Aluminum Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scheky
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Aluminum Whistles

Post by scheky »

I must admit, every time I see a Chieftain, Overton or even Impepe I get the desire to own one. However, something concerns me...

There have been too many studies showing that Aluminum is bad for you. What's everybody's opinion (just looking for opinions) on aluminum whistles and why, considering its stigma do you all think the makers haven't switched to brass or another metal?

Just curious...
Wanderer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Re: Aluminum Whistles

Post by Wanderer »

scheky wrote:I must admit, every time I see a Chieftain, Overton or even Impepe I get the desire to own one. However, something concerns me...

There have been too many studies showing that Aluminum is bad for you. What's everybody's opinion (just looking for opinions) on aluminum whistles and why, considering its stigma do you all think the makers haven't switched to brass or another metal?

Just curious...
It seems that this comes up about once a year.
The consensus usually boils down to: You're going to get far more aluminum from cookware and cans than you will from an aluminum whistle. Aluminum is the most abundant metal in the earth's crust. It's aluminum salts that all of the studies show are harmful, and you aren't likely to get much auminum at all past the hard oxidixed layer, much less any aluminum salts.

We should probably make a FAQ and put this in it...followed by the inevitable "are copper whistles harmful" question ;)
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

My aluminum whistle has an anthrax coating, is that bad for me? :twisted:
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

straycat82 wrote:My aluminum whistle has an anthrax coating, is that bad for me? :twisted:
Don't bite it. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

I have played aluminum whistles for over 5 years and there is abso
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

lutely nothing more that Stewy can tell us on that subject.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I figure we are all exposed to much worse things throughout the course of each day.

I have several aluminum (or aluminium, for my friends over the sea) whistles: Burke, Alba, Syn, and now Impempe.

They are all different and all fine.

If you have any aluminum whistles you are afraid to play, send them to me! Like they say 'round these parts, I ain't scairt!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tweeto

Post by Tweeto »

Aluminum cookware is definitely a bad idea, because when you cook with it, there is a chance that the chemicals in it get broken down and released into your food.

I was afraid of buying an aluminum whistle, but I'm not anymore. Hopefully people are not playing them in ways that could cause them to swallow any aluminum. Not only for their health safety, but, it's mean to treat a poor whistle like that.
Check out: Folding@Home!
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'm looking for someone to make a cast iron whistle. One thing's for sure, that's the best frying pan I have.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Slayer

Post by Slayer »

When I have received Overton from Colin Goldie at once started to play from it.
In two weeks at me the wart on an index finger has disappeared. It was with me many years and disturbed me a little :)
In what the reason - I do not know, probably, in aluminium? :wink:
Happy whistling!
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

The only two effects I've noticed from much playing of two aluminum-dense Overtons...are...
1. A strange shrinkage of my world view... to like, "juvenile" proportions.
2. A creepy disire to frequently break into an emotionally powerful rendition of "When The Eagle Soars."
Other than that. Seems safe. HeeHeeHooHoo
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
canpiper

Post by canpiper »

It looks like the real problem is with soluable aluminium.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts22.html
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Slayer wrote:When I have received Overton from Colin Goldie at once started to play from it.
In two weeks at me the wart on an index finger has disappeared. It was with me many years and disturbed me a little :)
Not to get medical (and therefore locked) here, but warts are very unusual things. They will often disappear for no apparent reason even after being there for many years. Most likely this is just a cooincidence (unless maybe the little wart viruses simply didn't like the way you play :wink: )
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

brewerpaul wrote:
Slayer wrote:When I have received Overton from Colin Goldie at once started to play from it.
Not to get medical (and therefore locked) here, but warts are very unusual things. They will often disappear for no apparent reason even after being there for many years. Most likely this is just a cooincidence (unless maybe the little wart viruses simply didn't like the way you play :wink: )
My comanche great-grandad rubbed tobacco-spit on a wart on my brother's back and whipered something to it, and it went away in a couple of days.

When I got older, I lost the belief that his whispering had anything to do with it ;)
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Aluminum is the least of your worries, you should be more concerned with some of the non-wood materials (and coatings) being used by some makers for blocks - materials that were never intended by the original manufacturers to be put into one's mouth, let alone for long periods of time, and potentialy chewed on a bit. A number of these materials, have not been tested (like aluminum has) for health safety under similar conditions.

Something to think about......

Loren