How Canadian are you?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

I'm the only one in my family that calls it a chesterfield - and I call french fries chips. But I call crisps (potato chips) chips too. Used to call the bonnet a hood and sadly, my kids are calling a pop a soda. :cry:
PR

c[]|________||___o__o__O___o__O__º__º__||_]
      \\
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:I remember lacrosse as a girlie game from my sister's very British "Chalet School" books (we had an unarticulated anti-gender-stereotyping policy under which she, in exchange, read my Biggles books).
Lacrosse (not hockey) is Canada's official national sport. The field variety, played on a small soccer pitch, requires far too much running, and not nearly enough blood. Box lacrosse, on the other hand, is played in a concrete hockey rink with plywood sides, and it makes goon hockey look positively delicate. It can be blindingly fast, and usually doesn't rely on boring 'dump and run' strategy like pro hockey. Like hockey pucks, you do not want to catch a lacrosse ball in the teeth.

Go Shamrocks!!!
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Paul Reid wrote:83

I'm the only one in my family that calls it a chesterfield - and I call french fries chips. But I call crisps (potato chips) chips too. Used to call the bonnet a hood and sadly, my kids are calling a pop a soda. :cry:
So what do you call a car bumper then? And a hoover? And do you pronounce "tomato" properly? :D
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

SteveShaw wrote:
Paul Reid wrote:83

So what do you call a car bumper then? And a hoover? And do you pronounce "tomato" properly? :D
We have a lot of deer here, so bumpers are either bumpers or cattle-pushers. Our vacuum is actually a Hoover, so we call it either, and my family is evenly split between tomato and tomahhhtoe. Oh, and my dad calls a schedule a shed-yule. He still refuses to call a schitzophrenic a sh!tsofrenic. So much for consistency.

Bill Bryson's The Mother Tongue, English and How It Got That Way is a fun read for those who want a light look at regionalisms.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

Chiffed wrote:
Roger O'Keeffe wrote:I remember lacrosse as a girlie game from my sister's very British "Chalet School" books (we had an unarticulated anti-gender-stereotyping policy under which she, in exchange, read my Biggles books).
Lacrosse (not hockey) is Canada's official national sport. The field variety, played on a small soccer pitch, requires far too much running, and not nearly enough blood. Box lacrosse, on the other hand, is played in a concrete hockey rink with plywood sides, and it makes goon hockey look positively delicate. It can be blindingly fast, and usually doesn't rely on boring 'dump and run' strategy like pro hockey. Like hockey pucks, you do not want to catch a lacrosse ball in the teeth.

Go Shamrocks!!!
I think the Lacrosse comment in the survey was a joke--it's our official national sport, being descended from a game played by the Hurons/Iroquois but it's hugely eclipsed by our unofficial national sport, which is (ice) hockey. As I recall, the mention of lacrosse in the survey came after a question naming three hockey players.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

...There is a theory that the Hurons got their game of Lacrosse from early Norse settlers...
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Here's your score: 61

Respectably Canadian. And really what more do you want? Really ought not to presume too much. That just wouldn't be right.

Weird considering the farthest north I've ever been is barely over the Mason-Dixon line. I don't know any Canadians either. [/quote]
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Innocent Bystander wrote:

In Belfast it was always a "settee".
I have an uneasy feeling that this is the sort of thing that could be a marker of religious affiliation in Belfast :wink:

I learnt "couch" in 1950s Dublin, "sofa" would also seem normal. "Settee" would strike me as either Victorian - what your grandparents might call it - or provincial.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Roger O'Keeffe wrote:
Innocent Bystander wrote:

In Belfast it was always a "settee".
I have an uneasy feeling that this is the sort of thing that could be a marker of religious affiliation in Belfast :wink:

I learnt "couch" in 1950s Dublin, "sofa" would also seem normal. "Settee" would strike me as either Victorian - what your grandparents might call it - or provincial.
Everybody called it a settee in the north of England. "Couch" was a bit posh and "sofa" merely betrayed unutterable affectation.

Rod Sprague

Post by Rod Sprague »

As a young child, I spent days with a well to do Spanish speaker and when my parents were not in school or working, at home with them. The Spanish speaking woman basically adopted me, as my parents couldn’t afford child care and I was apparently remarkably cute and well behaved. I was completely bi-lingual. Then my parents and I moved away and my family and I spent a summer on Prince Edward Island. When I talk to Canadians, I have a very odd accent!

Rod
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

SteveShaw wrote:...merely betrayed unutterable affectation.
Here in Minneapolis, that would apply to "settee" and "divan". A chaise longue would be another beast altogether, if you're into antique shops and period repros. "Fainting couch", I think, is the alternate term.

It's bad enough that people here will pronounce it "chase lounge".
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

William Shatner is Canadian by God!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:William Shatner is Canadian by God!
That's okay, you can keep him. No, really. I insist. We've got lots of them. You can keep Lorne Greene, too.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Nanohedron wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:...merely betrayed unutterable affectation.
Here in Minneapolis, that would apply to "settee" and "divan". A chaise longue would be another beast altogether, if you're into antique shops and period repros. "Fainting couch", I think, is the alternate term.

It's bad enough that people here will pronounce it "chase lounge".
A divan is a bed, surely. I await the inevitable riposte.

djm

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:A divan is a bed, surely. I await the inevitable riposte.
Is that a four-riposter bed? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.