Starter set recommendations please.....so confused.......

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
pipesergeant
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Starter set recommendations please.....so confused.......

Post by pipesergeant »

Hello everyone, I've been trying hard to do my homework before posting here about this as I know this subject has been dealt with many many times before but I'm utterly confused and need your advice.

I want to get a practice set. I'm looking for something with a great bellows and a really nice chanter. My biggest consideration is tone of the chanter, ie. no honking on certain notes etc....no weirdness.

Please could you post up some recommendations? I know that many say it's best to buy something fairly local. I have nothing local. I would have to drive at least to NY from Ohio where I live.

What I'm looking for is this: which makers, in your opinion, make the best sounding chanters, and why?

Also, who makes the best bellows and why?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn

PS. please feel free to pm me your opinion if you don't want to publicly post it.
Tony
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Much of the sound of a chanter is determined by the reed and the person playing it. That said...

You are asking for a high quality set. Typically, top makers have waiting lists of 4 years or more.

Unless you can find something used, you would have to place an order with a maker and wait.

Do you then go for something with a shorter wait to get you started and sell it when your desired set arrives?
Coffee

Post by Coffee »

I'm playing on a David Daye set myself, and it suits my needs as far as I can tell, but honestly It's the only one I've ever played to date and I don't have any basis of comparison.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
SEAGULL
Tell us something.: I am not a robot. I am person with dreams and aspirations. I actually hate robots. I do not trust them. Help computer

Post by SEAGULL »

check your pm. I sent you something!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Nick Whitmer in Ithaca, NY

In addition to the quality of his work, Nick's prices are reasonable and his lead time is within reason (4 to 6 mts for a practice set).
PJ
DarthWeasel

Post by DarthWeasel »

no honking on certain notes etc....no weirdness
Isn't that what this instrument is supposed to do?
"Sleep well, and dream of large women"
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

At this link you'll find the names of pipemakers and links to their websites:
http://www.uilleannobsession.com/links_makers.html

One thing I did when I was looking into pipemakers was to run a search on each (or a number of them) pipemaker in this forum to see what comments may have been made.

1. Click on "Search" in the upper right hand corner of the page.

2. When you get to the Search page, look for this phrase "Or use the forums' built-in search:"

3. Just under that phrase, you will see:
"Search for Keywords:
You can use AND to define words which must be in the results, OR to define words which may be in the result and NOT to define words which should not be in the result. Use * as a wildcard for partial matches"

In the white blank to the right of the Keyword explanation put the first and last name of the person you are searching for comments about, like this, if I were looking for John Doe,:

John and Doe

4. Under the white blank, click the dot by this sentence "Search for any terms or use query as entered"

5. For "Forum", choose Uilleann Pipe. For category, just leave on "All available".

6. IMPORTANT!!! For "Display results as:", be sure to click on "Posts". Do not let the default "Topics" stay there. You will get much better results if you click "Posts". The other stuff to the right just leave it.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
myrddinemrys
Tell us something.: Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something Something something.

Post by myrddinemrys »

Honk? It's a goose! ha-WAK!
Wild Goose Studios Music, reed making and pipe making.
anima

Post by anima »