Languages other than English on C&F...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Languages other than English on C&F...

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

So The C & F forums were started by English speakers and English is the primary medium for posting here...I've even seen Dutch speakers writing to eachother in English on here! (Which is no great surprise, but still...)

However, many of us do speak languages other than English either as our native languages or as a foreign languages. So...What do you speak? I'll start off with moi-même:

I'm a native English speaker from California. I studied French for six years in school. When I graduated high school, I could talk in French with native speakers confidently for several hours at a time no problem. Today (i.e., nine years later), I can barely string together a single coherent sentence...I'd like to get it back someday...My primary foreign language is Japanese, which I studied in university and then afterwards whilst living in Japan for more than two years. I continue to try and study and use it as much as I can (I'll be chaperoning 10 Japanese girls studying abroad here in Portland next week...), but it can be an incredibly frustrating and neverending struggle. A return to Japan is likely in the cards sometime in the next few years...

My other linguistic passion is Scottish Gaelic, which I was initially turned on to after a chance meeting with piper & Gaelic singer Anna Murray when I was 17. I started taking a class with a native speaker shortly afterwards and did a week-long immersion class at Sabhal Mòr Ostaig on Skye while I was studying abroad at Glasgow University. I still try and keep it up as much as I can reading bits of Gaelic online and listening to BBC Radio nan Gaidheal, but I only know of one other Gaelic speaker here in Portland and I don't see him much. I can also understand some Irish due to its close relation to ScG. An Irish speaker once told me that I spoke Irish with a Scottish accent, which I found very funny.

I'd also love to learn Portuguese...
Last edited by The Sporting Pitchfork on Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

I, unfortunately, are one of those terrible people that only can speak American English. I took the required 2 years of foreign language in high school (French) but never was able to carry on a conversation in it. I've forgotten most of it.
I do wish I could speak other languages, and I am in awe of those that can speak 3 or 4 fluently. Maybe someday I'll attempt to learn one.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

I learned Mennodeutsch from a friend. I haven't spoken it in a long time. There's no written language (it's a purely spoken language) so it's difficult to study it in isolation, where there are few speakers around and you can't buy books to read because there are no books published. Mennonites read books in High German or English, which are both separate languages from Mennodeutsch.

I can read regular German well enough, but it's so different from Mennodeutsch that it confuses me A LOT.

I studied Biblical Greek for a while. I really love it. I believe all Christians (and non-Christians) should study Biblical Greek for at least a short while. It's a fascinating language, from a historical standpoint. In some senses, our whole Western civilization is influenced more by Biblical Greek (it's the language of the New Testament) than any other language, even English. Since the ecclisiastical language of the Catholic Church is Latin, Latin is given a lot of importance, but if it were not for Biblical Greek, the Catholic Church (or any body which places importance on the New Testament, for that matter) would not exist at all. I find it fascinating the role that languages play in religion.

I also can read French, although I never studied it in school. And I'm learning Arabic. I love Arabic, but it's super difficult to learn.

I sometimes think I try too much, since I speak no languages well, especially English.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I'd LOVE to learn Scots Gaelic, and I once seriously pondered a grad degree in Koine Greek for exactly the reasons Cran described--I'd love to read the New Testament in the original language.

As it is, I do pretty well with Haitian Kreyol (there's a language of limited usefullness), and a good but extremely rusty smattering of German...does music theory count as a language? :)

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
tsightguyzed

Post by tsightguyzed »

Besides German (including the "High" variant [which is in its spoken version just a random convention, spread by mass media to destroy diversity ^^], my own local dialect and many other ones intelligible to me) I speak English as second language after I studied it in school for 8 years. Till now, I try to invest time in self-education, predominantly to augment my vocabular. I'm a bit more familiar with the stereotype CNN-AE than with BE concerning the understanding of spoken language, but actually I seem to speak a mixture of both ... although in school we were supposed to learn "Oxford English" :D Well, blame Hollywood.
Anyway, a lot of my study books are only available in English and furthermore, the UK is my favourite destination for a study abroad programme. Hence, English is the language I will stay focussed on. After all, what you say is probably more important (regarding content) than in how many languages you're able to say it.

But then again, I learned some French for about 4 years, but my vocabular could contain a few more words and my grammar isn't that fluent as I would like to have it, too ... there's just the absurdity, that I've no great accent and Frenchmen always tend to take me for a sort of Belgian (in some regions a synonym for a fool :lol: ) who is not able to express himself correctly ... however, reading French means much more pleasure to me.

What else? Yes, not worth mentioning, but there's of course that partial Dutch-German intelligibility ... some Russian insults and the explanation, that I don't speak Russian nor know anything (pretty important) ... and a few Latin Quotes ...
"To do is to be." - Seneca, "To be is to do." - Sartre, "Dobedobedo" - Sinatra
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

I lived two years in Peru and can read and speak Spanish.

