tomatoes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Doug_Tipple
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

tomatoes

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I hate to admit it, but I am getting tired of tomatoes. In the early Spring I was dreaming of the luscious vines of bright red tomatoes. I went to the greenhouse and purchased several trays of tiny little tomato plants. At first they looked rather pathetic, wilting in the bright sun. But, little by little, they began to take root and show what they were made of. A little fertilizer didn't hurt, either. It seems that before I could turn around the tomato vines were as tall as I was. Now, as Fall approaches, I have so many beautiful tomatoes that I don't know what to do with them all. My neighbors are familiar with my knock on the door offering a plastic bag full of tomatoes. I have eaten so many tomatoes that, frankly, I am sick of them, and my mouth is sore from the acidy taste. Please send me your address, and I will mail off a peck of ripe Indiana tomatoes. There is a least one thing that we can do well here in Indiana, and that is to grow good tomatoes.
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Homegrown Tomatoes by Guy Clark
Home grown tomatoes, home grown tomatoes
What would life be like without homegrown tomatoes
Only two things that money can't buy
That's true love and home grown tomatoes
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Doug, you must make some tomato preserves! You'll appreciate them during the rest of the year, and they ship much better than fresh tomatoes!

It's EASY, safe, and fastl! If you've never made jam, check the recipes in a package of Sure-Jell. Basically, you bring tomatoes and about an equal quantity of sugar to boil in a large, non-aluminum pot, stir in a box of Sure-Jell and skim the foam. The color will change from murky to a clear jewel-tone, at which point you take it off the heat and ladle it into clean jars. Pop on a lid, turn it upside down for a while, and then turn it right side up again.

They have darling jars now, with these rubber-gasketed lids that produce a vacuum seal. The stuff will last a year in a cool, dry place.

There is a more complicated way that doesn't use Sure-Jell, and there is a "refrigerator" jam that is silly, considering how easy the above is, but the Sure-Jell method is a great way to start.
Whistlin'Dixie

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Well, that preserve idea sounds good! And a bit unusual.
You could tie pretty bows around the lids and give them as gifts, too.

M
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

There's also plain-old tomato sauce. We've got several quarts of it in the freezer, along with many many bags of shredded zucchini. There's nothing like breaking out a tub of REAL tomato sauce in the middle of the winter, or making a few loaves of zook bread.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
missy

Post by missy »

several things I've done.....

As stated, make sauce. Cut an "X" in the skin of the tomato, and dunk it in boiling water for about 30 seconds. Pull out, rinse in cold water, and pull the skins off. Puree the meat of the tomato, and cook it down, add whatever you want (or leave plain) and put into freezer bags or containers.

I also dried then in a dehydrator. Slice across, put a bit of a mixture of fresh oregano, basil and garlic on top, and put in dehydrator (or oven turned just barely on). After they are dry, pack in sterilized jars of olive oil. Toss with cooked spagetti, or use on pizza.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

Do you think any soup kitchens or homeless shelters would want them? I know a lot of places like that only accept non-perishable food donations, but some, especially smaller religious-run ones, will accept fresh produce.

If you can't find anything to do with them, compost them perhaps. But be aware that next spring you'll have lots of "accidental" tomato plants popping up wherever you spread the compost.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

cool! do you send to switzerland? :D
djm

Post by djm »

I don't know about where you live, but here we have things called "food banks" where low-to-no-income people can do their grocery shopping. These places love to receive donations of fresh produce as long as it isn't too ripe (shelf life and all that). I'm sure you could contact some of the charitable associations in your area to see who would be more than happy to relieve you of your excess bounty.

Besides soup kitchens, you may also want to consider making soup. We loves a well-seasoned tomato soup, so we does. :D

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I would like all my tomatoes
with a thumbhole at 6 o'clock.

BTW, can you deep freeze a boxful
for if ever I perform in your town?
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Jack

Post by Jack »

djm wrote:I don't know about where you live, but here we have things called "food banks" where low-to-no-income people can do their grocery shopping. These places love to receive donations of fresh produce as long as it isn't too ripe (shelf life and all that). I'm sure you could contact some of the charitable associations in your area to see who would be more than happy to relieve you of your excess bounty.

Besides soup kitchens, you may also want to consider making soup. We loves a well-seasoned tomato soup, so we does. :D

djm
Ditto!
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Have a party!!!!

SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

You should grow the cherry tomato variety called Sungold. They stay orange and never ripen to red. They are far and away the best tomato for flavour I've ever experienced. You will not tire of them, I guarantee! :)
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You can also make a quick tomato sauce for pasta by slicing up several tomatoes and sauteing them in a bit of olive oil until it looks appealing. Toss in some sliced olives, oregano, or whatever.

Do enough tomatoes like that and you'd have sauce for a lasagna, which you could freeze in meal-sized portions.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Our tomatoes all froze green three days ago...ah, gardening in Wyoming. :cry:
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.