What are arpeggios?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
vanessa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What are arpeggios?

Post by vanessa »

Hi :) ,

I decided to start a new post since I didn't want to hijack jim stones thread on arpeggios, yet it is that very post which prompted me to ask this question which I'm sure sounds ridiculous to those who understand music :oops: .

Well, the thing with me is that I'm still very much a beginner hence I still know very little musical theory and so far I never came across the word 'arpeggios' before :boggle: . I did a google search but didn't find anything useful :sniffle: , so since whatever 'arpeggios' are seem to be good for developing finger dexterity and muscles it is something that I would be interested in practising but I'm clueless as to what it is that might be good for me to practice... :o :o :o

... so I'm wondering if there is anyone on this board who wouldn't mind explaining in simple terms what arpreggios are, and tell me if for example there are charts and written excercises out there I can look at and practice these mystery arpreggios, and does anyone know of any useful links related to this topic - links where the language is kept fairly simple so I can understand it.

So, thank you very much for putting up with this rather clueless and silly question :oops: ,

Vanessa
Loren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

An arpeggio is simply the notes of a chord played one at a time, typically in an asending or desending pattern, as opposed to playing the chord notes all at once.

Arpeggiated chords in Ir Trad music, on non-chording instruments like flute and whistle, are quite common.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Well, I barely understand this myself, very little theory here.
But I think it's this (corrections, elaborations welcome).

A chord is made of notes that are sounded simultaneously.
e.g. a G chord or a D chord or an A minor.

An Arpeggio consists in the notes in the chord arranged
serially, so that they played one after the other.
There is a multitude of patterns in which the notes
could be arranged--these are arpeggios.

Musicians and singers often practice arpeggios to
develop precision and desterity. Also lots of tunes
are made up largely or partly of arpeggios, so
one gets a better intuitive understanding of
tunes and keys, can improvise better, and so on.

That's what I think they are, anyway. Folk musicians
may not be much interested in this sort of practice,
but it is said that this practice on the flute
helps dexterity, etc.
Last edited by jim stone on Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Some arpeggios:

D: D F# A d f# a d'
Em: E G B e g b
G: D G B d g b d'
A: E A c# e a c#'
Am: E A c e a c'
Bm: D F# B d f# b d'
C: E G c e g c'
D7: D F# A c d f# a c'
A7: E G A c# e g a c#'

Please correct me if any of these are incorrect.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

My instructor described a song like a para
graph. The changes from one chord to an
other often signified what would be like an
end of a sentence . Breathing in the middle
of an arpeggio was like breathing in the mid
dle of saying a word.

He explained it much better though.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

One of the practical benefits of knowing where the arpeggiated chords fall on your instrument, for a given key, is that it can greatly help with regards to learning new tunes by ear, and on the fly - Something I'm still working on, to be sure.

Since single note sounding instruments cannot play chords, they typically arpeggiate chords, particularly in "Folk" music like Ir Trad. What you don't hear much in folk music are lots of scale runs, but you constantly hear chords arpeggiated.

So, if you know what key a tune is in, then you know what chords fall within that key, and if you learned your arpeggios, then you know what movements are going to be likely on your instrument. That's sort of the cerebral, more "classical" mentality of it.

The flipside, for us "Folkies" and "Tradders" is that if you learn your arpeggios for the basic keys of Ir Trad, or whatever music you play, then when you hear a particular progression, or series of progressions in a tune, you will immediately know where those notes fall on your instrument, how to play that movement, and you will likely know what key the tune is in quite quickly, all of which make learning a new tune a MUCH quicker and easier process.

As for dexterity, sure, any repetitive motion helps with that, and precision when practicing arpeggios is certainly important, but the main benefits are not dextrous in nature, but rather musical in nature.
Last edited by Loren on Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

The Bill Hart book contains a number of what he
calls 'Broken Chords,' which involve a good deal
of jumping around within the notes of a chord.

So in D:

F# D A D

A F# D F#

F# D F# A

F# A F# D

Lots of these. I don't know whether these are 'arpeggios.'
Anyhow they certainly seem to teach
dexterity.

Obviously these can be played with some notes in
the second octave. Various options.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I don't know what music school you people went to, but where I went to school, an "archipelago" was an expanse of water with many scattered islands. Nothing to do with music, at all. That is probably the reason for the confusion.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Doug_Tipple wrote:I don't know what music school you people went to, but where I went to school, an "archipelago" was an expanse of water with many scattered islands. Nothing to do with music, at all. That is probably the reason for the confusion.
Yes, i went to that school, too.
We called the teacher of 'archipelagos'
'Mr. Tortoise,' because he taught us.

(stolen from Lewis Carroll)
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Trivia Update:

The term "arpeggio" derives from the Italian wod for harp - arpa. So, to arpeggiate means to play in a harp-like manner.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

don't feel inadequate about your musical theory. at one point, i was in a folk group where everyone but me had extensive musical training. but none of them could communicate with each other regarding each other's instruments or transposing or singing or how to re-arrange a song to meet our group's needs. seeing as how i was the person who cajoled most of the folks to join the group, i felt responsible to learn how to speak everyone's language and to double check that everyone was in the right key and using the right music. i'm not meaning to brag, i just want to point out that extensive musical training isn't everything we imagine it to be and even folks with extensive musical training can have some major gaps in their knowledge.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

The Arpeggios are a family in Venice, renowned for their financial savvy and support of the arts during the Renaissance.

Dave
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
vanessa

Post by vanessa »

Thanks a million, everyone :) - the explanations were most helpful and thanks Father Emmet for writing out some of the arpeggios and to jimstone for sharing some of the arpeggio excercises; also I found it most interesting that the word derives from the Italian for harp.

Vanessa

PS Not sure though how to do the 'Venetian Gondola' or 'big lake' excercises on my flute :boggle:
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Just to add my impression that these exercises
really help--a little goes a long way, IMO.
Which isn't to say one should do them only
a little...
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

In simple terms on a whistle, you can assume that if you're playing a sequence of every other note for three or more notes, you are playing an arpeggio--that is, outlinig a chord.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis