Copley & Boegli D all-wood flute

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Copley & Boegli D all-wood flute

Post by Bretton »

Hi. Is anyone currently placying a recent Copley & Boegli D flute (all wood, without slide) ???

There's a photo here:
http://www.irishflutestore.com/Copley.html

If you have any comments/reviews/etc. I'd love to hear them. Feel free to PM or email (bretton@yahoo.com) me off the board if you prefer.

Thanks.

-Brett
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Bretton!!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

THAT WOULD BE TWO THUMBS-UP!!!

:D
BillG

Post by BillG »

I asked him to make a keyless slide for me. Check out my comments and others at

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ght=copley

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Yes, I, too, wonder about the 6-hole one. It looks great!
~JessieD
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Not that it matters and it isn't all wood, really. Silver rings.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

Copley makes a fine, fine flute...period. I feel that his flutes probably have the greatest control in terms of half-holing and glissandos of any flute made. Hey, unless you're gonna play with someone who can't stay in tune, ya don't need a tuning slide anyway. Better get that sucker... I've been eyeing it also.... it's a cutie.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:I feel that his flutes probably have the greatest control in terms of half-holing and glissandos of any flute made.
Dave Copley is a friend of mine and he makes fine flutes, but really, Dave (Parkhurst), have you played every flute made?
~JessieD
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

I've been considering moving on from the Casey Burns folk flute I had been playing to a flute in this price range. It looks like a fine flute to me. Anyone know more about this particular kind of Copley (6 hole, no slide, etc)?

stiofan
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I know Sillydill used to own one and you can see his comment above.

I own a Slide Eb and it is a fantastic Flute. I have many times been tempted to ask Dave to make a D body for it, but my Burns Pratten is enough in terms of D Flute.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

JessieK wrote:
Dave Parkhurst wrote:I feel that his flutes probably have the greatest control in terms of half-holing and glissandos of any flute made.
Dave Copley is a friend of mine and he makes fine flutes, but really, Dave (Parkhurst), have you played every flute made?
Yep.... late at night, when you're alseep, my flute gnomes sneak into people's houses and whisk flutes to me for playing...returning them early in the morning. So if you grab a flute for a morning session and it seems a little, er, moist...no problem, it's just me.
:o
Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

I'm still fantastizing about his C and Eb flutes I played a bit last fall; I think he's really doing some nice things lately. The little F flute he made for John Skelton is a rocket.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Hi. Is anyone currently placying a recent Copley & Boegli D flute (all wood, without slide) ???

There's a photo here:
http://www.irishflutestore.com/Copley.html

If you have any comments/reviews/etc. I'd love to hear them. Feel free to PM or email (bretton@yahoo.com) me off the board if you prefer.

Thanks.

-Brett
I just ordered one of the Copley & Boegli flutes---anxious for its arrival sometime next week! Looks beautiful from the photos I've seen, and appreciate hearing about it from some of you, especially from Jessie (via pm). thanks Brett, for bringing it up!

stephen
BillG

Post by BillG »

The Copley keyless and slideless that I had ordered from Dave C. is my constant companion. I origionally purchased his slide flute and recently requested he make me a slideless head. It is a magnificant instrument. Almost all of my playing is solo stuff so am not too concerned with tuning to or with others. I prefer the "all wood" feel and tone. The brightness of a slide, silver or oterwise, is not my preferred sound. Copley makes an outstanding flute capable of numerous voices - someday I hope to be able to play all of them and to make it sing my song.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

stiofan wrote: I just ordered one of the Copley & Boegli flutes---anxious for its arrival sometime next week! Looks beautiful from the photos I've seen, and appreciate hearing about it from some of you, especially from Jessie (via pm). thanks Brett, for bringing it up!
stephen
After much thought, I too have ordered a Copley all wood (except rings) flute. I'll let you know what I think when it gets here next week.

-Brett
stiofan

Post by stiofan »

I'm really liking the Copley-Boegli flute so far. It's definitely a flute that I'm sure I can progress on/with. Since I'm relatively new to the instrument (about a year and 1/2+ playing time), and the only other flute I've owned was a Burns folk flute, I can only say that I'm finding the Copley to be all I expect from a wooden flute of its type--rich tone, ample responsivity and embodies all the character of an Irish flute I'm looking for. According to Dave Copley, the design combines Pratten and Rudall/Rose features, but that 's not something I can really evaluate myself. I'll be seeing my instructor in the next week or so, and I'm curious about his opinion as well. In the meantime, I'm getting acquainted with the flute day by day and enjoying every minute of it!

cheers
Stephen