Back in the educational system. A thread by Walden.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Back in the educational system. A thread by Walden.

Post by Walden »

Eidted to update subject heading.
Last edited by Walden on Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reasonable person
Walden
missy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by missy »

now, now, also remember, I said most of the highly gifted people I know have those same challenges (don't want to get a thread started that is against Dale's rules....).
Just remember to ASK for help if you think you need it. There's no shame in it, and a lot of colleges know there are many people out there who do need it.
And know there are a LOT of people in your corner cheering for you!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Most colleges have a department set up that offer tutoring if needed. It ought to be free. I have used this manner of system more than a few times... math.... ick.

You'll be fine Walden. Study hard, but don't forget to have some fun too. After all, it is college. :thumbsup:
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

You're on the right track, Walden! I can tell because you've clearly been evaluating your situation, which is exactly what you should be doing!

The suggestions about getting assistance from your school with tutoring, etc., are very good.

I'd like to say something about "adjusting to schedule." This can be a very difficult part of school, especially if you have to work, too.

Something that works well for me and for my students is to approach school as if it were a job. At a job, you have to arrive on time, be there working, and do good work. Simply treat school the same way.

Get a calendar or print one off the internet. You want one that is marked out in hours for both day and evening. Block out all the hours that you will be at work. Block out your travel time. Block out all other "required" time, like church. Block out sleeping, getting dressed, and eating.

Once you've done that, mark out your class times and travel for that. Then, determine how many hours you'll need to study. For an average 3-4 credit class, you'll need 6-10 hours per week. (Seriously! School is a full-time job.)

"Attend" your study times just like you "attend" work. The times you scheduled for studying aren't "kind of" times--they're fixed times. If you're supposed to be at the library studying from 3-6, then you are there in your chair studying at 3 and you don't leave until 6.

You will also benefit by getting a timer. Set it for 30 or 60 minutes, then study for that length of time. It helps to have a ticking timer so that you're reminded to keep going.

Don't just wishy-washy read, either. At the beginning of each week, spend time planning what you will study every hour of your schedule, then study it. Study as if the fire alarm has just gone off and you need to finish the paragraph, or the question, or the page you're writing before you can leave the building.

Studies seem to be showing that you will do better if you get up at the same time every morning. It throws your circadian rhythms off less. So, get up every morning at, say, 6. Do so without fail. You can go to bed an hour or two later without much harm, but you must get up every morning at the same time. You'll adjust to this and won't be tired from sleeping late on occasion.

I'm sure you already know about not studying in front of the TV or with music on. One thing that really helps focus your attention on what you are studying is earplugs. Musician's earplugs are only about $15 and they're one of the best study investments you can make.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Best of luck, Aaron. In the unlikely event you take physics, don't hesitate to ring me up.

The most important thing about school is to keep it fun. Since you're going back to school because you want to rather than it's just the thing to do, I think it should be fun. Be there for you, not for your profs.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
emmline

Post by emmline »

All good advice, and many folks in your corner.
You have a unique brilliance. Go for it.
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

chas wrote:Best of luck, Aaron. In the unlikely event you take physics, don't hesitate to ring me up.
And in the unlikely event that you take Quantum Temporal Mechanics in Applied Warp Field Theory, please hesitate to ring me up. :D :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

emmline wrote: You have a unique brilliance.
Agreed. In point of fact, I believe it may even be an understatement.... no offence Emm. :)
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

Walden,
Congratulations, education is always an adventure.

My best suggestion, is to focus on learning. That may sound self-evident; but, to often students focus on other things, like completing assignments, getting grades, looking good to your professors, looking good to your fellow students, etc. If you focus on learning those thing take care of themselves. Most of my professors would go the extra mile with any student that was focused on learning, they'd help or direct you to where to find help.

Focusing on learning gives you the impetus to interupt a lecture when you don't understand whats going on. The teacher can side step, and direct you to follow up after class or address the issue. Suprisingly, I was always amazed at how many fellow students after class thanked me for making teachers review a principle that I didn't understand. Of course this pre-supposes that you completed your preparations for class, but if you're focusing on learning, it becomes easy to read and study as you need. I also found I tended to get a little ahead of schedule on my assignments and readings, simply because I was anxious to understand more. This helped me put things in context more easily during class.

My best final advice:
Regardless how busy it gets, find time for your music. It revives the heart and spirit, it gives sustanance to that which takes the risks that all learning processes require. It feeds the essence within while relaxing the intellectual muscles that have grown tired with the education process.

When would I ever end a post with out the reminder to ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Go for it Walden!!! Let 'r rip!
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

I used to think I wasn't cut out for school and that I couldn't make it and that I couldn't learn. I've changed my mind of late.
Reasonable person
Walden
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Walden wrote:I used to think I wasn't cut out for school and that I couldn't make it and that I couldn't learn. I've changed my mind of late.
And just in time, too, seein' as how you're goin' back to school. :wink:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Don't forget your gum erasers.
That is one thing that I really needed in college.
Leave you sliderule at home, though.
I think that you may be pleasantly surprised
about how well you do, Walden.
Good luck!
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Doug_Tipple wrote:Don't forget your gum erasers.
That's a good idea I'd not thought of. I made good use of them in high school.

Anyway, I just came from getting my textbooks, so I reckon that's one item to be scratched off the above list.
Reasonable person
Walden
BillChin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BillChin »

Almost all new or returning college students have concerns and worries, so this is average. A person can plan, decide and act on each of the concerns. It is important to study hard, and schedule. However, time for recharging and rest is also vital. Eating well, exercise, and enough sleep are often second thoughts, but will go a long way towards the goal.

A lot of college students are casual about their studying (I was), so anyone who applies himself/herself will usually be way ahead of the pack.