Animal Abuse

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Animal Abuse

Post by Loren »

What the heck is wrong with people like this anyway??? (Rhetorical question, not seeking a medical opinion) :

http://www.gsrne.org/neglect.htm

Makes me wish I believed in Hell.

Loren
emmline

Re: Animal Abuse

Post by emmline »

Loren wrote:What the heck is wrong with people like this anyway???
lots. hard to pinpoint.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Loren wrote: Makes me wish I believed in Hell.
Their life is probably pretty hellish as it is. I'm not saying there's no more brimstone ahead, though.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

we have two rescue dogs (boxers)...........

I really can't write any more........
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Loren wrote:What the heck is wrong with people like this anyway??? (Rhetorical question, not seeking a medical opinion) :

http://www.gsrne.org/neglect.htm

Makes me wish I believed in Hell.

Loren
I clicked on the link, then changed my mind. I really don't need to see this. I do believe in Hell and I'm sure they've got their special section.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

I could fu*** kill such people.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

cowtime wrote: I clicked on the link, then changed my mind. I really don't need to see this. I do believe in Hell and I'm sure they've got their special section.
I probably should have mentioned that there are no really graphic photos, what I posted is a link to an article, but not one that is overly sensational or graphic. Still, I certainly understand not wanting to read it. I can only handle this stuff mysel in small doses.

Good for you Missy, taking home rescue Boxers :) They're great dogs, if a bit rambunctious :wink: Wish I could take home a rescue GSD, but it's not possible at the moment. So many good dogs (and cats, but I'm allergic) need good homes :(

Loren
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Of our 5 ferrets, 2 are rescues.

The latest, Chupie, was damn near dead when we got her...according to the previous owner, "sleepy." Yeah, right.

She was malnourished, literally crawling with fleas, and was so bled out by them that she was semi-conscious and her gums were white.

She's fine now, I'm happy to report....we got her in time.

Shannon and I are big believers in rescue animals.

Sometimes I think it's a shame people aren't made to live as they themselves have made their animals to live.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

Its unclear how this person made his income, how he managed to own several properties in different states, if he was too simple to be competenet, or in some mental state that prevented him from looking after himself or the dogs. I suspect there was much more going on than reported.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Sigh. I hope I can rescue some bettas soon. It's time for the annual Federal Combined Campaign, during which employees of federal agencies contribute to charitable causes. One woman in my department thinks it's intensely cool to raffle off betta fish. She dumps them into a cheap glass vase, ties a bow around it, then plops a spathyphyllum plant into the opening. The fish are terrorized.

These then get raffled off to people who have no idea what to do with the fish. She tells them they eat the plant roots and need no other care. The stupid female sees nothing whatsoever wrong with this . . . "They're just FISH, Peggy. FISH! You need to get a life! Get out of my raffle!"

It's pathetic. Last year I offered to buy the fish outright for more than she could have raffled them for. She was furious.

We hung around in the hallway outside and gave people money to buy raffle tickets, which they then gave to us. We were able to rescue one fish this way. It couldn't swim by the time we got it, but it's fine now (a year later).

Using our Neverfail Sneak Phone Net--a hotline to the biggest gossip in every department--we located the winner of the other one and descended upon her with care instructions and betta food.

It's that time of year again. I'll have to remember to bring some Emergency Betta Rescue Modules (Ziploc food containers) to work, just in case.
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Just as my faith in humanity was starting, gradually, to get back into the positive numbers (I think it was around .0015) a story like this comes along that plunks it firmly back into negative.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Grrrrrr.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Lamby, I love your fish story.
The two grand-goldfish I keep getting to provide vacation care for were rescued from my daughters' college bio lab, where they were next in line to be tossed to the big fish. (who have to eat something, I guess. I would have an awfully hard time having a snake and feeding it live mice.)
But those Betta plant set ups are stupid, no question. My son has a thriving betta, salvaged as a fry from a school science project last year.

Our dog is from the city pound. Our cats from 1)an old lady who had to move to a retirement home, 2)a careless family who figured their cats were part of the local fauna and didn't need care or neutering, and 3)a stray.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

emmline wrote: I would have an awfully hard time having a snake and feeding it live mice.)

Our dog is from the city pound. Our cats from 1)an old lady who had to move to a retirement home, 2)a careless family who figured their cats were part of the local fauna and didn't need care or neutering, and 3)a stray.

Admittedly, feeding Congo was tough the first time. But, she is our pet, and she has to eat, too.

Our cats are also rescue. The number of absolutely gorgeous cats at the local PetSmart is astounding.

I think that some folks do have a mental disorder, as far as "hoarding" animals, that is why when they get chased out of one area, they pop up somewhere else with their many creatures. Not saying it is right, it's horrible, but I really think there is something wrong with some of these people. Their animals should be collected, and the perpetrator should be given treatment for their illness, if possible.

And I think if you go to www.mytoos.com you will see a whole different kind of cruel.
don't go if you can't stomach it.

M (Biology Degree)
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

One of our cats was "inherited" from my sister-in-law, who was moving from Manchester to Stirling and saw no reason to make any provision for the cat. We took it on, in some disgust. The thing was skin and bone. The vet said it wouldn't live for six months. It turned out that she never cleaned the cat dish - just dumped more tinned catfood onto the rotting remains that was already there. And because the cat didn't seem to eat much, she didn't feed it much.

It doubled in size after we took it in, and it lived another three years.

There is no limit to human perfidy.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!