OK...this was kind of weird!

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

OK...this was kind of weird!

Post by Redwolf »

I answered the doorbell today to find a sheriff's deputy on my doorstep! My first thought was "Oh my God...something horrible's happened!" (you know how, on TV, when someone is suddenly killed they often send police to notify the family?). Fortunately, it wasn't anything like that! Instead, he showed me a picture of my next-door neighbor (which looked like it had been printed off a webpage) and asked if he lived in the area! I must have looked a bit shocked, because he quickly assured me that my neighbor isn't in any trouble (though he didn't tell me why he needed to know where he lives). I told him that yes...that person lives next door (indicating the house) and, in response to his further questions, told him that he's usually home in the evenings and that he parks on the street across from my house. When he left, he spent quite a lot of time down on the street by his cruiser, apparently doing some paperwork.

I was a bit freaked out by the whole thing, to be honest. Now, having calmed down a bit, I'm guessing that the deputy was acting as a process server, but I have to say my first, concerned-parent reaction was to check the Megan's Law website (don't worry...he's not there!). I sure hope my neighbors AREN'T in trouble...they're the first really good neighbors we've had in that house since we moved here seven years ago!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Father Emmet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Father Emmet »

Maybe he wasn't a real deputy.
missy

Post by missy »

see Red - difference between me and you......

I have officers at our house all the time, have them wave at me driving past, etc. Of course, with our doing COP, CPOP and Court Watch, we know a lot of officers personally.
I don't think a thing about it! In fact, I'll tease them if I've not seen one of them in several weeks!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

I learned long long ago not to tell police officers anything about neighbors unless they have a warrant or you are in court or something. Those neighbors can end up being some whacked up mofos who will later on try to have you killed.
lenf

Post by lenf »

Cranberry wrote:I learned long long ago not to tell police officers anything about neighbors unless they have a warrant or you are in court or something. Those neighbors can end up being some whacked up mofos who will later on try to have you killed.
Well, that shows a great deal of community pride and concern. Also, one should carefully step around anyone lying on the sidewalk clutching their chest. Screams of "Help! Help!" should not only be ignored, but masked by whistling old songs very loudly.

Of course, eventually the approach escalates into who can put up the thickest iron bars over the windows, but that can be charming as well.
"Clapham, like all cities, is built over a volcano." G.K. Chesterton
missy

Post by missy »

Cran - I do understand your concerns.

However, I refuse to be intimidated by others, and I refuse to turn my neighborhood over to perps. So far, all we've had to deal with is verbal threats - and the one time we were walking and it began to become more, we wound up with 8 squad cars in less than 5 minutes (one in less than 10 seconds, because we didn't know he was right around the corner - he heard our call on the radio, and came before the dispatcher asked). Four arrests were made from that (unfortunately, as I've stated on another thread - arrests does not mean conviction and jail time here).

I have lived across from people that had all kinds of stuff happening, such as drive by shootings - we're going to court on Monday to see if she FINALLY gets convicted on some of the stuff she's pulled (this time, it's witness intimidation and bribery). Her son - who shot someone and robbed them - is due for trial mid-September. Unfortunately, I don't think the witness is going to show up, so he'll probably get off.

But I don't let fear of retaliation stop me.
Missy

WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I used to live in an apartment building across the way from an older guy who had people coming and going all hours. Construction worker, not a lot of personality, not the type you'd really expect to be a socialite or spiritual leader or marriage councilor or whatever...odd, but not my concern--I try to make friends with the neighbors, but if they want to keep to themselves I'm happy to let them.

So one day the land lady asked me if I'd seen him, and asked me to tell him she needed to talk to him. She seemed urgent. The day after that, he moved out. The day after THAT, the cops were there looking for him.

I left those particular apartments soon after--I hear that living next door to a meth lab can be unhealthy.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Cranberry wrote:I learned long long ago not to tell police officers anything about neighbors unless they have a warrant or you are in court or something. Those neighbors can end up being some whacked up mofos who will later on try to have you killed.
And it's people like you who make neighborhoods so safe and secure!

I'll stick with helping the good guys, thanks. I'm nobody's doormat.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Redwolf wrote:
And it's people like you who make neighborhoods so safe and secure!

I'll stick with helping the good guys, thanks. I'm nobody's doormat.

Redwolf
Giving in to the Man IS being a doormat. I thought you California people had that down pat. :lol: :lol:

All joking aside, I think one should consider the source. I mean if it's my best friend then I'm going to tell the cops nothing and warn my friend to get the heck out of dodge. If they are a @#$@#hole then I'll squeal like a pig.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

We have deputies, US Marshalls, etc in the post office a lot. I tell them anything I can to help them do their job.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

I'd be a bit taken aback, to be sure, if the same thing happened to me and I would do just like you, tell the truth. I'm sure your involvement is at an end and your guess about why the policeman needed the information sounds very plausible. I guess if I felt my life would be in danger if I spoke to the policeman I would tell him that and maybe we could arrange some other meeting place. But wouldn't the crooks assume you talked if they saw the policeman on your doorstep? Okay, I don't need to worry about this.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

The Police are
a) subject to terrible temptations
b) offered wonderful opportunities.

Here in bosky Buckinghamshire we are under-policed. In my particular village there is a "social precipice" on the main road. On the South side of the road, the people are "aspiring middle-class". On the North side of the road there is a council estate. I have friends in the Council Estate. I hear stories of Police Brutality and Police behaviour I find hard (on hearsay) to understand, never mind explain or even believe. On the south side of the road the same stories provoke reactions of moral indignation in defence of the Police.

I would not like to Police our area. (Either side of the road.) But if the Police came looking for someone, I would probably point them out, if I knew them - and some individuals I would point out a great deal more quickly. But I would take a note of the Policeman's number and possibly their car number, and check where I could.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

Sometimes this stuff can pose a real moral dilemma. For example, let's say there was a double-knifing incident near here. I know the neighbouhood where this happened. A local bunch of wannabe gangbangers caught up with an idiot who thought he would make himself look cool by announcing (and demonstrating) that he had a bunch of grass and ecstasy caps on him. The gangbangers went after him to relieve him of his precious cargo (these are all kids in their mid-teens). They surrounded the fool and started stabbing him. A passerby saw the knifing take place and tried to stop it. He got stabbed a ridiculous number of times for his trouble, but none of these were life-threatening. The two stabbees ar recovering in hospital.

Okay, so here's the rub. I know who the very few people are who saw the whole incident. I know, or can find out the names of those involved. Those involved know who saw it all, too. If I reveal anything to the police, those who saw all will be targeted (not a question, a definite) even though they were not the ones who told the police. The likelihood that the witnesses will be seriously hurt is guaranteed. Am I right to keep silent and protect the those witnesses?

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Father Emmet

Post by Father Emmet »

Bear in mind that you will have to deal with your neighbors long after the police are gone. It's probably best to answer any direct questions, but not volunteer info not requested.

Edit- This is not a response to the above post.
missy

Post by missy »

djm wrote: Am I right to keep silent and protect the those witnesses?

djm
the problem is how likely is this a one time occurance? Will these perps stop now, or will someone else soon feel their wrath? And will the next person(s) be as "lucky" as these two and live, or will the next die?
If I knew something, and didn't tell, and someone then later dies, I'd feel horrible. In fact, I've been saying for 17 years that a particular person either will kill someone or be killed - and I've worked with the police on numerous occasions to try and get him put away for good. Next court date is early September, and I pray that this time he gets convicted of the maximum.

Does Canada have "Crimestoppers"? It's a number one calls and remains anon. (actually, they just implimented a proceedure to put tips in over the internet, too). I understand the concern that someone may be "thought" of as being the rat, but if there's a program in place such as Crimestoppers, one never knows how the information got to the police.
Missy