The Great Wall of DUH!

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
reedbiter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Great Wall of DUH!

Post by reedbiter »

I am quick to admit my own stupidity...and first to laugh at it..ok..mebbe I cry first..but anyways! This is a re-print (upon request) of the first installment of what I like to call my "Great Wall of DUH!". It keeps me humble... :lol:

Mostly just to hear myself talk..er..see myself in print, I thought I'd share a good story so that all can have a good laugh at my expense...trust me..I'VE certainly been laughing!

SO, to make a short story long. I had been working on a few sets of pipes using silver and mammoth ivory. So I try to keep my eyes open for good deals in certain places on the web and from dealers etc. I found an amazing "scrimshawed Inuit mammoth ivory ball" on ebay... I asked all the relevant questions etc. and snatched it up for an absolute STEAL of a deal.

It arrived a few days ago...I opened the package to find exactly what I had been hoping for...the thing was PERFECT...about 3.5" in diameter...no apparent "beaty lines" as dealers like to call them. WOW! The TUSK this thing must've come from to create a SOLID, uncracked BALL...ok..um..well..it felt a LITTLE light to me..but hope springs eternal..

I then proceeded to scrape off a bit of "patina and scrimshaw" (don't gasp, it was made in the 80's, was terribly ugly..NOT an artifact..sheesh!) to verify that it was indeed mammoth and not elephant. But I found to my horror that I could not see any of the cross-hatching that clearly identifies elephant/mammoth ivory. Rutt-Roh....I sanded a good chunk off....drilled a small pilot hole. Yep. Verification and clarifications. I had been had. Snookered. Bamboozled. Hood-Winked. Cheated. It turned out to be some sort of man-made material.

Ahh..but what?!

And there I was, frustrated at being cheated out of $40, NOT having a really good chunk of ivory. And yet, in my head( ever the "craftsman" ) I'm still trying to figure out what TYPE of material it is, and if I can still USE it for something. Unfortunately I found that it wasn't even GOOD fake ivory! It was dusty, and without any grain whatsoever. It rather reminded me of a chalk sculpture a former student of mine had given me.

And thus, not in a rage but out of curiosity, I flung the offending item at the floor (with some sort of subconscious image of it shattering like chalk) only to find myself instantly flat on my back (after having been knocked back into my workbench) and my head hurting like there was no tomorrow... I then slowly rose to my feet to find that after the ball had ricocheted off of my poor noodle, it had not only made an impact crater on my workshop floor, but had destroyed part of a whistle under construction and various other sundry necessary instrument parts.
I then found to my great horror, and shortly after ..my great amusement that the aforementioned offending sphere had left a rather substantial hematoma (sp?) on my poor brow which had begun to swell and look rather menacing. At this point, it was the size of a golf ball.

I then waddled into my house, chuckling at the image of myself getting bonked like the idiots from "Home Alone" or some stupid 70's/80's hanna barberra cartoon. Wasn't I somehow on the WRONG end of the DAvid and Goliath thing? My name IS David after all...
When my darling bride set her eyes upon be, she shrieked in horror (a very similar yelp that I had received years earlier following a nasty gun-powder incident).

And so, I turned to the mirror to gaze at my heinous, hideous reflection to find that I had somehow become cro-magnon man!! Of course, the fact that I hadn't shaved in weeks and was covered in ebony sawdust only highlighted my obvious, grizzly de-evolution into something subhuman.

Apparently, I AM the missing link. Goodbye.

..Oh yes, it swelled and swelled and obscured my vision...hurt like the dickens...but it's better now!! No cracks, no permanent damage...I'm still devilishly handsome AND I'm obviously still laughing about it!
reedbiter

Part 2

Post by reedbiter »

As many of you know, this last year has been pure H-E-doublehockeysticks for me..and the ultimate result has been severe carpal tunnel, nerve damage, and surgeries! At one point I had to box up and mothball the entire shop.

One of the many things that had to be boxed up was all of the already finished instruments including a large selection of fine bellows. Well, as I was unpacking these bellows recently, I discovered that they had all acquired a rather odd new ability.

They rattled.

Hunh. They shouldn't do that. So I pick one up and inflate it. Sealing the inlet and outlet, I shake this particular bellows. She's solid. Airtight. I lick the leather and keep squeezing. Not a SINGLE bubble. Phew! A testament to good leather.

And so I ask myself, what could possibly be making that sound. Duh.

And so I remove my finger from the outlet valvle, while still squeezing the bellows, and peer into the gaping hole and...

....I get a great @#@@$ing chunck of dog food right in my eye..I fall over a step stool, crack my head and break part of a treasure chest I had been making for my kids to celebrate international pirate's day!

Oh for the love of mike! THAT's where all the dogfood has been disappearing to! All six bellows were chunk FULL of dog food.

...can we say this all together... DUH!!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Sounds like mice might have been nesting in the bellowses.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Belli? What's the plural here?
jqpublick

Post by jqpublick »

IF:

" pipers " = " surly "

THEN:

" (bellows + 1)N " = " belli-cose "

Mark
:D
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

misterpatrick wrote:Belli? What's the plural here?
According to Merriam-Webster, "bellows" is singular or plural.

This is a Belli:

Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes
L42B

Post by L42B »

A sign of a strong character if your able to laugh in the face of dispair. Thanks David for the light harted read; with all the assignments that I have at the moment that's something that I need, a good chuckel (but not at your expense). Hope things turn out all the best for you, and I'm sure they will.

Cheers L42B :D