Girl escapes eight year kidnap ordeal

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
flanum
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Girl escapes eight year kidnap ordeal

Post by flanum »

Not sure if this should be in the political forum?

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=2351466

http://www.gulfnews.com/world/Austria/10062390.html

What an an unbelivable story.
The poor girl, poor family!
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
djm

Post by djm »

I saw that this morning too. What really freaks me out is that I had my house rewired a couple of years ago by a Hungarian electrician. What do I need to know? :o

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
flanum
Location: Cavan via Dublin, Skerries, Donabate, Ballinagh, Cavan, Ballyconnell, Ballinamore, Athlone, Cavan,

Post by flanum »

Jeez cant believe nobody picked up on this and thought it was abso;utely mental!!!!!! whats wrong with you people?
Listen to me young fellow, what need is there for fish to sing when i can roar and bellow?
Lambchop
antispam: No

Post by Lambchop »

The perpetrator, clearly, was a nut. I feel very badly for the poor girl.
djm

Post by djm »

I thought throwing himself in front of a train was a bit much. :really:

djm
flanum

Post by flanum »

djm wrote:I thought throwing himself in front of a train was a bit much. :really:

djm
There isnt an emoticon to express my response! i take it that that was some mild form of sarcasm?
flanum

Post by flanum »

Jeez, im startin to sound like a certain C&F member that rhymes with "Banberry fayre" (without the fayre bit!)!
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'm not sure why you, in your first post, thought this story should possibly be in the political forum, so perhaps I'm not understanding something.

I am sure that everyone who reads about this crime thinks it is terrible. You can just assume that. Only a really sick person would not think so.

Most people probably think that, since they cannot say anything that will help the woman and her family or will prevent such a crime from happening again, there is not much point in stating the obvious which would be "Oh, that is so terrible. It is really horrifying."

Unless a person is a criminologist or forensic psychologist or the like, discussing the details of something so awful doesn't seem very worthwhile when you can't help anyone by talking about it.

I don't think you should take the lack of response as an indication that people are cold-hearted. Believe me, they think it is terrible for the woman and her family and that the man was clearly insane, but they, like me, don't have any further comments about it worth posting. What can you really say about something like this beyond the obvious?

I know sometimes something will hit me especially hard and other people don't seem to take it the same way I do. I imagine that happens to everyone. So maybe this story is affecting you in some special way that other people just aren't experiencing. They all think it is terrible, of course, but maybe the story is saying something to you that it isn't saying to everyone else. I don't know, it's just a thought.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
djm

Post by djm »

flanum wrote:There isnt an emoticon to express my response! i take it that that was some mild form of sarcasm?
Perhaps you have difficulty communicating your feelings? I think that if this guy had lived he would have gotten either a slap-on-the-wrist prison sentence or a life-time nuthouse prescription but either way in three or four years, someone would get him to write a book about it and everyone would be horrified that he wrote a book about it but everyone would buy the book too and he would get quite rich from it and become a bit of a minor celebrity showing up on talk shows and university lecture tours and maybe get his photo taken with Bono or somebody famous and everyone would pay lip-service to how horrible what he did was but they'd still pay a load o' cash to go and see him and hear him speak and of course all the big American networks would want to have him on cuz they gotta keep them ratings up and eventually some other nutjob would try to wax his sick ass just to get on the six o'clock news and all this would make the meaning of the original crime kinda get lost in the noise. Dontcha think? :D

djm
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

djm wrote:
flanum wrote:There isnt an emoticon to express my response! i take it that that was some mild form of sarcasm?
Perhaps you have difficulty communicating your feelings? I think that if this guy had lived he would have gotten either a slap-on-the-wrist prison sentence or a life-time nuthouse prescription but either way in three or four years, someone would get him to write a book about it and everyone would be horrified that he wrote a book about it but everyone would buy the book too and he would get quite rich from it and become a bit of a minor celebrity showing up on talk shows and university lecture tours and maybe get his photo taken with Bono or somebody famous and everyone would pay lip-service to how horrible what he did was but they'd still pay a load o' cash to go and see him and hear him speak and of course all the big American networks would want to have him on cuz they gotta keep them ratings up and eventually some other nutjob would try to wax his sick ass just to get on the six o'clock news and all this would make the meaning of the original crime kinda get lost in the noise. Dontcha think? :D

djm

The horror of it all was probably what drove him to throw himself under the train.

I'm glad she was able to get out, and I wonder if this sort of thing doesn't happen more often than we think.
Coffee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Coffee »

There's a lot of sick, sick people out there. It's stories like this that make it difficult for me to keep my faith in humanity from being a negative number, if it could be expressed numerically.
"Yes... yes. This is a fertile land, and we will thrive. We will rule over all this land, and we will call it... This Land."
djm

Post by djm »

Lambchop wrote:The horror of it all was probably what drove him to throw himself under the train.
Sorry, but I doubt it. The fact that she had escaped, and that he was about to be nicked would, I suspect, have been the more likely reason for him to choose the quick way out. Isn't capturing and enslaving someone to your will a sort of "quick way out" versus having to deal with another person in a real, caring, equal relationship?

djm
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

djm wrote:

djm
I'm trying to square the above with the post to which flanum's quote was directed in response, speaking of things getting "lost in the noise".

But I don't know enough of the Austrian penal code to say that you're right or wrong, in any case. You do, I take it?
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Cynth is right. This is just so far beyond any frame of reference I have nothing to say but the obvious.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Cofaidh wrote:There's a lot of sick, sick people out there. It's stories like this that make it difficult for me to keep my faith in humanity from being a negative number, if it could be expressed numerically.
There are very few truly "sick" people committing these crimes; 95% know exactly what they are doing.
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown