How Canadian are you?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

I've never even been to Canadia, so I figure I'm not very Canadian. Of course, I've had several Canadian friends through the years, so maybe a bit of Canadianism may have influenced me.
Reasonable person
Walden
AaronMalcomb

Post by AaronMalcomb »

This result answered honestly :
Here's your score: 57

Well, you appear to be somewhat aware of your surroundings. Either that or you had a Canadian feeding you the answers (and giving you the wrong one every so often, just for grins).

By the way, I can't believe you don't follow lacrosse.
This result answered to get a high score:
Here's your score: 93

Wow. Pierre Berton, Peter Gzowski, Stompin' Tom, Pierre Trudeau, Bob & Doug, Anne of Green Gables and Rush all rolled into one. You make Dudley Do-Right look like Uncle Sam. Prepare for immediate idolization at home and a lucrative career in the states.
Chiffed
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Chiffed »

Well, with some Quebecois, Cree, Point Grey Blue Blood, and Albertan in me, I guess this is OK.
Here's your score: 91

Wow. Pierre Berton, Peter Gzowski, Stompin' Tom, Pierre Trudeau, Bob & Doug, Anne of Green Gables and Rush all rolled into one. You make Dudley Do-Right look like Uncle Sam. Prepare for immediate idolization at home and a lucrative career in the states.
And a Chesterfield is a fur-trimmed wool coat, isn't it?
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

Here's your score: 61

Respectably Canadian. And really what more do you want? Really ought not to presume too much. That just wouldn't be right.

By the way, I can't believe you don't follow lacrosse.
----------

Good to know :-)
After moving from Holland to Denmark with my wife, we jokingly said that if I couldn't feel at home there we would move to a country that would be foreign to both of us: Canada...

Don't think I will ever get her to emigrate again though :D
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Apart from a pretty tangential relationship with football and cricket I don't really follow sport much. Having read all the above posts I've just caved in at last and am now looking up "lacrosse" in a dictionary.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

SteveShaw wrote:Apart from a pretty tangential relationship with football and cricket I don't really follow sport much. Having read all the above posts I've just caved in at last and am now looking up "lacrosse" in a dictionary.
Shame you're not up to speed on your Angela Brazil stories....
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Haven't found the time to do the test yet. But I have three handguns that I never use. Does that make me Canadian, or do they have to be rifles and used on non-human targets?
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Innocent Bystander wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:Apart from a pretty tangential relationship with football and cricket I don't really follow sport much. Having read all the above posts I've just caved in at last and am now looking up "lacrosse" in a dictionary.
Shame you're not up to speed on your Angela Brazil stories....
Who?

SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Ah, it's that one where you chuck something around with a fishing net. Is it a game that started in Canada? At least it's one up on that rather strange phenomenon American football, the chief aims of which are apparently to look as ridiculous as possible and to beat each other up.

JS

Post by JS »

"Davenport," eh? I grew up with that one too.

Give this a listen:

http://www.archive.org/details/Davenport

Bix!
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

I remember lacrosse as a girlie game from my sister's very British "Chalet School" books (we had an unarticulated anti-gender-stereotyping policy under which she, in exchange, read my Biggles books).
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
Roger O'Keeffe

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

SteveShaw wrote:
Ah, it's that one where you chuck something around with a fishing net. Is it a game that started in Canada? At least it's one up on that rather strange phenomenon American football, the chief aims of which are apparently to look as ridiculous as possible and to beat each other up.
Don't forget American football's other function of helping participants to re-learn how to walk with an archaic simian gait.

(Thinks: am I turning into a transatlantic troll? Am I hanging around too much with the wrong sort?)
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

:lol:

burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

JS wrote:"Davenport," eh? I grew up with that one too.
One of my grandmothers (from a town between Windsor and Chatham) always called it a davenport. The other grandmother ( from about 50 miles east of Sarnia) called it a chesterfield. This gets me wondering about how many words there are for this piece of furniture. Growing up we called it a sofa or couch. I know other people who call it a divan. I guess you could also say chaise longue. It's enough to give a guy sofa identity confusion!
Mike
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

burnsbyrne wrote:
JS wrote:"Davenport," eh? I grew up with that one too.
One of my grandmothers (from a town between Windsor and Chatham) always called it a davenport. The other grandmother ( from about 50 miles east of Sarnia) called it a chesterfield. This gets me wondering about how many words there are for this piece of furniture. Growing up we called it a sofa or couch. I know other people who call it a divan. I guess you could also say chaise longue. It's enough to give a guy sofa identity confusion!
Mike
In Belfast it was always a "settee".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!