What a horrible weekend

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

What a horrible weekend

Post by Henke »

Folks, it's been a very sad and terrifying weekend over here. It's hard to get a grip of the things that have happened and I'm trying my best to process it all. At the same time I need to be supportive of the people that are more vulnerable than myself right now.

It all started friday night. We were out on the pub, me and three friends of mine. At closing hours we encountered a very agressive person who very obviously just out for picking a fight. Now this is of course always very uncomfortable, but I have been trained to deal with these sort of situations. One of the other guys with me was a friend from the Taekwondo who is also a black belt so we managed to handle it fine without anyone getting hurt. I wouldn't have mentioned this here unless it happened this particular weekend.
Yesterday night one of the worst things imaginable happened to a close friend of mine. We were out yesterday as well, everything was cool, we had pretty much forgot about what had happened the night before. My best friends girlfriend, who is also a close friend of mine was at the afterparty with us. At about 3:30 a.m or something she decided to go home to her boyfriend who wasn't out with us that night. About 5 minutes or something later I recieved a phone call from the boyfriend who tells me that he had recieved a call from his girlfriend. Someone had apperantly stalked her or something. He had told her to run for a location that we all knew were it was and then he called me. I grabbed my shoes and ran as fast as I could.
I met her when I was nearly there, she seemed to be physically okay but she was crying uncontrolably. I did my best to calm her down, and finally she was able to tell me what had happened. She had been assaulted by a man right after she had left us. Luckily he got scared away by something before he could complete what he was trying to do.
Her boyfriend got there a few minutes later and then the police got there. She's okay physically. She was very lucky the assaulter got scared off before he could do anything, but I can't even begin to imagine how she must feel. I'm so sad and angry right now. It's probably a good thing that I didn't catch the man who assaulted her. The bad thing is that there is a very slim chance that the police will eighter. She couldn't give any accurate description of how he looked or anything, so he will walk free for now.
I'm on my way down to see her and her boyfriend soon. I just talked to him and it seems that she is feeling okay concidering what has happened. Last time I saw her she was in shock when the police drove them home.

It's very easy in these situations to start blaiming yourself. I could have done things differently, I could have prevented it from happening, I could have done this and that. I know you should never think that way, but it's hard not to. If I had just walked her home... It would have been a smart thing to do, but you can never imagine that these things will happen to anyone close to you. Especially not in this small and relatively calm town I live in.
I just needed to write some of this of my chest. I think I acctually feel a bit better now. I'd like to ask for your good thoughts and prayers that everyone involved will be able to move on.

Thanks
Congratulations
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: What a horrible weekend

Post by Congratulations »

Henke wrote:I'd like to ask for your good thoughts and prayers that everyone involved will be able to move on.
You got it. Thoughts for everyone involved.
oh Lana Turner we love you get up
carrie

Post by carrie »

That is very terrible and I'm so sorry your friend had to endure that. She and all of you have my best wishes for getting through this unthinkable ordeal.

Carol
missy

Post by missy »

Henke - you are a good friend, and more than anything that's what she needs right now. And don't get down on yourself, although I do understand the urge to do so. You are helping her now, that's important, too.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

Terrible business but it could have been worse.

Don't beat yourself up for not walking her home or whatever Henke. Focus on the fact that you got there so quickly and were there when she needed someone.
Bad things happen to good people and there is nothing we can do to prevent that in most cases.

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

Prayers I can do mate. Sorry it was such a rotten weekend.
Here's hoping tomorrow's better.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
Henke

Post by Henke »

I have been talking to both her and her boyfriend today. She was feeling pretty good concidering the circumstances. The police had been at their home earlier that day and that was obviously very tough on her.
I really hope she will be able to move on.

I also realise she was very lucky. She got away with a bruised forehead from being pushed down on the ground besides the mental trauma which is obviously far worse than anything else. I really don't know how long it took until the man was scared off or exactly what happened but it could have been much, much worse, that's for sure.
I'm so pissed seeing this happened to her. She is one of the warmest, kindest, most generous and trusting persons I've ever known.
I'm also so pissed that the guy who did this to her is free. He will not get framed until he does this again and maybe gets caught then.

Thanks for your support so far and keep the good vibes coming.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That's horrible. We always think this stuff can't happen "in real life", then it does.

Coulda, shoulds, woulda will drive ya'll crazy. Just continue to be supportive.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

This is a nasty, random, violent world, all in all; it's thoughtful people like you who make it brighter. Don't blame yourself for the world being a bit more messed up than you thought.

The one positive thing I've been able to see in living through traumas: it can make us stronger and more coherent in our view of the world. Without crossing Dale's mental-health guidelines, suffice it to say that there are professionals who do an excellent job of helping people through crappy things that send us for a loop.

All the best to you and your friends.
Bryce
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Hang in there Henke, and same for your friend. We're all glad it didn't become worse than it actually did, and served as a wakeup call. Something for all of us to keep in mind!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

All my good thoughts and prayers to ya, bro.
Stay strong for your friends, and we'll stay strong for you. :)
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I offer my well wishes to your friend and her boyfriend. A terrible thing, and I understand what they must be going through.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm sorry your friend has had such a bad experience. I would be so scared to have anyone just approach me in a scary way. I'm glad she has such good friends to help her. After something bad happens, it almost always seems you could have done something. But that is because after it happens you know things you didn't know before. Maybe you can learn something, or not, from the course of events, but it isn't a blaming thing at all.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca