Please wear your seatbelts and slow down....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
gonzo914
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gonzo914 »

SteveShaw wrote:
djm wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:If ever an American sentence needed a translator's note for the Brits
What? They don't have special toilet cubicles for people confined to wheelchairs in English public restrooms?
Aha. Nearly there! But not "restrooms," please. Bogs, lavs, or just plain toilets. When I go into one the last thing I do is rest. It's usually a bloody struggle, actually...
Then you would like the handicapped stalls, because they are surrounded by rails to give you extra support in those more strenuous moments.

And you can dangle your legs.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

Well, just tonight, I had an object lesson on this discussion. I was driving home on a winding, hilly road. A two-lane. The posted speed limit is 25. I was going, I confess, 30 I should think. A guy comes up on my tail. What to do?. I did what I usually do: I gradually slowed to drive the speed limit. He came up closer until he saw I wasn't going to be BULLIED INTO DRIVING FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT and he backed off. Almost without exception, that's the response I get.

I could have pulled over to let him pass, and I respect that advice. It wouldn't have been easy--there's no shoulder and I would have had to go off on a side street or into someone's driveway. But, here's my thing. It's HIS problem if he's aggravated by my driving a mere 5 mph over the speed limit (and then the speed limit). Where's the fire? Why should I be bullied into driving faster than I want (and faster than is legal) or into pulling off on a side street or someone's driveway?

I guess we've beaten this one to death.
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Dale wrote:

... almost. Lemme get this in:

"Hey, all you tourist in central Florida, drive the Gorram speed limit, at the very least! 40mph in a 65mph zone is criminal, and, I believe, illegal!!!!"

Wow, that felt great to get off my shoulders... pheeeewwww!!!!
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

It seems to me that one of the reasons for having three or more lanes is that the right most lane is intended for merging traffic. Typically I'll stay in the second to the right lane in big cities because there's so much on and off. It's usually not a problem. The entrance ramps are not usually enough to get up to speed. I noticed in Tennessee the ramps were way too short.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Dale wrote:Well, just tonight, I had an object lesson on this discussion. I was driving home on a winding, hilly road. A two-lane. The posted speed limit is 25. I was going, I confess, 30 I should think. A guy comes up on my tail. What to do?. I did what I usually do: I gradually slowed to drive the speed limit. He came up closer until he saw I wasn't going to be BULLIED INTO DRIVING FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT and he backed off. Almost without exception, that's the response I get.

I could have pulled over to let him pass, and I respect that advice. It wouldn't have been easy--there's no shoulder and I would have had to go off on a side street or into someone's driveway. But, here's my thing. It's HIS problem if he's aggravated by my driving a mere 5 mph over the speed limit (and then the speed limit). Where's the fire? Why should I be bullied into driving faster than I want (and faster than is legal) or into pulling off on a side street or someone's driveway?

So.... :D .....if you were doing 30 and the limit is 25, by slowing down arent you bullying the other driver into doing the speed limit? :D And isn't it YOUR problem if you're aggravated by his driving a mere 5 miles and hour more than you were? It's only 5 more than you were exceeding the limit by. :D I mean, hell, if you're going to break the law (which, as disclaimer, I don't advise or condone :P ) why not go for the gold, eh? :D :P

Sorry, I'm just messin' with ya. :P

Just an observation on the discussion...Everyone has their policies regarding how they deal with tailgaters, and interestingly enough they all believe their policy is the best regardless of whether their personal policy puts themselves and others in danger or not. For twenty years my father was the district safety manager for UPS. Part of his responsililty was to investigate accidents involving package cars. This was where I first got a summarial education in accident investigation. Later, I had to take two traffic investigation classes at the Academy for my degree. Many the cases I've seen where people have been rear ended by tailgaters actually brought their accident upon themselves in one way or another (like the ones who slam their brakes on tailgaters. They're the ones that seem to be the most surprised at how much damage, financially and physically, can never be undone after an accident). Sure, the law in 99.9% of all places states that the person doing the rear-ending is at fault, but no matter what the final outcome, you'll never be restored 100% to your original station. Sure, you may have your car repaired, but you better believe that your insurance (and the other driver's insurance) will report your car as wrecked to CARFAX and other reporting agencies, so you better not be planning to sell it or trade it for much. Maybe the insurance company will total your car and pay you out. Most of the time, the best you can hope to get from them, even with an attorney working for you, is a low blue book value, which, as most people as familiar with the current car market will tell you, will usually not come close to replacing you car. In many places if you have an expensive stereo system or other modifications done to the car, you can't collect them from the car after the insurance declares the vehicle totaled because they are considered part of the damaged vehicle, regardless of what their true dollar value is.
It's so important to many drivers to appear un-bullyable on the road, and the way people drive nowadays, I can't blame them, but is one's bulletproof image worth allowing a hazardous driver access to your car' 'and your family's immediate space? In Dale's case, the driver may not have done much damage had an accident occured (umm, well, idunno, you still drivin that Echo dale?), so I can't fault him for slowing down to a speed where, if an accident did occur, there would be minimal damage (then again, the Echo may have been turned into an Oreo cookie, for all I know about how they fair in accidents. I don't think they get up to a fast enough speed to do much damage anyways :P :P ), but you's guys who play those games on the freeway...take heed. It may make you feel like a big, tough speednazi, but think about the hazardous situation you place youself into. Frankly, a rear-end accident is something that I'd really, really like not to happen to me again, cause it hurts gorramit!! And it's expensive, gorramit!!
gorramit!
bah, humbug,,,, :D
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

Wanderer wrote:
djm wrote:Too much information! :o No more pulp for you, sir.

djm
more pulp would actually help in this regard... ;)
Exactly what I was thinking.
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
djm wrote:Too much information! :o No more pulp for you, sir.

djm
more pulp would actually help in this regard... ;)
Exactly what I was thinking.
I think pulp is in the bottom section, right?

