tinwhistler's day jobs

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kelhorn Mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kelhorn Mike »

Well, now my primary occupation is HUSBAND...
I got married for the first time (I'm 46
by the way) 3 months ago and it's honey
do this, honey do that...Hardly have time
now to sell whistles or drink beer which are
now occupations #2 and #3. The things we
do for love......

Kelhorn Mike
Prometheus

Post by Prometheus »

Hello all...

Single 21 Singaporean, still a student for a miserable diploma in marine engineering at the Singapore Maritime Academy.

Heaven knows what I'll do for my future...hahah

Brgds/Wayne
dkehoe

Post by dkehoe »

I'm middle management at an Independant Power Producer with operations all over the world. I get to travel a lot (Morocco, Chile, UAE), though the charm wears off after a while. I have two kids, girl 13 & boy 10. I whistle when I can, build some, and try to figure out the physics of how they work (not as simple as it sounds).
jmadjeski

Post by jmadjeski »

Right now, I work in IT for one of those big old East Coast companies, where i do technical support and UNIX systems admin. In the past, I've been a fast food worker, janitor, car salesman, retail worker, jedi knight, carpenter, and three-time running Mayfield County Pie Bake-Off champeen. I am in preparation to take on a new role in Oct. of next year as husband to the most wonderful woman in the world!

-joe
Don't you hate pants?
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I am a registered nurse. After working 5 years in cardiac intensive care I have worked the last 16 in research. I am the clinical half of a team that helps develop and test new heart and blood pressure monitors for a large monitor manufacturer. Before that I was an orderly, English teacher, warehouse worker, general laborer, electric meter reader, roofer, summer camp counselor and seminary student. I probably left a couple out but I'm getting to the age when most people get memory-challenged.
Mike
TomB

Post by TomB »

Nothing exciting compared to many here. Served 20 years in the U.S. Navy. For the last 7 years I have worked as a Legal Assistant, the first 6 in Washington, D.C., and now in Hartford, CT.
fluter_d

Post by fluter_d »

Well, I'm in the happy position of being a music (and Italian - but only when I have time to spare! :wink:) student - who hopefully won't have to face the real world for another, oh, 3? 4? years... Any ideas? I start teaching whistle & trad flute next week, so that should clarify things a bit. If you don't hear from me after then, you'll know that 1) it didn't go well, and 2) the "tragic murder of innocent music students" trial should be in the papers shortly... :lol:
Deirdre

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fluter_d on 2002-09-18 19:14 ]</font>
Paul

Post by Paul »

I am in management and have been since 1989.

*Edited to remove silliness.
Last edited by Paul on Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
dlm

Post by dlm »

Hello all,
My day job is being an engineering and construction manager for a company that operates stone quarries all over the world.. It's a fun job, very noisy at times, but when i'm driving from quarry to quarry, i get to listen to Deaf Shepard, Danu, etc, etc, and life is very good. I have a Howard i bought on Dale's recommendation (which i really like), 4 susatos, a feadog, and, of course, the Clarke, which i actually bought for the kids (they don't play). Hail whistleblowing around the globe!!
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Medical transcriptionist by night (I think there’s at least one other MT on the board?), avid reader, writer,student, photographer, crafter, gardener, cook, etc. by day; wife of a semi-retired detective (can’t get away with a damn thing); owned by a Scottie (big surprise) and a tortoiseshell hellcat; new to the whistle—have only a Sweetone and a Clare thus far (prefer the latter, don’t like the hole spacing and the seam of the former, go figure) with a mighty repertoire of three tunes fully learned so far (well, I said I was new!) Past vocations have also included art store manager, pharmacy tech, copy editor, PR flack, legal secretary, paralegal, freelance editor, literary agent, graphic designer.

There was comment above about how Americans tend to define themselves by their work, more so than European and perhaps other world cultures. I’ve observed this also, but consider this: Americans work far longer in terms of hours per week and weeks per year than most Europeans (I think statistics bear this out), so it would seem ours is a work-obsessed culture, perhaps exceeded only by the Japanese? -- but also, reading through the posts above demonstrates that many Americans do not hesitate to make sudden, and often drastic, career changes throughout their lives—perhaps more so than other cultures (have not seen any research on that). I.e., we are instilled with an expectation for, not just survival, but fulfillment, in that work with which we are obsessed. Any thoughts on that?

P.S. To the others owned by terriers above, your dogs are cool, but Scotties rule! [thhhbbbbbttt] :wink:
Elkcreek

Post by Elkcreek »

Hi everybody,
I build Shaker and 18th century furniture on a custom order basis as my main occupation. One day a week I teach pottery at the Middletown, Ohio Fine Arts Center. I also design and install custom kitchens (Shaker and country styles are a specialty). As a side line that ties in with the other things that I do I also collect and trade in utilitarian objects that fall under the classification of "folk art" (That is how I got away with buying Copeland whistles when I am just learning to play). Most of my selling is done from my studio at home and by referral but I also set up at some historical re-enactments in the east. It's a fun business and great life given through the grace of God.
John
Cinead

Post by Cinead »

Entertainment Producer, Author
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

It's been long enough since this was bumped off page one, that a lot of you newer members need to update it and tell us about yourselves. How about it, boys and girls?
Wombat
antispam: No

Post by Wombat »

OK then. Here goes. I'm a philosopher.

No, I'm not kidding. I get paid to write and teach philosophy. My writing interests are quite broad but my teaching chores mainly centre on logic, environmental ethics and bioethics.
Bert

Post by Bert »

Middle School Principal, although I've thought of quitting and playing whistle for a living. (wink-wink)
If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill themselves...Is it considered a hostage situation???