Chiff & Fipple, What Does It Mean to You?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Jack »

peeplj wrote:Each of us has something that sets us apart, some chink in our armor, something about us that we can use as an excuse to hold us apart from each other.

That said, there is real prejudice...but I haven't seen much here. The few isolated incidents I can think of involving real prejudice on these boards were met with such an icy disdain that the perps are long gone from among us.

These boards are remarkably prejudice-free, in my opinion.

--James
I don't expect you to see much racial prejudice here, James.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Cranberry wrote:
peeplj wrote:Each of us has something that sets us apart, some chink in our armor, something about us that we can use as an excuse to hold us apart from each other.

That said, there is real prejudice...but I haven't seen much here. The few isolated incidents I can think of involving real prejudice on these boards were met with such an icy disdain that the perps are long gone from among us.

These boards are remarkably prejudice-free, in my opinion.

--James
I don't expect you to see much racial prejudice here, James.
Cranberry, if there's something you'd like to say about me, please come on out and say it.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Nanohedron wrote:I have been the sole "white folk" seated at the tables of "persons of color", and similarly in bars, and many's the time, thank you. No one made me be there, and no one made me leave. Any discomfort is mine, not someone else's, to work out. Period.
As have I. And, I'm certain, many others here. This continued innuendo is preposterous; you're drawing inferences that lack a reasonable basis, Cran. Give over. Please.
Denny
antispam: No

Post by Denny »

scottielvr wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:I have been the sole "white folk" seated at the tables of "persons of color", and similarly in bars, and many's the time, thank you. No one made me be there, and no one made me leave. Any discomfort is mine, not someone else's, to work out. Period.
As have I. And, I'm certain, many others here. This continued innuendo is preposterous; you're drawing inferences that lack a reasonable basis, Cran. Give over. Please.
Table! I've been the only honky in the building...
Jack

Post by Jack »

Denny wrote:
scottielvr wrote:
Table! I've been the only honky in the building...
In the building and in life are two different situations, I'm afraid. I used the "at the table" situation as an example.
scottielvr wrote:
It would be one thing if I were the only person who felt something was a bit...off kilter...with the demographics here, but I'm not. I'm not lacking a reasonable basis for how I feel and no white person living in the US or Europe is going to convince me otherwise.

I know the discomfort is my own. I didn't mean to say it was other people's. Sorry it came across that way.
Last edited by Jack on Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Perhaps you should find a jazz, blues, hip hop or rap forum to balance out your day.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Denny wrote:Perhaps you should find a jazz, blues, hip hop or rap forum to balance out your day.
Ok, sure. Right. I'll do that right away. I'm actually just going to shut up now to avoid exploding into a million little pieces and to avoid being pushed out or having the thread locked on my account. I do encourage anybody who has less of a temper and impulsiveness than me to continue the dialogue.

In the meantime, I'm going to sleep now. Have a blessed rest of the day, Denny (and James and everybody else).
missy

Post by missy »

Cran - I may be white / caucasian / whatever you want to call it - but, as you know, I'm NOT male.

I don't feel any discomfort here because of that. Of course, I've never felt any discomfort anywhere because of being female, even when I've worked in "traditionally" male workplaces or been in "traditionally" male venues.
I don't feel any discomfort in my neighborhood, even though I'm in the "minority" group - and been that way since I moved here in 1979. I do feel discomfort because of some of the perps who are trying to destroy this neighborhood, but that has nothing to do with race, it has to do with lack of morals and brains (and jail beds).
Sure there are areas where I don't "fit in". Most of those are where people make a heck of a lot more money than I do - and honestly, I don't WANT to fit in.

If you want "diversity" - then find more diverse whistle players and get them to join here!

And while Dale, Nano, Joseph and Rich may all be male, and white, I'd hardly classify them as "alike". I wouldn't even go so far as to classify them as "normal" - whatever that is.
I mean - we're on a WHISTLE board, for goodness sake!!!!!
We can't be normal!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

djm wrote:
BillChin wrote:Unfortunately, only on the very margins do I get any of that from this community. Whether it be the strong political slant (vs. other message boards), the age, the whiteness of the community, it does not resonate with me on any more than a superficial level.
This is a very public forum. There are only a few people who regularly post, but many who lurk. Is it really appropriate to get all touchy/feely in such an exposed environment? Perhaps the term "family" is too broadly applied. We here are acquaintances, but it would take much more private communication between individuals to become friends. Is that what you feel is missing?

Being irretrievably white, I'm afraid I can't see how this board is particularly race-based. We may speak of cultures and practices that are not common to the Occidental habit, but I'm not aware of any segregation here. If you feel you can only chat within your own racial group, isn't that more of an issue with you and not the forum? Maybe I don't understand. Please provide lurid details. :D

djm
I already did. I said I am the stray cat of the community. Now there is one lamb, one dog, and one cat, and I think one hamster. If you can't see the systematic oppression against felines, even having a recent thread about cats being locked, you are blind.
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

BillChin wrote:Now there is one lamb, one dog, and one cat, and I think one hamster. If you can't see the systematic oppression against felines, even having a recent thread about cats being locked, you are blind.
I am deeply offended that you excluded cartoon ducks from your list. At least you, as a stray cat, do not have to worry about hunting season and all the Elmer Fuddy-duddies around here. :evil:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
missy

Post by missy »

and what about my monkeys?????
(remember, I'm the cute one....)
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

Cranberry wrote:In the building and in life are two different situations, I'm afraid. I used the "at the table" situation as an example.
At risk of tediously restating a self-evident truth...this is not life. This is a message board on which participation is voluntary. The analogy Nano made pertains to other voluntary social interactions.
It would be one thing if I were the only person who felt something was a bit...off kilter...with the demographics here, but I'm not. I'm not lacking a reasonable basis for how I feel and no white person living in the US or Europe is going to convince me otherwise. ...
Hmm... Over time, it's always seemed to me that professional musicians, "serious hobby" musicians, and music lovers in general tend to be unusually tolerant of diversity, racial and otherwise. The world of music is inherently diverse, and there, one earns respect in different ways. I think that kind of tolerance is consistently reflected in the content of the discussions on this board. If one applies that kind of reality-testing, one sees little to no racial prejudice here (pervasive and deep-seated prejudice against a certain percussion instrument that shall not be named being a different matter, natch). That's why I was not just puzzled but a little offended by the inference that there is some malign implication to the C&F "demographic" (as distinct from those of the "real world," which is another matter altogether, but beyond the scope of this discussion). There are plenty of greater issues in the wide wide world to be concerned about; save your energy for those, Cran; and to that end, I wish you a good sleep.
:wink:
scottielvr

Post by scottielvr »

BillChin wrote:I already did. I said I am the stray cat of the community. Now there is one lamb, one dog, and one cat, and I think one hamster. If you can't see the systematic oppression against felines, even having a recent thread about cats being locked, you are blind.
Scotties vehemently oppose all forms of oppression, and at this time I would like to deny ever having harmed any fellow creatures, and particularly, any badgers. I deeply regret all such criminal acts performed by my ancestors, and offer reparations, in the form of an unlimited supply of voles.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

A lamb, a dog, a cat, a hamster, a monkey, a cartoon duck, and badgers and, of course, whatever gonzo is.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

gonzo914 wrote:A lamb, a dog, a cat, a hamster, a monkey, a cartoon duck, and badgers and, of course, whatever gonzo is.
You forgot a Totoro.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.