Midpriced Bamboo Flutes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
hans
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

KateG wrote: One question: starting with all fingers down, what are the notes and/or intervals as you go up the flute. I'm interested because I've been experimenting with some balkan tunes that have a pattern that goes E, F nat, G#, A, B, C, D, E. Sort of like an E minor scale, except that the 2nd degree is flat and the third sharp relative to western norms, creating a 1 1/2 step interval between the 2nd and third steps. I assume it's a definate mode, but I don't know what to call it. It sounds wonderful, even if the F nat/G# combo flusters my muscle memory which expects F nat to go with G nat.
Great mode! It has many names in different traditions. I quote from wikipedia:

Phrygian dominant scale
The sequence of steps comprising the Phrygian dominant scale is
half – augmented – half – whole – half – whole – whole

The Phrygian dominant scale is constructed by raising the third of the Phrygian scale and is the fifth mode of the harmonic minor scale, the fifth being the dominant.

It is often known as a Spanish Phrygian scale, as it is commonly used in flamenco music. It is also known as Ahava Rabboh or Freygish when used in Hebrew prayers and Klezmer music (earning it the additional title of the Jewish scale), or as the Hijaz scale when used in Turkish or Arabic music. Often, it has found application in modern progressive rock/metal, most notably with Joe Satriani, who cites the Phrygian Dominant as his favorite scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_dominant_scale
Jumbuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jumbuk »

KateG wrote: I'm interested because I've been experimenting with some balkan tunes that have a pattern that goes E, F nat, G#, A, B, C, D, E. Sort of like an E minor scale, except that the 2nd degree is flat and the third sharp relative to western norms, creating a 1 1/2 step interval between the 2nd and third steps. I assume it's a definate mode, but I don't know what to call it. It sounds wonderful, even if the F nat/G# combo flusters my muscle memory which expects F nat to go with G nat.
That's the middle-eastern scale I was talking about ("Havah Nagilah"). I have seen it called the Arabian or Eastern scale, which is a simplification because most middle-eastern music is more complex than just sticking to a single scale. I think a lot of the Balkan (Macedonian etc) music has a definite middle-eastern heritage.
KateG

Post by KateG »

Thanks hans and Jumbuck! Phrygian Dominant, the name sounds almost as delicious as the scale :D
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

KateG wrote:Thanks hans and Jumbuck! Phrygian Dominant, the name sounds almost as delicious as the scale :D
Yes, with any harmonic sequence you will get this scale from the fifth note
and therefore, in turn, you will get harmonic minor from the fourth note of this scale. I already mentioned this scale in my post as the Eastern Euro. Ahava Rabba scale and indic raaga Basant Mukhari plays in it.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

hans wrote:It is often known as a Spanish Phrygian scale, as it is commonly used in flamenco music. It is also known as Ahava Rabboh or Freygish when used in Hebrew prayers and Klezmer music (earning it the additional title of the Jewish scale), or as the Hijaz scale when used in Turkish or Arabic music. Often, it has found application in modern progressive rock/metal, most notably with Joe Satriani, who cites the Phrygian Dominant as his favorite scale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phrygian_dominant_scale
Hans, how relaible is that info. about Hijaz. I was under the impression that Hijaz scale was the Bhairav scale
1:3:1:2:1:3:1
sa, komal ri, ga, ma, pa, komal dha, ni, sa
(whereas ahava rabba/basant mukhari is
sa, komal ri, ga, ma, pa, komal dha, komal ni, sa)

Is there a good non wikipedia source reagrding the middle eastern maqams
which is reader friendly somewhere?

Let us look for one!
(I am also interested in the Byzantine Christian terms for these non diatonic modes.)
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

talasiga wrote: Hans, how relaible is that info. about Hijaz. I was under the impression that Hijaz scale was the Bhairav scale
1:3:1:2:1:3:1
I think you are right and the wikipedia info is not. Maybe you can edit it!

See http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/scales.htm

and http://www.classicalarabicmusic.com/sik ... lusian.htm

Maqam Hijaz according to that page has an ascending and a descending scale:

Ascending in steps: half - one and a half - half - one - three quarters - three quarters - one
Descending in steps: half - one and a half - half - one - half - one -one

So this descending scale is the same as Phrygian Dominant.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

hans wrote: I think you are right and the wikipedia info is not. Maybe you can edit it!
Hans, I haven't indulged in the links you provided as yet but it may be that the wiki is correct after all because
this site seems to indicate that what I call Hijaz (=Bhairav)
I should be calling Hijaz Kar.

Apparently there is a diff. between Hijaz and Hijaz Kar.

(I'll look at your links now)
AKA Nantoka

what keys?...

Post by AKA Nantoka »

hi Jim Stone,
Billy has them in all keys....
right now he is on the road & not able to get much computer time but next week when he gets back he will be reading this board in case you wanted to know more.
cheers
Suzy
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Jumbuk wrote:I have several of Erik's flutes. They are pretty good value, but you should make sure you get the "concert tuned" versions - the others can be pot luck as regards tuning.

Thanks all, for the input. I reviewed the websites of the makers noted, and found that their prices and products differed a bit. So I went with the cheapest and ordered an Erik 'Brazilian Concert G', which arrived today. For the price ($50) I'm very satisfied. It's a very simple bamboo flute, with no thread windings or anything added. But it is an easy player, and is in perfect tune. It's strong on the bell note, and plays well up into the third octave. He also includes some reading material that's a bit of a hoot, and some EZ instruction stuff for new players.

Maybe someday I'll have an opportunity to try an Olwell and get spoiled, but in the meantime I can recommend these for anyone looking to get into bamboo flutes at a lower cost.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde