"I consider it my moral duty..."

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
feadog39
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadog39 »

hmmm, this reminds me of a saying that applies to the realm of romance and dating. Perhaps there is some overlap. It goes: "always give a woman what she needs, but never necessary what she wants." So let's say i meet a super attractive woman at a bar. There is a good chance she wants and expects you be blown over by her beauty. So I go up to her and say "Hey, how are you? Wow, you look great. But I don't know, those earings really don't work on you." So i give her what she needs: respectful attention. But not what she wants: to be worshiped for her looks. And it strike me that it is a moral duty NOT to give her exactly what she wants because for to do otherwise would mean that i'm just a lame-o sycophantic putz, the kind of guy women generally end up hating anyway despite the attention they get out of it.

Just thinking out loud here, Harry. But I think you're onto something...
Brendan
fearfaoin
antispam: No

Post by fearfaoin »

feadog39 wrote:So I go up to her and say "Hey, how are you? Wow, you look great. But I don't know, those earings really don't work on you."
Well, now she thinks you're gay. I don't know if she needed or wanted that...
Cathy Wilde
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Cathy Wilde »

feadog39 wrote:hmmm, this reminds me of a saying that applies to the realm of romance and dating. Perhaps there is some overlap. It goes: "always give a woman what she needs, but never necessary what she wants." So let's say i meet a super attractive woman at a bar. There is a good chance she wants and expects you be blown over by her beauty. So I go up to her and say "Hey, how are you? Wow, you look great. But I don't know, those earings really don't work on you." So i give her what she needs: respectful attention. But not what she wants: to be worshiped for her looks. And it strike me that it is a moral duty NOT to give her exactly what she wants because for to do otherwise would mean that i'm just a lame-o sycophantic putz, the kind of guy women generally end up hating anyway despite the attention they get out of it.

Just thinking out loud here, Harry. But I think you're onto something...
No, what she's really asking herself is "Does he WANT me to throw my beer in his face, or does he really NEED me to?" :lol:
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Cathy Wilde wrote:No, what she's really asking herself is "Does he WANT me to throw my beer in his face, or does he really NEED me to?" :lol:
touche. wouldn't be the first time. :D

ya win some and ya lose some...
Brendan
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Harry,

are you going into politics?
FWIW= 2800 Euros, abstractly speaking.
Is that the price at which you, or your morals, can be bought? Or, are we talking keyed Murrays here...or the cost of a good religious education or a really expensive metre ruler?

Eric
Harry

Post by Harry »

Jayhawak,

That's for the flute and rule, I'll give you a damn good price reduction if you can extract the education.

You can keep some of the people happy all of the time, and all of the people happy some of the time, and the rest are bollockses.

No, I'm not for politics.

Regards,

H.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Harry wrote: I, of course, developed mine through years of rigourous religious training with a well swung metre rule. Oh, Sweet Education: distroyer of hopes, bringer of mediocrity.
Amen! Or, as a wise and wry acquaintance said recently ....

'I was beaten with bamboo canes and leather straps until my hands bled. .... The main reason for the beatings was my inability to speak, read or write in the Irish language. .... I was taught by Nuns so I knew a lot about religion but that did not count for much in Holy Ireland.

I'm now reasonably fluent in Irish and a confirmed atheist.'
Harry wrote:FWIW= 2800 Euros, abstractly speaking.
:lol: Strictly abstractly, of course. :lol:

You are a funny man.
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Harry wrote:and the rest are bollockses.
Careful now, isn't that sailing dangerously close to assuming that a large portion of people are equal?

;-)
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

feadog39 wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote:No, what she's really asking herself is "Does he WANT me to throw my beer in his face, or does he really NEED me to?" :lol:
touche. wouldn't be the first time. :D

ya win some and ya lose some...
There you go, that's the spirit. Although your percentages might improve if, instead of picking on her earrings, you were to whisper to her that her equally beautiful friend (who just happened to be sitting on the barstool next to her) didn't look good enough for her ....
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Ooops, I think I just based that on the same assumption! :lol: Curses. Foiled again.
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

Cathy Wilde wrote: There you go, that's the spirit. Although your percentages might improve if, instead of picking on her earrings, you were to whisper to her that her equally beautiful friend (who just happened to be sitting on the barstool next to her) didn't look good enough for her ....
I don't know, Cathy, i think you might be increasing my chances of experiencing "Deja Fu" :wink:
Brendan
Denny

Post by Denny »

feadog39 wrote:
Cathy Wilde wrote: There you go, that's the spirit. Although your percentages might improve if, instead of picking on her earrings, you were to whisper to her that her equally beautiful friend (who just happened to be sitting on the barstool next to her) didn't look good enough for her ....
I don't know, Cathy, i think you might be increasing my chances of experiencing "Deja Fu" :wink:
'bout doubled 'em, eh?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

Heh-heh, good one guys.

Hey, that's TWO, count 'em, two, locked threads in a month.

I'm not getting older, I'm getting ruder! :-D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Cathy Wilde wrote:Heh-heh, good one guys.

Hey, that's TWO, count 'em, two, locked threads in a month.

I'm not getting older, I'm getting ruder! :-D
You wound me. Not locked, but moved. The milk of human kindness in me is pasteurised and fresh. Not gamma-rayed, though.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
feadog39

Post by feadog39 »

cathy, it's a slippery slippery slope

and apparently that slope is slippery because there's fresh pasteurized milk on it. i'd always wondered what that was... :P
Brendan