OT: A quick question about people, their feet, and guns.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-14 23:23, Ridseard wrote:
This seems to me like a diversionary thread, to take the heat off another thread which was becoming unpleasant.
You may be right. Reckon which unpleasant thread it's a diversion from?
Reasonable person
Walden
Kim in Tulsa
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Kim in Tulsa »

On 2002-09-14 23:35, John Allison wrote:
I used to work in hospital emergency rooms
I took care of a guy that ran over a Phillips head screwdriver with a lawnmower and <b>shot it clear through his foot, boot and all!</b>

But I wouldn't say it qualified as shooting one's self in the foot, as he didn't realize it was in the grass.

K
"Whistling women and crowing hens never come to no good end"
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

A friend is a paramedic. He was telling me of the call they got from the home of one of the village's less intellectual family (the total IQ of all four may not make triple digits). On arrival, they found the son, who really is referred to by townsfolk as the 'Village Idiot' standing there buck nekkid with a board attached to his backside. Seems he'd backed hard into a board with a protruding 16 penny nail. Jeff wasn't sure how and really wasn't too anxious to know.
madguy

Post by madguy »

The reason is simple...... guns shoot people in the foot, not people!
Rockymtnpiper

Post by Rockymtnpiper »

I think that Leonard Skinnard was on to something when he said "and if you like drinking whiskey.. you might just shoot yerself"

The Bowhunter incident is a bit odd, since thems usualy the smart ones. I have heard stories about farmers who actually spray paint the word "COW" on their cows so they dont get shot. Wouldnt you know it.. some hunter with a cow tag comes along....
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-15 01:34, madguy wrote:
The reason is simple...... guns shoot people in the foot, not people!
I do not believe in so-called gun control laws. But some people don't behave very responsibly. An old classmate of my father's tried to commit suicide with a handgun, once. He's still living, but has no nose.
Reasonable person
Walden
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Speaking professionally, from a Podiatric point of view, I would have to say... I have no idea!!
A number of years ago, my stepson was taken to the ER because he supposedly shot himself in the foot with a friend's pellet gun while they were fooling around. The ER Doc did a little Quincy thing and deduced that Chris could not have possibly done it due to the angle of the entry wound. Chris finally admitted that his friend had accidently done it and Chris was just covering for him (on the theory that it is pretty stupid to shoot yourself in the foot, but the gunshot is it's own punishment, whereas to shoot a friend is REALLY bad). I wonder if this might be the case in some of the other injuries
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

On 2002-09-14 21:22, StevePower wrote:
I doubt that your question was actually about guns, in any 'real' sense, was it Dale? As usual, it appears that you are being subtle. I'd prefer you to come out with 'all guns blazing'.

Steve
No. I'm afraid I'd shoot myself in the foot.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

John - Funny you should mention someone shooting himself in the rear. During years on the firing range at the outdoor police range, I'd always heard tell of some guy who'd shot himself in the rear while on the line; I never could figure out how. It was only recently that I discovered in the course of casual conversation that he was someone I'd known all those years!

Bottom line is it doesn't pay to assume, take for granted or be careless ever when handling firearms.

Philo
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

On 2002-09-14 21:08, jim_mc wrote:
Well, I've never fired anything but a musket, but it would be pretty hard to shoot yourself by accident with a rifle or shotgun in any other body part.
There was a comedian (I wanna say Blake Clark) who would occasionally read newspaper stories. He had one from Texas, which said something to the effect that a guy was found dead with two bullet wounds to the chest. The local sherriff also found a few feet away from him a 30-06 (high-powered rifle) which had fired two rounds. They ruled the death a suicide. The comedian added, "You've really got to admire the guy. Personally, after I'd pointed the muzzle at my chest and pulled the trigger with my toe, I'd probably have given up after one round."
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

On 2002-09-14 23:35, John Allison wrote:
While serving as a Navy Hospital Corpsman it was standard procedure to accompany the Marines to the shooting range because they were constantly shooting each other!
Interesting. I was a corpsman assigned to the Marine Corps. Never had anyone shoot someone on the range (or even come close). However, we did have a gate guard shoot his partner by accident (playing "quick-draw"). Both were kicked out of the corps. The one who did the shooting, and the one who got shot, since he was the senior member on duty, and was letting the other marine play with the weapon.
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

I'm slow, but I finally understand the question.
jim_mc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I have another question. This is kind of a moral dilemma.

If I know that someone is dumb enough to shoot themself in the foot, is it wrong for me to leave a loaded gun where they might pick it up?
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

On 2002-09-16 02:57, jim_mc wrote:
If I know that someone is dumb enough to shoot themself in the foot, is it wrong for me to leave a loaded gun where they might pick it up?
Only if you're within range of them.

Sometimes darwinism needs a little nudge.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

--quote--
I have another question. This is kind of a moral dilemma.

--endquote--

Of course, I know this isn't a literal question, but a lifetime of being around guns leads me to answer it literally first: if you ever leave a loaded gun anywhere, it is absolutely your fault if anyone or anything is damaged by it. Also this is true if you ever leave an unloaded gun or even ammo anywhere where anyone can get to it. The only safe place to leave a weapon is a locked safe.

OK, now to the deeper question you are really asking: can we really get rid of all the "loaded guns"? Do we really live in a world where we can reasonably remove every way it which a person can damage themselves?

For instance, if you refer to the Internet as a "loaded gun," (and many have)--can you make it "safe" without in fact destroying the essense of what it is? Wouldn't a "safe" Internet be just cable TV for computers? 1,999,999,990 channels but nothing on?

You could even refer (in a purely hypothetical sense, of course) to a popular online whistling message board as being a "loaded gun," as certainly people seem to be standing in line for the chance to shoot themselves in the foot with it lately (hypothetically, of course). :smile:

Best to all,
--James
http://www.flutesite.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: peeplj on 2002-09-16 12:00 ]</font>