I don't think this violates board policies

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

I don't think this violates board policies

Post by FJohnSharp »

If you're 50 and haven't had a colonoscopy, why not?

Also, guys, Prostate, Prostate, Prostate.

I say this cause I care.
"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
(The people’s spirit is raised through culture)

Suburban Symphony
The Weekenders
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by The Weekenders »

not a violation, just an icky topic.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

Methinks you doth prostate too much...
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Colonoscopies don't hurt a bit. It's the day before I don't like.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Exactly

Suburban Symphony
hyldemoer

Re: I don't think this violates board policies

Post by hyldemoer »

FJohnSharp wrote:If you're 50 and haven't had a colonoscopy, why not?
Lack of health insurance?

Honestly, costs aside, the hardest part of of the procedure is the cleaning out before hand.
Do not flavor the clean out kit with "kool-aid". That stuff stains your innards in fluorescent colors and makes the test difficult to interpret.

The drugs they give you to keep you calm and comfortable during a colonoscopy are well worth the hassle.
Its a pity they don't give you some extra of that Rx to take home with you if you've been a good patient.

They do give you some cool pictures to take home and post on your web site
or show the folks you work with (so they'll leave you alone for a couple days).
FJohnSharp wrote: Also, guys, Prostate, Prostate, Prostate.

I say this cause I care.
If you've got cancer, knowing that you have it is probably the only way you can either get rid of it or at least buy more time.
If you don't have cancer, you don't have to live with the thought hanging over your head like a sword.
djm

Post by djm »

FlyingC wrote:It's the day before I don't like.
Why? What happens the day before?

Can't get them things here without a family doctor. Can't get no family doctor here.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

On the day before you stop eating and take beaucoup laxatives to clean out the system. Clear liquids only. Gatorade is required. You need to plan to stay at home on the day before.

Suburban Symphony
FJohnSharp

Post by FJohnSharp »

hyldemoer wrote:
Lack of health insurance? .
This is a good answer, unfortunately.
Last edited by FJohnSharp on Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Suburban Symphony
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

FJohnSharp wrote:On the day before you stop eating and take beaucoup laxatives to clean out the system. Clear liquids only. Gatorade is required. You need to plan to stay at home on the day before.

I've heard of other family members planning on leaving.

It's not just laxatives. It's more like a gallon of toxic liquid that just . . . well, the best description I've ever heard was "blew the toilet into the cellar."
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Also, guys, Prostate, Prostate, Prostate.

I say this cause I care.
Apropos prostate. I'm 55 and I have a good stream, helped in no small measure by my consumption of Doom Bar. :D

Apropos colonoscopy. If you're of delicate disposition, stop reading now. About 20 years ago I was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome. The diagnosis was rubbish as it turned out, but that isn't important right now. The doc decided that, to be on the safe side, I ought to have a barium enema and X-ray. Now I know this isn't quite the same as a colonoscopy, but it still entails having a tube stuck up your bee tee emm. In this case, a white fluid in copious amounts is pumped thereup. No sweat there (don't get me wrong - I'm not telling you it was pleasurable. Mind you... :wink: ). Just a couple of less savoury aspects, however. First, they insisted that I took off all my clothes and put on this hospital gown. Now I'm not a small chap, and this one-size-fits-all garment was - how shall I say - scarcely man enough for the job. It sort of tied up round the back, which I found awkward to do, and it became clear that, no matter how efficacious my knotting procedure was, my bare arse would be sticking out. Down, girls! I swanned around for about two hours, being shepherded from one waiting area to another, with my arse showing for all to see (and, believe me, Sod's Law dictated that there were lots of people around). Second, the aftermath. You've had this stuff pumped up your nether regions and had your X-ray. Now you have to restore your sorely-abused bowel to normal. The idea was that you sat on the lav till you'd ridded yourself of all the fluid. Well, what a bloody laugh. I broke the world record, absolutely no question, for the longest f@rt in history. On and on it went, forty continuous seconds I swear. I just sat there laughing for at least five minutes before I could compose myself sufficiently to come out of that cubicle and face the world.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
missy

Post by missy »

we refer to this as Tom's "photo opportunities".

Tom's mother died of colon cancer at age 59, so he started being checked about 5 years ago. They've removed some polyps, luckily only "pre" cancerous so far, and last time was totally clean.
His doctor "shared" with me pictures of the tattoos.... WAY too much information there, doc!

My dad also died of colon cancer that mastisized (sp?) to liver, lungs and spine. His was a totally different kind of cancer than what Tom's mom had, and probably not genetic but environmental based.

I'll start on the lovely photo trail in a year or two.....
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Lambchop wrote:
FJohnSharp wrote:On the day before you stop eating and take beaucoup laxatives to clean out the system. Clear liquids only. Gatorade is required. You need to plan to stay at home on the day before.

I've heard of other family members planning on leaving.

It's not just laxatives. It's more like a gallon of toxic liquid that just . . . well, the best description I've ever heard was "blew the toilet into the cellar."
Aw, its not that bad!
Its not that bad at all.
I have a condition that necessitates me getting a Colonoscopy every other year, sometimes more often. Over the past 15 years the methods of cleaning out have varied.

Towards the end of the treatment all that comes out is a smell-less clear liquid.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Flyingcursor wrote:Colonoscopies don't hurt a bit. It's the day before I don't like.
Even that is WAY exaggerated. The peace of mind that comes from a clean bill of health far exceeds a bit of temporary intestinal discomfort.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
MarkS

Post by MarkS »

Even if you are under 50 and have any symptoms, I urge you please, please to get checked out!

I'm 47, and proof that colonoscopy can save lives. Early this year I had some symptoms (I'll spare you the icky details), the doc sent me to get 'scoped, and I was diagnosed with a Stage II (or Duke's B) colon cancer. Gave up over a foot of large intestine to the surgeon in April, and am almost halfway through the adjuvant chemotherapy regimen. Once chemo is done, the five year survival stats are near 90%.

Had I done the "typical guy thing" and ignored the symptoms, in another six months the cancer would likely have gotten into the lymph system.

The minor unpleasantness of a day's fasting and purging are well worth either the peace of mind or the early diagnosis.
Cheers,
Mark

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
Bill Watterson, Calvin and Hobbes