello,
I go to work early in the morning otherwise I could have saved everyone a lot of hassle.
I am the high bidder on that flute and have already comunicated with Mr. Olwell. It should be here by Friday. There were two bidders for the same amount but mine was in first, it was that close.
I was waiting to get the flute before posting anything about it.
Good luck to all and be careful.
Kurt
Congratulations, Kurt! It's a beauty.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.