boehm flute + wooden headjoint

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
dcopley
antispam: No

Post by dcopley »

No apologies necessary Cathy, and no offense taken. In fact I should thank you for mentioning Brian's flute in the first place and giving me the opportunity to sneak a stealth commercial posting in under the C&F radar!

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
michael_coleman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Jon C. wrote:
michael_coleman wrote:I had someone come by my office at work and saw the black and white pictures of people playing Irish flutes on my walls and she said she has always wanted to play Irish flute, but she plays boehm flutes. I suggested to contact Jon (since I love my flute made by him), but I also said there were others who made wooden headjoints for boehm flutes and that might be a route for her to go down. Does a wooden headjoint make that much of a difference to the sound of the flute?
I was worried that you might have gone over to the dark side! This talk of Boehm flutes and all... :P
Micheal, you will have to come by sometime and play all my antique flutes... :party:
\

Yeah, no dark side for me...I love the old style flutes and the sound they produce...I don't think I'd ever consider going "silver".

I know I need to get down your way...you keep amassing all of these wonderful antique flutes. And its about time I play them. Are you back up from Washington? Maybe this Saturday might work out since my wife will be gone for most of the day and that way I can miss most traffic. Send me an email and let me know if that works.
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

During my Boehm days, I played a wood headjoint for a few years. Yes, it does sound different from silver, and it feels quite different to the player. In fact, a wood head on a silver body was the combination recommended by Herr Theobald Boehm himself.
But, as mentioned, it doesn't make a Boehm flute sound like a simple-system flute--that's more a function of the different bores, wall thicknesses, and tone-hole configurations than material.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I would be interested in seeing an unkeyed, conical,
simple system silver flute. I heard once that
M.Copeland an Jim R. were making a flute head
for their silver low D whistle, but nothing seems to
have come of the rumor.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

dcopley wrote:No apologies necessary Cathy, and no offense taken. In fact I should thank you for mentioning Brian's flute in the first place and giving me the opportunity to sneak a stealth commercial posting in under the C&F radar!

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
Hee-hee, it was all part of a ingeniously-constructed viral marketing plan.

;-)

Seriously ... thank you for being so generous to my fault, David.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

michael_coleman wrote:
Jon C. wrote: I was worried that you might have gone over to the dark side! This talk of Boehm flutes and all... :P
Yeah, no dark side for me...I love the old style flutes and the sound they produce...I don't think I'd ever consider going "silver".
I seem to be headed in the opposite direction from going silver. First romantic flutes, now rococco. . . By the time I die, I'm sure I'll be back to the ulna bone of a giant sloth with a couple of holes bored into it by a piece of flint.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
mitch_i

Post by mitch_i »

I've found a less expensive alternative, the Grenaditte headjoint from Guo Musical Instrument Company in Taiwan. I tried this out and bought it for $300 at the recent convention of the National Flute Association.

http://cermet.flute.com.tw/product.php?mode=list&cid=57

It's a composite material, definitely not wood, but I think it has most of the playing qualities of wood. It has a much warmer and darker sound than the nice silver headjoint that came with my Sonare flute. And the first thing I noticed about it is that it's very responsive. I put it to my lips not knowing what to expect, and was surprised at how easy it was. If there's a weakness, it might be the sound and responsiveness in the third octave. Of course, it could be that I'm just getting used to it.

Mitch I.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Thanks for the info, Mitch. Whoa, those Cermet flutes on their website are wild! Did they have any of those at the convention, and did you try one? If so, what on earth did the key action feel like?
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
mitch_i

Post by mitch_i »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Thanks for the info, Mitch. Whoa, those Cermet flutes on their website are wild! Did they have any of those at the convention, and did you try one? If so, what on earth did the key action feel like?
This time they were only selling the headjoints, but at the Nashville convention two years ago they had the Cermet flutes. I don't remember the details, but I think the feel was very different, mostly lighter, but the sound wasn't dramatically different from a silver flute.

Mitch I.
daiv

Post by daiv »

dcopley wrote:No apologies necessary Cathy, and no offense taken. In fact I should thank you for mentioning Brian's flute in the first place and giving me the opportunity to sneak a stealth commercial posting in under the C&F radar!

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
i was going to contact you / him to ask if it was ok to mention it. but i hadnt the time. i'm glad you saw the link and corrected it! i wasnt sure if you wanted people to know, as it was a prototype.

i've been itching to try it. i havent seen my uncle since he got it :(.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

chas wrote: I seem to be headed in the opposite direction from going silver. First romantic flutes, now rococco. . . By the time I die, I'm sure I'll be back to the ulna bone of a giant sloth with a couple of holes bored into it by a piece of flint.

Hey buddy, wanna buy an avatar?
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
le_koukou
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by le_koukou »

Why refering to the Boehm flute as being the "dark" side? Silver is bright and blackwood is dark. The Boehm tone is clear and bright, the conical flute tone is dirty and dark. Right Jedi?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Bright is dark, Grasshopper, dirty is bright,
which is why the Man of Complete Wisdom
plays the kazoo!
Dana
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dana »

jim stone wrote:Bright is dark, Grasshopper, dirty is bright,
which is why the Man of Complete Wisdom
plays the kazoo!
:lol:
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

So my question is, why would you want one?

I'm interested because I've been thinking along similar lines but only because I think it's "cool".

Does it enhance response or does it provide a tonal quality better than a silver headjoint? If so does it apply to all types of music?
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm