Who are we? (a little OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Paul Reid
antispam: No

Post by Paul Reid »

Welsh on my mother's side (nee Preddy, -- Griffiths on GGmother's)

Irish on my Dad's side (lineage from Eaton on GGmother's)

3rd Gen Canadian on Dad's and 2nd gen on Ma's.

PR
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

sweetone
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by sweetone »

I'm as belgian one can be. It's seems unusual here to have your whole family born in one country, well mine did. My ancestors might have been Celts though.
Listen, play and have fun!
Mark_J

Post by Mark_J »

Next thing you know, some of you will try to win a land war in Asia. You just never learn.

As for me. . .

Some significant part of my blood is Irish (came to America during the early years of the famine and they all died in the American Civil War or earlier, only the American born kids survived) which had blood that remained undiluted until one generation before me,

German imigrants ariving in America via Scotland before 1700, which managed to fight in every conflict on the continent and all conflicts with the U.S. Government since that time (With the exception of the Spanish American War). Some how nearly all these soldiers managed to live through the wars.

Austrians,
Swedes,
more Germans,

Jewish Chocolate Merchants from Spain (I'm quite glad the inquisition didn't have time for them),

More locally,
A Creek Indian princess,
and a Delaware Indian princess.

Probably a few other in there that I don't know about yet. Welcome to America.
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I've never done any geneological research, but I have an Irish sounding name, and so do most of my relatives. All the ones I've met were born in America, though. My parents are not very good historians, and neither were my grandparents. None of them would tell the same story the same way twice. It made for an interesting, if somewhat fuzzy view of our family's past.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
tuaz

Post by tuaz »

Mainly Chinese, but:
1. my maternal grandfather was born in Vietnam. His mum was Vietnamese, but we don't know if she was a native Vietnamese or a CHinese from an earlier wave of Chinese settlement of Vietnam.
2. we apparently have Mongolian blood on my father's side from ancient times, since he claims a double/split toenail in the little toe (which he has) is a Mongolian genetic trait. Recorded family history, however, indicates that our ancestors were just Han Chinese living in China up till my grandad left China.

I play all kinds of music, not just Irish, on my whistle; I just like having a portable instrument to adlib on.
TomB

Post by TomB »

A small part Irish, probably some English, larger part French Canadian
Tradgirl

Post by Tradgirl »

Geez™ I dont know where to begin.

Mother's mother: part Blackfoot natives and English and somn else (good Lord knows what else)

Mother's father: I think it was told to me, part Irish. I think that thats all I can claim.

Dad's mother: Lord knows (God rest her soul)

Dad's father: ditto
Jo C

Post by Jo C »

depends how far you go back - Americans seem to have alot more interst in tracing their ancesters back 3-400 years.
Mum's Irish, Dad's 3/4 English (debatable)1/4 Scottish, I'm born and bred in Wales, so I say I'm Welsh. It's easier and explains my accent.
Image Image Image
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

My ancesters are mostly mountain folk stretching back into the early 1700's. They spread all through the appalachians from New Hampshire's (the Allen's of the Green Mountain Fame) to the Smokey's of Tennesee and the Carolina's. We had a fair number of .... 'excentric' folk, including an uncle who worked as a high risk teamster in the 1800's hauling Nitro through the mountains for the mining companies.

It appears most were Scotts, English, Welsh, and Irish or mixes from the Isles that just didn't fit into 17th century England. My dad did some work on you geneology and found that in each generation, you'll find maybe 5 percent imigrant infusion. The records dwindle to nothing in the early 1700's although it is clear that most of them were British Isles folk, but there are few record of any actual imigration, just that they were living in the mountains.

My theory is that these folk that moved into the mountains, did so to break with their past lives. They had worn out their welcome in the British Isles for whatever reason (social, criminal, spiritual, econonomic, political) and sailed to the colonies leaving their old world behind.
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

Father's family is from Missouri through Kansas; mother's family is from Arkansas through Oklahoma. That's all I know, although the prevalence of English, Scottish and Irish surnames indicates a lineage connected to several different flavors of British Isles miscreants.
Blarney Pilgrim

Post by Blarney Pilgrim »

Irish, English, Swiss and Cherokee.

<br>Steve
bassnwhistle

Post by bassnwhistle »

100% Irish..... except for the bits that aren't.
The best thing about Highland Pipes is that the players can't sing at you.
mamakash

Post by mamakash »

My mother is italian. My father is a mix of Irish, Russian, Polish, and German. It makes me, well, no particualer nationality. But I *look* more irish than anything else . . . fair skin, blue eyes, auburn hair. More like my grandfather on my fathers side, and I carry that proudly.
I was subjected to all sorts of tales of my father's irish past as a kid, some true some, well, a little tall. Supposedly, my great great great grandparents(after having some decendents to leave behind) went west and were ambushed and killed by indians. My great great grandfather died like a true irishman . . . in a bar brawl in Hackensack, NJ. They named a street after him - Lawrence Street - which, if you look on a map, you can find. Now, if this street was really named after my great great grandfather, who knows? It's still family ledgend.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

Well, lets see.

My great grandparents along my mothers side (Mothers mothers parents) jumped ship from Denmark to get to here (US).

Along my fathers side my grandmother researched it back, and I branch into the Burlingame lines in England.

Along my mom's side, her dad was John Wilson Laughlin, his dad was John W. Laughlin, and while I have not researched it yet, indications are somewhere in Ireland and/or Scotland as an origin. (I'm named for them, btw...my name is John Wilson Paitel, Aodhan is my dance/performing name).

Aodhan