Burke whistle question????????

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistlin'fool
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Burke whistle question????????

Post by whistlin'fool »

OK OK so after listening to many sound clips i have caved and it's time to satisfy my WhoA problem by purchasing a Burke whistle (DASBT). I was just wondering what people thought of the aluminum session D whistle, but most importantly my question is on the website there are two questions i don't understand; first of all it asks if i want a thumb hole, which i'm assuming is for adding different possible notes to the whistle (tell me if i'm wrong please) and if i want a roll case, does a roll case just mean a normal whistle case or is it some sort of design to the whistle? (just want to make sure i get what i want when i purchase it). Thanks for any help you guys can give me.

http://www.burkewhistles.com/product.ph ... 258&page=1
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

My advice: buy the Burke, skip the thumb-hole, and buy the roll-case if you plan to carry it around much. (It's not part of the whistle).
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
dapple

Post by dapple »

A regular single whistle case is included with the price of a whistle. The roll case is for carrying multiple whistles.
whistlin'fool

Post by whistlin'fool »

OHHHHHH! it's just a case for multiple whistles that rolls up, i get it! duuhhhh. But yeah i'm skipping the thumb hole and the case (now that i know what it is) and i do plan to buy it in the next couple of days unless someone can persuade me not to (but i'm very doubtfull of this) Thanks a bunch for the help! :D
jaime!

Post by jaime! »

your avatar hurts my head....
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Get brass. It has a much nicer voice than aluminum in my opinion.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
scheky

Post by scheky »

Odd, I normally prefer Al to Brass. The ONLY brass whistles I've really liked actually are my old Copeland and my new Dixon Trad.

I think it's more of a personal choice really.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

Very subjective...I have both and they are fine whistles. I prefer the brass, and the newer model black tip, because it has to my ears a richer tone.

Varying opinions on its playability and tonal qualities though, which surprises me somewhat. For me it's a consistently easy to play in every regard whistle that is also well balanced between the octaves and has some complexity of tone especially in the lower end and can be leaned into or played softly.

It's been my workhorse for some time now. Some have implied that it's ordinary or boring in tonal quality and I recall one thread wherein someone(s) even said it was not a good choice for beginners - I don't recall exactly why, but perhaps due to difficulty in playing. That I found amazing.

IMHO, it's (I refer specifically to the brass black tip) a really consistent, dependable, lovely sounding whistle with enough character and guts. It's one of a handful of whistles I generally play (along with Abells and Copelands, and when traveling my Busman little green man).

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

I think the brass versions sound better...the aluminum one I tried was not very interesting (complex, rich, whatever) sounding.

-Brett
whistlin'fool

Post by whistlin'fool »

So this morning i ordered the brass black tipped session D and got it rushed delievered so hopefully it'll be here in two days or less. I can't wait to play it. Thanks for all the help with the chosing process, i'll let you guys know what i think about it when i get it. :D
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

PhilO wrote:Very subjective...I have both and they are fine whistles. I prefer the brass, and the newer model black tip, because it has to my ears a richer tone.

Varying opinions on its playability and tonal qualities though, which surprises me somewhat. For me it's a consistently easy to play in every regard whistle that is also well balanced between the octaves and has some complexity of tone especially in the lower end and can be leaned into or played softly.

It's been my workhorse for some time now. Some have implied that it's ordinary or boring in tonal quality and I recall one thread wherein someone(s) even said it was not a good choice for beginners - I don't recall exactly why, but perhaps due to difficulty in playing. That I found amazing.

IMHO, it's (I refer specifically to the brass black tip) a really consistent, dependable, lovely sounding whistle with enough character and guts. It's one of a handful of whistles I generally play (along with Abells and Copelands, and when traveling my Busman little green man).

Philo
I agree entirely with your assessment. I have a brass black-tip standard-bore D, and it's my workhorse also...my favorite session whistle.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
riverman

Post by riverman »

I have the whistle you ordered. The edges of the toneholes are nicely rounded through hours and hours and hours of playing. I have got enough feel for it that I can now play even a high A without extreme volume. I polish it once in a while with NeverDull, and oh, how it shines!
It's mine...my own...my prrrrrecioussssss!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

riverman wrote:I polish it once in a while with NeverDull, and oh, how it shines!
It's mine...my own...my prrrrrecioussssss!
Haha!

I have a Black Tip, Brass, Session Bore in High D too. I never polish it. I like the look and feel of the Patina - and I imagine it sounds warmer then a shiney one (note: I said "imagine").

Not my workhorse (those would be Reyburn and Overton), but the Burke is a very solid performer. You're going to like it.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Mitch

Post by Mitch »

I have found (the hard way) that sound-clips are very difficult to manage. Each player will change the way a whistle sounds! A sound-clip has to be played by someone!

For example - if you (the flesh and blood air-breathing incorporation of you) pick up a gen and give it a toot then you pick-up a Dixon Trad, the sound to the listener might not change a lot, however, you, will feel a certain change to the dynamic that makes you feel a bit different in the dynamic of the pressure and the change in the the tone. While your friend, the low-whistler will swap his dixon for a Chiftain and you won't tell the difference but your bud will persist. Later at the recording session, you might find your foot tapping a bit more, or even entertaining the thought of retaining the sound-engineer for the next CD! (don't be concerned friend-of-"you" - we all noticed).

You really do have to wrap your lips around a whistle to test its measure. I could wish for more, but it's true - get the best advice, do the best research, but - try it :)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

PhilO wrote:Very subjective...I have both and they are fine whistles. I prefer the brass, and the newer model black tip, because it has to my ears a richer tone.

Philo
I also have both and tend to switch, month to month or so, with the edge to aluminum.