Chiff & Fipple, What Does It Mean to You?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

fyffer wrote:
WhistlingArmadillo wrote:
Wormdiet wrote:Folks. . . . maybe one reason many of us (though not by any means all) are white is that we all like IRISH music. It might be relevant.
I really think it's because my parents were.

And the lists left out newbie Armadillos.
... and the undead, fife-playing Red Sox Fans (who might as well be dead now anyway).

:D
... right alongside Cubs fans. :cry:
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:
jsluder wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:That kind of stuff really makes my colon sweat.
Eeewwwww... I really didn't need that mental image, especially this early in the day. :shock:
MarkS wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:...colon sweat.
Terrible name for a beer. Just terrible. :D
Why? There's an 8 year old blended scotch called Sheep Dip. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Colon Sweat sounds like a good name for a soccer. . . er, I mean, football player.

Ian Scribbage gets sent off and coming in to replace him for Arsenal is Colon Sweat.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

I apologize to Mr. Tipple for hijacking his thread with my offhand observation. I made several other observations in the same sentence and had no idea that so many folks would harp on my one word. I wish they would have all responded to Mr. Tipple's question about what the board means to them, instead of launching into self-defense mode.

I may be wrong, but the expectation when Mr. Tipple started the thread was probably for a bunch of warm fuzzies and group hugs. Sorry to mess up the plan. At least I didn't mention the white thing in my first reply and ruin it entirely.

I have no doubt that there have been many strong and lasting friendships made here. I'm sure that some even had their lives saved or changed by leaps and bounds, either through people they met or information they were exposed to or some sense of community they felt that they could find no where else. There have been at least two marriages, so no doubt those couples will always have a soft spot for Chiff & Fipple.

That said, I stated what I stated. I was talking about the nature of friends to someone else. There are friends that are a convenience of place. Whether it be work place, or a club meeting, a church, a gym, whatever. If a person stops going to that place, some of these friends fall away never to be seen or heard from again. Strong lasting friendships remain after the convenience of place is gone.

I am sure there are many, many folks that would remain in contact if this board was gone. However, in my particular case, the number of people I would still correspond with or visit or want to visit, is zero. I see that as a direct answer to what Mr. Tipple asked about. There is no right or wrong with that, it is what is.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

BillChin wrote:I apologize to Mr. Tipple for hijacking his thread with my offhand observation.
You didn't hijack anything. Trust me.
BillChin wrote:I made several other observations in the same sentence and had no idea that so many folks would harp on my one word. I wish they would have all responded to Mr. Tipple's question about what the board means to them, instead of launching into self-defense mode.
Again, the harping wasn't directed at you.
BillChin wrote:I may be wrong, but the expectation when Mr. Tipple started the thread was probably for a bunch of warm fuzzies and group hugs. Sorry to mess up the plan. At least I didn't mention the white thing in my first reply and ruin it entirely.
No, I don't think you're off the mark about any normal expectations. I found your post interesting because of that, and more about personal ways than any other thing.
BillChin wrote:I am sure there are many, many folks that would remain in contact if this board was gone. However, in my particular case, the number of people I would still correspond with or visit or want to visit, is zero. I see that as a direct answer to what Mr. Tipple asked about. There is no right or wrong with that, it is what is.
Just so.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
fyffer

Post by fyffer »

gonzo914 wrote: Colon Sweat sounds like a good name for a soccer. . . er, I mean, football player.

Ian Scribbage gets sent off and coming in to replace him for Arsenal is Colon Sweat.
[Thread Creep]

There was a politician in New Hampster named Dick Swett.
No foolin'.

If it were me, I'd go by "Richard".

[/Thread Creep]
___\|/______________________________
|___O____|_O_O_o_|_o_O__O__|_O__O__|
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

fyffer wrote:
gonzo914 wrote: Colon Sweat sounds like a good name for a soccer. . . er, I mean, football player.

[Thread Creep]

There was a politician in New Hampster named Dick Swett.
No foolin'.

If it were me, I'd go by "Richard".

[/Thread Creep]
Little Richard did. :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Haw haw haw haw. :lol:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

BillChin wrote:
While you'all may be family, I am more like one of the neighborhood stray cats :) I wander about and occasionally someone pays me some mind, but if I am gone for weeks at time, no one seems to notice. When I reappear no one seems to notice. When I howl at the moon someone throws a brick :) Family I ain't.
Not much different than other social relationships outside your "real" family, I'd say. If we don't take ourselves too seriously, and avoid being jerks just because no one can see us, we can enjoy each others' company. I like these boards a lot, and visit intermittently throughout my work day.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
djm

Post by djm »

CrookedTune wrote:being jerks just because no one can see us
I reserve the right to be white, male and a jerk at all times.

If I had written something like "colon sweat" the whole thread would have disappeared. What can we say about someone who drinks blended scotch? :-?
WhistlingArmadillo wrote:And the lists left out newbie Armadillos.
I want to go home with the armadillos
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
The friendliest people and the prettiest women that you've ever seen

djm
Last edited by djm on Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Ask not what the Chiffboard means to you; ask what you mean to the Chiffboard.
/Bloomfield
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Bloomfield wrote:Ask not what the Chiffboard means to you; ask what you mean to the Chiffboard.
Easy for you to say, Mr. Decend Like a God to Reveal Chiffma to the Underdeserving Masses

(Chiffma is like Dogma, with a scratchier bark)
Denny

Post by Denny »

Bloomfield wrote:Ask not what the Chiffboard means to you; ask what you mean to the Chiffboard.
brilliant little quote, innit!

I'd think that I'm the stupid git with the pictures and the poor sense of humor.

'sure am glad I thought of them pictures!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I see idealism isn't dead. :wink:
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Nanohedron wrote:
... it just smells funny.
/Bloomfield
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Bloomfield wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:
... it just smells funny.
Heh.