wooden whistles - advice?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kgharper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kgharper »

I came to whistle playing through the recorder, and although I now have a healthy and growing collection of metal whistles (Overton, Chieftan, Burke, Sindt, Herbison) I’m looking for a reasonably priced wooden whistle that doesn’t sound like a flute or recorder. Abell and Shultz are obviously top flight, but more than I want to pay. Makers that have caught my attention are Bleazey, Rose and Sullivan. Can anyone make a recommendation?
Brian Lee
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Brian Lee »

O'Riordan!!!

This is one of Dale's favorite whistles mind you, and there is a huge wait to get one (like 2 1/2 years I believe) but as most players will attest too...worth it!

Otherwise, I'd also reccommend a weasel. Chris Abell's stuff is VERY pretty to look at, but in the hads of those I've heard play them, none of whom are proffessional players mind you, I wasn't overly impressed with their sound. Could just be me though.

Rose whistles sound a goodbuy, but they're also new to many of us here at C&F. You may want to hold off a few months untill the 'newness' factor wears off, and we get som solid reviews a few months in.

Hope this is helpful.

Bri~
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

A good Abell whistle is impossible to beat, but not as easy to find as one might hope, because you have to play it in for about six months before it reaches maturity. Schultz Weasels vary, too. The other makers you mentioned are not widely reviewed in this community, so I can't give advice on them. A Grinter is a good wooden high d whistle.

:smile: Jessie
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

On 2001-07-04 16:28, Brian Lee wrote:
Rose whistles sound a goodbuy, but they're also new to many of us here at C&F. You may want to hold off a few months untill the 'newness' factor wears off, and we get som solid reviews a few months in.
Do you really need anything more than hearing Mick Woodruff's recordings at Clips & Snips to convince you?
Of course, I think Mick could probably play the worst whistle in the world and make it sound great. :wink:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: raindog1970 on 2001-07-04 17:03 ]</font>
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

TWZ ... a little dream of a wood whistle (sycamore) for about $50, available from Thom at The Whistle Stop (Dale has recently been very devoted to his TWZ.)

Further up the price ladder, I am thrilled with my Jean-Luc Boudreau whistles. Three bodies (D, C, B-flat) with an interchangeable head. Jean-Luc has been a recorder-maker (Aesthe) for 20 years, and the plunge into whistles combines what he has learned in that arena with whistle "technology". $250 for the set and worth it, in my estimation. There is a review of Boudreau's whistles (plus link) at Chiff & Fipple ... under Chiff News.

When I was at Hobgoblin in London (they sell Rose whistles), the word was they are great, but sell out way too fast. I didn't have a chance try one, unfortunately.

cheers
FE
(in recorder fellowship :smile:)
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

I got a TWZ whistle that was unplayably out of tune...not a matter of opinion...absolutely factually awful. I'd watch out in terms of quality control.

:smile: Jessie
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I tried a Rose wooden whistle. It sounded like a recorder more than any other whistle I've heard. Abell sounds slightly flute-like, but mostly whistley. My favorite. Ralph Sweet makes a $75 (approx) wood whistle, but it's extremely loud in the upper octave compared to the lower. I haven't heard a This Weasel. (No one who owns one has ever posted at Clips and Snips. Hint, hint.)
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

I have tried two sets of Abell whistles: The first one (one of Abells' older efforts) was nice, but the air pressure required to play the 2nd octave was much too high for my tastes.

I tried the other set of whistles last week: They were <b>much</b> nicer, in fact I don't hesitate calling them the best whistles I have ever tried (and that's up against some stiff competition, believe me)! They were even for sale... Sigh. :smile:

Both sets definitely sounded "whistley", not at all recorder-like.

Cheers,
Jens

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jens_Hoppe on 2001-07-05 03:58 ]</font>
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Weasel,Weasel, Weasel!!!
Glenn's stuff is simply top flight. Someone mentioned that they are somewhat variable-- I haven't seen this, but since whistles like these are handmade out of a variable material like wood, it is certainly a possibility. Reputable makers like Glenn will defintely address any problems you may have.
I have a TWZ which is not good at all.
Got it from the Whistle Stop-- this is actually my SECOND bad TWZ. The Whistle Stop folks were terrific about replacing the first one which arrived nearly unplayable. I'm in the process of learning to make wooden whstles myself (watch this board!!), and so I couldn't resist tinkering to try to fix the second one and made it even worse.
FairEmma

Post by FairEmma »

Hmmm. Clearly I got lucky with the TWZ. Although I will admit it arrived very dry (I oiled it well) and with a less-than-stellar sanding job to the interior. But these issues were manageable. Intonation and playability haven't been problems for me and I do like the tone.

But I'd agree, at $50, these sorts of quality control issues of playability shouldn't be a problem. And it's not like you'd want to spend that kind of money for a tent stake (not that the thing would even stand up in that service).

Guess I can only recommend *my* TWZ. :smile:

FE

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FairEmma on 2001-07-05 12:53 ]</font>
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

I second Jessie on Abells. The D blackwood whistle
is definitely worth the price.
They do get better with playing;
one of the most lovely sounds in the
universe.
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

I just want to give some of my thoughts on the Rose whistle.
On 2001-07-04 19:05, TonyHiggins wrote:
I tried a Rose wooden whistle. It sounded like a recorder more than any other whistle I've heard.
I would hate for Tony's statement to lead everyone to believe that the Rose sounds like a recorder. I understand what Tony is saying - the Rose does have some recorder-like qualities to its timbre, and perhaps more than most other whistles, but it is a relative perception only. I have played recorders for many years and think I can reasonably claim to know what a recorder sounds like, and in my opinion the Rose does <I>not</I> sound like a recorder. It sounds like a very beautiful whistle. I am quite confident that I could never confuse the Rose with a recorder, believe me!<P>Like a recorder, the Rose is free of chiff and other "windy" artefacts; its tone is clean, pure, sweet and firm...quite exquisite in fact. Those looking for chiff and rustic tones may not be happy with a Rose whistle, but most others would probably be delighted.<P>As for cost, the Rose is not expensive in comparison to, say, an Abell. However, in my opinion, the cheap asking price belies the time and skill and love which Fred Rose invests in the production of these very fine instruments.<P> Regards,
Mick.
claudine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

Thanks Mick, you reassured me a lot, as I have ordered a whistle from Fred Rose, which should arrive in august-september. I heard your clips and loved the sound. Now I can't wait to get it, I'm sure it will be beautiful.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Thanks for the clarification, Mick. I agree with your assessment. I was too brief. I was speaking relatively as you said. The Rose is definitely not a recorder, but compared to other wood whistles I've tried, most approximates a certain recorderish tone. It's definitely a very nice looking whistle. One question for you, Mick. Do you have a problem with squeaking in the upper octave? It seemed to have a delicate response to breath pressure. I did not have a chance to get used to the whistle. (I am honking and whuffing less each day on the Copeland low D:)
Tony
Mick Woodruff

Post by Mick Woodruff »

Well, Tony, I find that it takes me several months to learn about all the little idosyncrasies of a whistle, and to really appreciate all of its strengths and weaknesses...and I'm still working at it with the Rose. <P>I can't honestly say I've had any real problems with squeaking in the upper register; it seems to behave itself quite well for me. :wink: One thing I am having difficulty with is consistently producing a clean roll on the upper octave A...but A rolls have always caused me trouble, no matter which whistle - or which octave! I can't really blame the whistle, because as we all know, it is a poor workman who blames his tools for a less than satisfactory job. :wink:<P>Mick.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mick Woodruff on 2001-07-06 13:59 ]</font>