Secret to that Haunting Low D Sound?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
nodak
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Secret to that Haunting Low D Sound?

Post by nodak »

OK, here I sit with an Overton Low D and Burke Viper, ready to blurt out that revered haunting sound. The instruments do not produce it by themselves, I've noticed. What's the secret or method to producing that haunting tone? No fair pointing out that I'm a newbie.
Wes
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Reverb and/or echo is probably what you're looking for.
I add it to my recordings with editing software, but it could also be done live with the proper equipment.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
dfernandez77
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Part of that sound is processing, and part of it can be your environment. If you play in a large and reflective room, that may help.

Burke Viper is like a brassy french horn. Nice Whistle and an easy player for a Low D - but not a haunting whistle.

The Overton will get you closer. But you need to put some time into learning how to use your breath, Try leaning into the backpressure and backing off, bending the note. Play some long sustained notes bending it up and down in tone. Try to get expression into the note with just your breath.

Or, buy a Reyburn.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Roger O'Keeffe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Roger O'Keeffe »

Yes, I had a feeling that my current favourite topic backpressure :o would show up in this thread.
An Pluiméir Ceolmhar
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

dfernandez77 wrote:Part of that sound is processing, and part of it can be your environment. If you play in a large and reflective room, that may help.
You might want to play them in the bathroom. I found that ideal for my Copeland low-D.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Re: Secret to that Haunting Low D Sound?

Post by Loren »

nodak wrote:OK, here I sit with an Overton Low D and Burke Viper, ready to blurt out that revered haunting sound. The instruments do not produce it by themselves, I've noticed. What's the secret or method to producing that haunting tone?

Ah yes, well, you do have to put the beak into your mouth and blow......

:wink:

Loren
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Re: Secret to that Haunting Low D Sound?

Post by IDAwHOa »

nodak wrote:OK, here I sit with an Overton Low D ...., ready to blurt out that revered haunting sound. The instruments do not produce it
Well, yours must be broken..... :o

No, really, mine has a nice, mello sound. Maybe not as reverbed as on some recordings, but I like the way it contrasts the higher whistles, even as close as low f.
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
Tony McGinley

Post by Tony McGinley »

Reverb is the extra ingredient indeed!
Most small mixers these days have a
built-in reverb, Behringer, Mackie etc.

A lovely place to play at home is in the kitchen,
because there are so many hard reflective
surfaces.

Best place of all is in an empty church, lovely
long reverb and rich acoustic.
Tony McGinley

<i><b>"The well-being of mankind,
its peace and security,
are unattainable unless and until
its unity is firmly established."
<i><b>
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

I like to use stairwells at hotels when traveling. I get some practice time in without disturbing anyone (usually) and the reverb tends to sound good to people if some of the sound does leak out.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

NODAK...
Many great suggestions here.
In addition to the externals, like electronic reverb gear and echo-chamber environments...there is a lot you can work on with just you and the whistle. Breath modulation is a big part of it...and can go in many directions. Pushing it and backing off, as well as varying "vibrato" effects...(from tightly-woven to wide wale Barry Gibb to old-school finger waving.)
Another area to play with is the gradual covering and uncovering of the holes. "Bending." Both ascending and descending. Try these slowly...and with varying breathing. Listen to what top low whistlers are doing with these techniques. HAUNTING!!!
Keep at it. Get yourself in the "mood." It's a kick to catch on to this stuff! The Viper isn't as "naturally cosmically haunting" as the Overton...but with practice it can make very beautiful melody.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Second using finger vibrato; also bending notes
and diminishing breath as notes end. Also
slides.
riverman

Post by riverman »

Second floor of a three-level parking garage.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
markbell

Post by markbell »

I play a Chieftain low D (old style). It has a very warm tone, and lots of expressive range, but when I first got it, it took me a while to learn how to make the whistle as emotive as I wanted.

Blessings,

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
phoebe

Post by phoebe »

The main room of our camp in Canada--two stories of tongue-and groove walls, a hard wood floor, and big window. It sounds lovely.
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

The Kerry Songbird is the only whistle I have found, so far, to have warmth and moodiness built into the whistle. Great for airs. Not as versatile as the Chieftains or Kerry Pros for faster songs or tunes.

Practice slides and dont overblow for volume. Practice sneaking up on notes.
<a href="http://www.whistletotheworld.com/" target="_blank"> Whistle to the World</a>
Helping underprivileged kids learn music via the Irish Whistle.