For those who has V shaped upper lip at the centre

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Tchie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

For those who has V shaped upper lip at the centre

Post by Tchie »

I noticed that some people share the same problem as I have:
V shaped upper lip at the centre

I wonder how the other people manage to blow and sound nice.

For me, because of this v shape on the upper lip (at the centre), I make the embouchure on the left. As I have small hands and arms, I can gain some distance (in others words, my face is placed pretty right to the normal facial position of the normal people) You do not have problem with airly sound?
Jon C.
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Re: For those who has V shaped upper lip at the centre

Post by Jon C. »

Tchie wrote:I noticed that some people share the same problem as I have:

For me, because of this v shape on the upper lip (at the centre), I make the embouchure on the left. As I have small hands and arms, I can gain some distance (in others words, my face is placed pretty right to the normal facial position of the normal people) You do not have problem with airly sound?
Kevin Krell can chime in at some point on this thread... :D
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I have that problem, too, and I also tend to blow a bit off to the side...poor genetics and getting hit with a fire hydrant cap when I was sevenish are to blame.

Eric
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Weird lips!

Post by Gaaslaj »

I too have a V upper lip, so I play on the left side of it and close my lips on the right side. This has been on the forum before, but go to this website and click on the letter "O". There's a lot of funny looking embouchures that work, J.

http://www.larrykrantz.com/embpic.htm
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Jon C. wrote:
Tchie wrote:I noticed that some people share the same problem as I have:

Kevin Krell can chime in at some point on this thread... :D
Why me? OK, I have the "teardrop" and thus would likely be kicked out of the Boehm flute player's club. Of course, I'd first have to leave because I didn't start playing at age 7, 6, 5, or even 4.

BTW, mildly off-topic, is an interesting article about other embouchure-related problems, and exercises toward solutions, in the Spring 2000 issue of the Flutist Quarterly, a publication of the National Flute Association. The article is "Myofunctional Disabilities and the Flute" by Judith Thomas. It discusses the primary muscles involved, the "buccinator" (jaw) muscles, "masseter" (chewing) muscles, and the "orbicularis oris" (moustache or whisting) muscles, and their use in focusing the airstream and controlling tone.

Anyway, I don't think anyone is doomed to be unable to play flute because of the teardrop condition. The most common solution I've seen discussed previously, whether on the woodenflute list or somewheres on C&F is to play with the airstream offset to one side of the teardrop. The main thing is to be able to find a position that allows you a reasonable amount of consistency.

I find that insisting to try and play in the center of the lip means that I will have more daily variation and frustration than just adapting to one's anatomy. However, I have also found over time, that the greater the control of the muscles in the face around the lip, that appropriate tension for flute playing also seems to pull the teardrop up and flatten my upper lip, so perhaps my problem is less pronounced now.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Dana

Post by Dana »

kkrell wrote: Why me? OK, I have the "teardrop" and thus would likely be kicked out of the Boehm flute player's club.
Kevin Krell
Nope, you'd be most welcome. Rampal (world-famous Boehm French flutist, now deceased) also played off center, but I gather that he didn't actually have the teardrop, he just naturally played off center.

I do have a bit of a teardrop, and play toward the left of my embouchure. Trying to force it towards the middle is a losing battle, in my opinion. My goal as an admittedly Boehm player is to maintain a clear, resonant, big sound, with the most natural position for my mouth. I've spent years perfecting this, and my best position has always been off center. (Others' mileage may vary). As an aside, I think it might be a bit harder at first for some of us with a teardrop. When I started flute at age 11, I couldn't get much sound out of a bottle. :lol:

Dana
Gaaslaj
Tell us something.: I'm selling a whistle, I'm a long-time member, thanks, John. Looks like I need more words, wow, really hard to update this, not sure what else to write, hope this is enough.

Teardrop

Post by Gaaslaj »

I found that mine would "flap in the wind"! J.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

oooohhh.... like Angelina Jolie! She is sooooo foxy!!!!!

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I have a teardrop shape, but I never payed any attention and don't play to the side and it sounds just fine.
BillG

Post by BillG »

And so maybe stupid is as stupid asks but, what is a tear drop upper lilp?

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Denny

Post by Denny »

check here
M through Q
BillG

Post by BillG »

I just went back into Krantz' flute site and sutdied all of the embouchures there. I noticed they all rested their flutes ON the meaty part of the lower lip and not just below the line separating the chin from the lower lip. I can't remember if I played that way when I played Boehm and I now ask:

How any of you wooden flute players rest the embouchure hole bottom ON the beefy part of your lower lip? Mine likes to sit lightly there and stays pretty well when I force the rest of me to relax - arms, fingers, pressure, et al.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Dana

Post by Dana »

Unseen122 wrote:I have a teardrop shape, but I never payed any attention and don't play to the side and it sounds just fine.
I don't guess that anyone actually aims to play off-center. I certainly didn't. I'd played for quite a few years before I noticed the off-center aperture. That location is just where my best, most flexible tone occurs. I hadn't noticed till recently that I had a teardrop - in fact, I'd never heard the term used till a couple years ago.

Dana :)
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Do folks with a harelip need to do the opposite?
Reasonable person
Walden
Dana

Post by Dana »

H'mmmm, I'll have to think about that one. :lol: