Another Newbie On Board

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tornassuk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Another Newbie On Board

Post by Tornassuk »

Hi All,

Just wanted to say hi :)

I am new to playing the whistle (I play Native American flute), and I am greatly enjoying the word of whistles (although I must admit playing a whistle is quite challenging). Up until now I've been playing a Sweetheart Pro D (a gift for my birthday) but have a Tuneable Kerry Songbird Low D in the mail as I write this and I can't wait for it to arrive. (I hope using the piper's grip that I can make the reach for the Low D -- we'll see).

I found that it hasn't taken long to develop a SERIOUS case of WHOA!!! I've also become addicted to reading Chiff and Fipple and am learning a lot from you all while having fun as well.

--Deb
A day full of possibilities. It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy . . . Let's go exploring.

Calvin from Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Well hey, Tornassuk! It's nice to hear from you. Yes, I would have to agree that playing the whistle is challenging! I've been a beginner for a long time :lol:! I'm sure you'll be able to play your low D. It might take some fooling around, but if others can do it, so can you. Of course, I've never tried one :lol: . Good wishes!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
King Friday

Post by King Friday »

Sweethearts seem to be pretty popular as birthday presents these days
Doc Jones
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Welcome aboard Deb! :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

King Friday wrote:Sweethearts seem to be pretty popular as birthday presents these days
Sure are! In fact, that's what I bought myself for mine back in May. Great whistle! Can't wait for the Resonance low-D tour to reach me!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
lenf

Re: Another Newbie On Board

Post by lenf »

Tornassuk wrote:I've also become addicted to reading Chiff and Fipple and am learning a lot from you all while having fun as well.
Welcome, Deb! No better place to learn about whistles than here, and no better people to learn it from than, uh... :-).

That bear photo... taken 3 miles north of Beeville, right?
"Clapham, like all cities, is built over a volcano." G.K. Chesterton
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hi Deb,

Welcome! Good luck on the Kerry Songbird-piper's grip is the way to go, it just takes a little while to be comfortable with it, so easy does it, and don't give up.

By the way, stop by the Chiff NAF forum and say hello-there's a link at the bottom of my post to it.
~~~~
Barry
Tornassuk

Post by Tornassuk »

Thanks to all for the welcomes!!! I love the friendly atmosphere of this forum.

I appreciate the tip about the NAF forum -- didn't know about it -- Thanks!

And yes, I had such a terrible time dealing with my snowshoes as I slugged my way through dirt and rocks in 100+ heat to find that little patch of snow with the polar bear. (I'm dreaming of cooler weather).
A day full of possibilities. It's a magical world, Hobbes, ol' buddy . . . Let's go exploring.

Calvin from Bill Watterson's Calvin and Hobbes
StewySmoot

Post by StewySmoot »

greenspiderweb wrote:Hi Deb,

Welcome! Good luck on the Kerry Songbird-piper's grip is the way to go, it just takes a little while to be comfortable with it, so easy does it, and don't give up.

By the way, stop by the Chiff NAF forum and say hello-there's a link at the bottom of my post to it.
Welcome and agreed on the piper's grip on the Kerry Songbird, and giving yourself plenty of time with it (as with any other low whistle). But once you are familiar with it, you will find it has an extremely warm sound.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

Sweethearts seem to be pretty popular as birthday presents these days

Heheh, yup! I'm a newbie to the forum, but I'd gotten myself a Sweetheart Pro for my birthday a few weeks ago. I LOVE the sound and feel of it. The voice is awesome.

I play NAF and bamboo flute as well, so it sounds as tho we've got a lot in common.

I'm serioiusly considering a low whistle (likely a D) as my next purchase. I've been trying to learn the 'piper's grip', since I've got small hands and stubby fingers compared to most other men. (drat that genetics! :) )

Welcome to the board...good bunch of folks here who can teach a lot!
Don't give me no chiff, and you won't get no chiff back! :)