For those of you not getting enough pulp...
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
emmline

Post by emmline »

Anyway,
(and Tyler...these are for you: :D :D :o :D :lol: :D :boggle: )
if I've given the impression through my comments that I like to "play games" with obnox tailgaters, it's a false impression. I get out of the way of people like that. In fact, I think they should all be required to have special flags waving above their cars designating them as high aggression factor so that I'll be alerted to move before they're near me.

Most of the examples I've given are for the sake of argument anyway. It would be extremely rare that someone would tailgate in lane 2 of 4.

But the thing is--stuff happens to me...people pull onto the road in front of me without adequate clearance and I have to slow down. People merge in front of me and I have to slow down. I don't, at these times, turn into the Incredible Hulk and start bearing down on them, because I figure everyone has to get where they're going and people make judgment errors.

So, if you guys are saying that it's imcumbent upon me to protect myself by getting out of the way of cloddish drivers--I agree.
It's just that some of the commentary seems to be suggesting that aggressive drivers have every right to behave threateningly toward cautious drivers. And I don't agree with that.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

emmline wrote: It's just that some of the commentary seems to be suggesting that aggressive drivers have every right to behave threateningly toward cautious drivers. And I don't agree with that.
No, that's not what I'm suggesting. Overly aggresive drivers have no right to behave like they do, however, no one else besides designated law enforcement personell have the right to remind them. The best and only thing you're permitted to do is phone the plate in. Those kind of calls DO get followed up on (at least around here), however (again, around here) one can be cited for hazardous or reckless driving by doing silly things like stomping on their brakes. You don't pull asinine stunts like that on the race track (in fact, you can be suspended or banned from certain events for playing those kind of games), and if they don't allow professional drivers to do that, why on earth should a regular driver be allowed to.
Again, I'm not, nor have I ever been arguing in favor of the tailgater. I've been disputing the safety of people's responses to the tailager. One cannot simply and arrogantly declare that they're a "safe" driver because they travel the speed limit, yet play games like these with tailgaters. One can't expect to play with fire and not get burned, so, too, one should not expect to play with tailgaters or other hazardous drivers and not get burned. As I've said before, most people who chronically tailgate eventually screw up, sometimes bigtime. Some of them learn their lesson, some do not, however, I personally have had my fill participating in traffic 'object lessons' for one lifetime.
Personally, I remove myself from the vicinity of hazardous drivers, and I'll continue to do so.
Besides, if they're going faster than me, they've really got something wrong with them :P :D
Aight....I'm off this soapbox, I promise. :D
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I am pleased to see a rake of new highway signs that state: SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT... but I will not hold my breath for this advice to actually mean something to the majority of drivers down here in sunny FL. It occurs to me, that most folk cannot tell their left from their right, let alone read the fooking things
djm

Post by djm »

emmline wrote:It's just that some of the commentary seems to be suggesting that aggressive drivers have every right to behave threateningly toward cautious drivers. And I don't agree with that.
Its not a question of who is right, or who's behaviour is most appropriate. Its about provocation. If you provoke a hostile person's ire, they are likely to escalate the situation. You are dealing with total strangers. You have no idea how they will react. We joke a bit here about our frustration with some drivers, but that's just blowing off steam. The reality is that you need to get away from idiot drivers. Sometimes this means speeding up to get away, or it can mean slowing down, or moving aside, and letting them get away from you. Do whatever seems safest.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
missy

Post by missy »

ok - got another one to add.....

Traffic flowing along in the fast lane, we're going past a semi - then the car(s) in front of me slow down and now I'm in the "blind spot" of the semi. I really, really try to NEVER be in the blind spot of a semi (I like my car). So my choiced are to slow down (and get everyone behind me ticked off) or stay where I am and hope that the traffic speeds up so I can go forward some, or that the truck doesn't try to change lanes.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Missy, I sympathize. There is very little more dangerous than riding alongside a semi.

I will not attempt to pass a semi without there is enough clear road ahead to let me get completely past him...and then I will usually pass him as quickly as possible, irregardless of the speed limit.

Remember, you can recover from a speeding ticket. You cannot recover from being dead.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

peeplj wrote:Missy, I sympathize. There is very little more dangerous than riding alongside a semi.

I will not attempt to pass a semi without there is enough clear road ahead to let me get completely past him...and then I will usually pass him as quickly as possible, irregardless of the speed limit.

Remember, you can recover from a speeding ticket. You cannot recover from being dead.

--James
I got ran off the road by a semi once, scared the helloutame (and their insurance company refused to pay for my damages despite the fact that he neglected to activate his blinker), so I blitz past em or I don't go anywhere near em. Whenever I pass a semi, it usually gets reported as a UFO sighting.
djm

Post by djm »

Its flatbeds that scare the willies out of me. Their tail end seems to wander back and forth across the lane more than a trailer, and they are usually just exactly at the height of the middle of my windscreen. I invariably find myself riding off the tail of one of them somewhere on a long trip, and its the worst part of the journey for me.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.