I can read French (and a few other romance languages) at a medium level and German at a basic level (graduate school requirements).

Does Idahoan count as a seperate language? :)
Keith
Jack

Post by Jack »

khl wrote:Does Idahoan count as a seperate language? :)
Do you mean Coeur d'Alene, Northern Paiute, or another native Idahoan language? If so, then the answer is yes. But if, by "Idahoan" you mean the type of American English spoken in Idaho, then the answer is probably no.
emmline

Post by emmline »

My brother speaks/reads Scottish Gaelic.
I studied French throughout HS and into college, was decent at the time, but, like Pitchfork, have rusted.
I'm currently on my 4th semester of Spanish at the Community College.
(German would be next, if I had the time)
I've just subscribed to audiojournals (with written supplements) in French and Spanish to try to reactivate my ear. It's tough.
Last edited by emmline on Thu Sep 07, 2006 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

emmline wrote: ......
I studied French throughout HS and into college, was decent at the time, but, like Pitchfork, have rusted.
Ditto pour moi.
I do notice that when I am with French speakers I start picking it up very quickly again (simple coversational level) and French people lways remark how good my pronunciation is. (And my Hindi improves within a week of landing in India or during an extended period with non English speaking oldies).

I actually grew up in a tri lingual home environment of colloquial Hindi, Fijian and colonial accent English which was supplemented by my total education in English as taugt by Irish and NZ Marist Brothers and subsequently by secular teachers in Oz. If I include my maternal grandmother. who looked after me a lot when she visited my home from the village, I would have to say quad lingual because she spoke Nepali (or Gurkhali as she called it).

I have the ability to take on any number of accents at will. Mostly, my spontaneous accent tends to be , what is called, "educated Australian accent".

( I have conversed with the following members of this forum and I would be interested on their independent comments on my accent:- Terry McGee, Mitch, Doug Tipple and Erle Bartlett. Without prejudice.)
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jennie

Post by Jennie »

talasiga wrote:...my total education in English as taugt by Irish and NZ Marist Brothers and subsequently by secular teachers in Oz.
Did you really live in Oz? Is there another Oz I don't know about? I'm baffled. And envious.

I speak Spanish and French every day with my high school students, and French at home with my children (though they'll rarely answer me in French).

My French is much better than my Spanish because I have all those odd words you find when you're trying to tell your kids what to do. I sure have a good time with Spanish, though. Sometimes it's hard to shift between languages when I meet students in the hall. Usually it's my English that suffers.

I really need to learn some Irish, though, so I can read tune names. It drives me crazy to see something I can't pronounce. Reminds me of Russian. I took a short immersion course, and had the hardest time throwing away my old alphabet and learning a new one.

Jennie
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Ulster-English and French. I don't mean that strange not-exactly Lallans that seems to be enjoying some sort of vogue in Norn Iron at present. Just English with gaelic syntax. How I learned it, at my Mother's knee.
("Get away from there, child! And quit girning!")
I tried to learn a lot of languages in my teens and twenties so I have a teensy bit of Japanese and Arabic. I did have an intensive Japanese course from a Japanese speaker, but never got the chance to practice. My son's Japanese is better than mine, now, as he has completed computer games in Japanese because he was too impatient to wait for the English language version.
I am currently working through a "Teach Yourself Irish" book. The irregular verbs threw me, but I'm just hanging on. I know just enough Irish to have translated "Taimse I'm mo Chodlaidh", and know that the second verse is replete with double-entendres. The translation on Mudcats gives one, very po-faced, translation. That ain't how I read it!
I like to read French. Marcel Aymé is my favourite writer. But I like Baudelaire and Francois Villon too. And I've just been reading Simenon.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

ᏣᎳᎩ ᏱᏥᏬᏂ
Reasonable person
Walden
The Sporting Pitchfork
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Some interesting stuff coming out here! High German, Cherokee, Hatian Kreyol...

Wanna learn Scottish Gaelic? Do it! Do it! Do it! There are only about 60,000 speakers left, so the more the merrier! Go to http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/clasaichean and see if there are any classes near you. You just might be surprised!

I too had a strong interest in learning Koine after taking a class on the New Testament with Dr. Richard Rohrbaugh, a friend and colleague of Dr. Bart Ehrman...Fascinatin' stuff...Learned the alphabet and got through chapter one of the Greek book & then got sidetracked...Another language I'd love to learn... Just not enough hours in the day...

C'mon, what else have we got lurking out there...?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I have enough French and Japanese to get into trouble and not enough to get out. Rust and disuse have done the rest.

Languages I'd like to have: Ukrainian (or Russian if I must), Irish and Scots Gaelic, Lakota/Dakota, Greek, Italian, Portuguese, Arabic, and Turkish, to name a few.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ennistraveler

Post by ennistraveler »

I speak Swedish and Italian. I understand a couple of other languages, if that counts.
Brother Steve rocks!