after the first whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tommy
antispam: No

after the first whistle

Post by Tommy »

Making a list of those that only have one whistle would not be very long.
So just how long a time, or short was it before you started buying the rest of your whistles? Do you see an end in sight?
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
whistlin'fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by whistlin'fool »

i purchased my first whistle from whistle and drum online, but couldn't wait for it to show up and went to my local music shop and was surprised to find that they had a feadog. So of course i purchased it, and two weeks later my clarke original showed up, but i found out that i liked the feadog more. Since then it's been about a new whistle every two months, and they keep getting more and more expensive. My last purchase was a Burke DASBT which i think is by far my favorite whistle to date. :D (Oh and i ordered a Busman whistle two months ago in cocobolo which should be ready in the next month. If it's better than my burke i'm going to be the happiest man alive :) )
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

When I bought my first Generation D long, long ago (ahem) I decided to buy one for my friend as well about a week later. When I came back to the music shop I saw the rack of all the keys Gen makes and had to have a C to compliment my D.

And then I needed an Clarke...and then I needed a Waltons...and then I needed an Oak...and then I needed lots more cheapies...and then I needed some high end whistles...
stefano

Post by stefano »

I bought my first whistle many year ago. an original Clarke, unpainted. I didn't know it was a whistle: I thought it was just a recorder made of metal!

I tried to play it using the same fingering of a recorder, and of course it was not working. So I decided that it was a bad recoderd, which I would not be afraid to destroy, and I brought it with me in "dangerous" places, like my backpack when I am climbing or hiking on a mountain. Many years later some friends of mine brought me another tin whistle, hand made in the USA. "Damn, I thought, another bad recorder!".

Then two months ago I found a website called 'chiffandfipple'...... :D
jkrazy52

Post by jkrazy52 »

First, second and third whistles all came in the same package from The Whistle Shop. I had WhOA before I even knew there was such a thing! :)

Judy
Screeeech!!!

Post by Screeeech!!! »

I got a b flat Gen in 96 and it put me off whistles for life. It sat in the bottom of my guitar amp, unplayed, until i sold it in November 2004 for £3 on eBay.

Then in December 2004 i picked up a cheap wooden whistle from eBay for £1.99, made in an Afgan refugee camp that with a little work is an incredibly beautiful and easy playing whistle that catapulted me into really loving playing whistle. Once i got the whistle bug though it was only a couple of weeks before i bought another, and another and another.

I'm sure you know the story of WhOA. :lol:

Anyway's, latest orders are a yew wood Weston, which Simon is looking for some nice yew wood for. And i'm just about to buy a Blackwood Bleazey as well.

I also have a big list of whistles i'd like in the future.

WhOA is me. But it's far cheaper and a lot more fun than stamp collecting (not that i know anything about stamp collecting). :D

?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

my first whistle was a clarke sweettone. i played that for about three months til i got the hang of it. then i attempted to play the whistle with the church folk group but was horribly out of tune. then i bought a tunable susato D which has an awesome sound in my church. then before christmas, i bought a tunable dixon C and a clare 2 piece. then i bought a cheap bamboo low D.......and then.....and then.....my last purchase was a hall crystal D about 9 months ago. i'm not allowed to buy any more whistles, flutes, or musical instruments in general, without written permission from my wife. just this last week, her electric keyboard started having problems. if this turns into a serious problem, we'll have to get her a new keyboard. if we're ordering that, we might as well tack on a couple of whistles in different keys. they're practically free when postage doesn't have to be taken into consideration.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I don't recall why or how, but I started reading Chiff and Fipple and this forum one day - so I had to buy a whistle.

My first was a Freeman Tweaked Clarke Sweetone. Then about three months later came a Freeman tweaked Shaw.

Then I was newly divorced and hid for a while and bought and played whistles (lots of Aires - hehe). Then I sold a bunch.

Now there are two whistle makers that I prefer above the others by a large degree. I buy one new (or used if I find a good deal) whistle every few months perhaps. I buy them to fill out keys I don't yet have from the two makers I prefer.

When I retire I'll start buying simple system flutes. haha!
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I actually played a Clarke Original for about two years because that was all the local music store carried. When I got really into it I bought a second and third one to stash in my car and my then girlfriend's house. I had no idea that so many whistles existed and never thought to use the internet to expand my horizons. I had no idea that so many people in the world played the whistle and I had certainly never met anyone else who played in my city. I was about two or three years into my whistling before I knew that there were other options... I guess I was happy enough with my little Clarke so I never went looking for anything else. Since then I've been a victim of WhOA and have no desire to rehabilitate :D
AngeloMeola
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I haven't been active on the site for years. I'm busy raising grandkids so I don't get out to play much.

Post by AngeloMeola »

I got an Oak in 1982 and used it for 15 years before getting another whistle. I got a few as gifts and then opted for a Sindt. Since I half hole the C natural anyway, it has no flaws that concern me. I still have the Oak and play it occasionally.

Angelo
Eat well, drink well, laugh loud and often.
AR

Post by AR »

I have only the one whistle! A clarke sweetone in D. I really only got it because it was cool for only £2.99, and in black it looked a bit like a mini clarinet! Little did I know how much time I would spend on a seemingly impulse purchase. Although I haven't got one, I must say some of the high end whistles look amazing.
Always beaten, never outdone
walrii

Re: after the first whistle

Post by walrii »

Tommy wrote:Do you see an end in sight?
<Loud guffawing, belly laughs and bent-double hyena howls fading slowly into weak snickering with an occassional loud nose snort>
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Tommy

Re: after the first whistle

Post by Tommy »

walrii wrote:
Tommy wrote:Do you see an end in sight?
<Loud guffawing, belly laughs and bent-double hyena howls fading slowly into weak snickering with an occassional loud nose snort>
Now that you mention it. I suppose that is a ridicules :o question. But if it brings laughter :lol: that is a good and healthy thing to share. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I started out purchasing a handful of Generations, way back in the late 70's ... a Bb, a C, a D, an Eb, a high G, and very shortly added two Camacs: a low G and a low A. I still have all but the D (can't figure out what happened to it). I now have an obscene number ... at least given my financial status. :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
riverman

Post by riverman »

One year ago in July: My daughter buys me an Irish whistle starter kit by Waltons.

A few weeks later: Cat and family in torment from buzzy Walton's sound.

I look for a new whistle and think, "Those Clarke originals look different!"
I happily play Clarke original.

About six months later: Lungs collapse from playing Clarke.

After weeks of serious whistle review reading: I order a Burke brass session.
About a month ago: Someone GIVES me a Syn C/D set!
I am happy!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.