The one and only

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Cathy Wilde
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

What can I say, I'm a ho. :-D

Keyless blackwood Murray
4-key boxwood Murray soon to be restored to its former 6-key glory
6-key blackwood McGee Pratten
6-key Eb cocus Hamilton
Coming soon, oh I hope, I can't wait!!! ... Keyless Bb from John Gallagher
4-key blackwood Ormiston -- a lovely small-holed flute which really needs to find a new home; if anyone's interested, holler :-)

The Murrays are my darlings, the McGee is my noble warhorse.
Last edited by Cathy Wilde on Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Jennie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jennie »

I have one flute, a Casey Burns blackwood. But I cannot claim the virtue of faithfulness, as I have been lusting after other flutes. When the occasion presents itself, I even have brief dalliances with other people's flutes. :o

Anyhow, I've been playing for about a year and a half. My tone is still inconsistent. After messing around with some other flutes briefly this summer, I've decided to stick with the one I have for a while. Keys get in the way of my right hand's curve, so I'll most likely stay keyless unless my hands grow.

Another ten years on this flute and I should be really playing!

Jennie
michael_coleman
Tell us something.: I play the first flute Jon Cochran ever made but haven't been very active on the board the last 9-10 years. Life happens I guess...I owned a keyed M&E flute for a while and I kind of miss it.

Post by michael_coleman »

Does it count that I can only play one flute at a time?

I've been leaning more towards the original Jon C. R&R blackwood. Its a nice player, and a great tone.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

My impression is that the longer one plays and the better
one gets, the longer it seems one will have to keep at
it to be any good. Those young enough to have lots
of years are fortunate.
dow
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by dow »

I've got an Ironwood McGee GLP keyless. It's got the eccentric head and an elliptical embouchure. It's also got a C natural hole. I love this flute. Cathy and Jennie have both played it (Hey Cathy and Jennie!), and both play much better than I do, so I've got something to work toward, :) . I"ve also got a Tipple that I leave out to noodle around on.
Dow Mathis ∴
Boerne, TX
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently motivated fool.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My main flute these days is my Hamilton blackwood 6-key, and it's a wonderful flute! It easily gets the most play.

In a non-IrTrad vein, I've been working on some old jazz standards using my Gemeinhardt silver flute, so it's been getting played at least a couple of times a week as well.

I keep both Seery and M&E R&R flutes assembled on my computer desk so that I can grab a quick tune if I have a minute but not really long enough to break out a wooden flute. Of these two polymer flutes, it seems the Seery gets grabbed more often, which is more a function of the fact that it's typically closer on the desk than the M&E.

My old German 8-key gets played from time to time, it's the flute that got me into this obsession with wooden flutes and Irish dance music, and I enjoy playing it, though it doesn't have the power or the elegance of the Hammy.

I have a 6-key M&E that gets broken out when I have a tune I want to try that needs keys, but don't have the time to break out the Hammy. Also, the 6-key M&E gets played with I'm playing classical or early music because of a unique tone that I can achieve on it far more easily than on my other flutes. It'll also easily produce a hard-edged "driven" sound that works well with Irish tunes.

My old Sweet Baroque flute almost never gets played anymore; also my recorders are rarely played. I wish I had more time where I could break them out more often.

My Sweet Bb fife only sees play anymore for funeral duty. Here lately, it's been getting played way too often. :(

I have a little high-F piccolo which Michael Cronnolly made me which plays and is fun but rarely gets played as it is very hard to control and is very shrill.

I have a Hall pyrex flute which almost never gets played and usually lives in the back of a closet, safely tucked away in its padded case.

And of course, I have my whistles, but that's getting to be OT, so there ya go.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

My one and only is a 6-key mopane Copley & Boegli.
That's it...I don't even play the whistle anymore, although I've got one on hand for emergencies.
KateG

Post by KateG »

My one and only is a Dave Williams 8-key Rudall in blackwood, but I will admit to occasional opportunistic dalliances with the Tipples that live in my car (an old 1 piece) and by my desk (3 piece grey w. wedge). I also have a rosewood Sweet which is being neglected, and bunch of recorders that likewise lanquish unplayed.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Speaking of, I did get to do penance for all my sins last Thursday .... I stayed at the office too late to get home, so had to play 2 hours in our Thursday night session with the 'emergency' instruments I keep in the car - a formerly duct-taped-together Generation green top whistle and a Dixon Duo 2-piece flute.

Now, THAT'S love. :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
JohnB

Post by JohnB »

Only one which is an early Chris Wilkes keyed - great flute, a Bb would be nice - was thinking of an Eb but there don't seem to be any Eb sessions these days.

John

London
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

I play my Byrne Rudall most of the time, which I really like. I have a Jon C Rudall Rudall in delrin which is my travelling flute. It's a very good flute, and if I had no others I 'd be perfectly happy with it. I also have a Paddy Ward Hawkes copy, also a lovely flute, that I sometimes play at sessions for its volume and its forgiving embouchure. But when I am practising it's my Byrne that I play.

But having said that it would be misleading not to point out that I have a kekyless Aebi on order that should be here this month. I obtained all the flutes above second hand on this board after I placed the order, "to have something to play" and to "try out different styles". My intention is to sell 2 wooden flutes, and to keep the delrin flute for travelling, and get down to one flute for daily use.

Other idea on my mind is to move towards a keyed flute, and it would make sense to have a keyless by the same maker to be practising on while I am waiting. As Bryan Byrne doesn't make a keyed flute, that rather predisposes me toward the Aebi, but I will see.

And what would be the harm about thinking about a Watson, or a Murray (as I contemplate that slippery slope once more). My wife said hopefully yesterday that "now you have a flute wardrobe, you won't need to get any more...."

So I am essentially monogamous, but to the untrained eye, there are a lot of flutes hanging around, and my tongue continues to hang out for others. Hmm.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

flutefry wrote:So I am essentially monogamous, but to the untrained eye, there are a lot of flutes hanging around, and my tongue continues to hang out for others. Hmm.
Hello. My name is Nanohedron, and I'm a flute whore. :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Well, since so many other polyflutists have responded I'll throw my hat in, too. I have more flutes than I need, but not as many D flutes as I had a year or two ago. I have four keyless D flutes: Olwell boxwood, small-holed, slide, unlined head; Olwell rosewood all-wood medium-holed; Noy boxwood Rudall-cut embouchure, small-holed, slide, unlined head (should get a keyed footjoint this week); and Bleazey Rudall, which is my travel flute. Two traversos: a von Huene and an Aulos, both A. Grenser models. Then there's the Burns A-Bb-C set, all-wood, mopane, should have a slide for it by the end of the month, and an all-wood Cooktown ironwood F by Mark Hoza. I have an Eflat shaft on order from Patrick for the boxwood flute.

I pretty much use the Noy for English music and the Olwells for Irish music, so effectively the Olwells are the only redundant flutes other than the travel flutes. But my wife won't let me sell the rosewood flute because we've ordered an exact copy as a keyed flute, and it's so old that we'll have to give it to Patrick for him to measure before he makes the keyed version. Yes, it is that good a flute and I guess when you come right down to it, I wouldn't part with it under any circumstance. Too bad I play so damned flat.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

dow wrote:I've got an Ironwood McGee GLP keyless. It's got the eccentric head and an elliptical embouchure. It's also got a C natural hole. I love this flute. Cathy and Jennie have both played it (Hey Cathy and Jennie!), and both play much better than I do, so I've got something to work toward, :) . I"ve also got a Tipple that I leave out to noodle around on.
'Tis indeed a most cool flute, that C nat thumbhole notwithstanding. :lol: Another nice not-too-heavy one. I recall liking the embouchure cut a lot. Hey, Dow!
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

flutefry wrote:I As Bryan Byrne doesn't make a keyed flute, that rather predisposes me toward the Aebi, but I will see.
actually bryan does make keyed flutes, absolutely beautiful keyed flutes. just finished one up a few months ago. a six key in e-flat.