Thinking about a new career

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
cowtime
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by cowtime »

djm wrote:I am always thinking of finding an alternate career, but have no idea what I'd like to do. I am enjoying the great ideas people have here. Please keep them coming. I could never go into the healthcare business, but I think I would like something that allows me to do some driving and some walking, and not be stuck sitting at a desk all day, and makes good money, and aren't I just asking for the moon, and if I didn't have to be particularly nice to anyone because I find that draining, then I think that might be okay ..... :D

djm

You want to be a rural mail carrier. Truly rural, not a "fake" rural route, but the real thing. The only drawbacks are that you have to be able to risk life and limb to deliver junk mail in a blinding snowstorm, spend a fortune to provide a route vehicle , and tolerate a lot of stress.

Now back to health care professions. Don't expect to make a living as a vet tech in just any area of the country like you can in human health care. It may pay well in some places, but certainly not even decent in lots. Unlike human health care, veterinary hospitals can hire untrained "assistants", train them on the job, they can do all but invasive procedures, and get by with paying them very little.
I was an unlicensed one for many years, my daughter got her degree and license, and then found out that it can work against you. She was told many times that "we can't afford a licensed tech". She gave up the field since it did not pay a living wage around here.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

cowtime wrote:
djm wrote:I am always thinking of finding an alternate career, but have no idea what I'd like to do. I am enjoying the great ideas people have here. Please keep them coming. I could never go into the healthcare business, but I think I would like something that allows me to do some driving and some walking, and not be stuck sitting at a desk all day, and makes good money, and aren't I just asking for the moon, and if I didn't have to be particularly nice to anyone because I find that draining, then I think that might be okay ..... :D

djm

You want to be a rural mail carrier. Truly rural, not a "fake" rural route, but the real thing. The only drawbacks are that you have to be able to risk life and limb to deliver junk mail in a blinding snowstorm, spend a fortune to provide a route vehicle , and tolerate a lot of stress.

Cool. djm just got his new career! C'mon delivah the lettah, the soonah the bettah....
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

cowtime wrote:

Now back to health care professions. Don't expect to make a living as a vet tech in just any area of the country like you can in human health care. It may pay well in some places, but certainly not even decent in lots. Unlike human health care, veterinary hospitals can hire untrained "assistants", train them on the job, they can do all but invasive procedures, and get by with paying them very little.
I was an unlicensed one for many years, my daughter got her degree and license, and then found out that it can work against you. She was told many times that "we can't afford a licensed tech". She gave up the field since it did not pay a living wage around here.
The same is true here.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

rh wrote:
Loren wrote:This is definitely one of those occupations where you should talk to several massage therapists who have been in the business for 5+ years, before making a decision - chronic physical problems due to repetitive strain/over use, and emotional burnout, are common problems among massage therapists who work often enough to make a decent living. One of my closest friends has recently left the field for these reasons, after only 5-6 years at it.
That's probably about average, i hear various estimates from 3-7 years as the average career span for an MT. Slightly longer than a professional athlete.

I remember asking my first Chinese medicine teacher to teach me Tui Na, Chinese massage. He said in his thick accent "Better study acupuncture instead. Someday you get old, tired. Tui Na very difficult, acupuncture very easy!"
Yeah and that's why I do what passes as a Japanese Asian bodywork therapy for my post retirement career.
It says right on my waver that I don't offer what passes as medicine.
Besides, there's a big difference in how one can practice if its not one's main source of money.

In the mean time I have an excellent excuse (for CEUs) to feed my addiction to taking class after class.
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

cowtime wrote: You want to be a rural mail carrier. Truly rural, not a "fake" rural route, but the real thing. The only drawbacks are that you have to be able to risk life and limb to deliver junk mail in a blinding snowstorm, spend a fortune to provide a route vehicle , and tolerate a lot of stress.
Okay, serious question here, to anyone who may know either from experience, or study: What is it about postal service jobs that is so stressful? Never having had a postal job, I obviously lack insight on the issue. From what I am able to observe, I can't fathom what is so stressful about delivery jobs or back room sorting jobs. I can see how the customer service counter jobs can be stressful, but having worked many years in retail customer service myself, postal service counter jobs seem somewhat less stressful - I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in a post office and heard customers screaming at employees, however it happens regularly in retail.

I dunno, I postal jobs just don't seem anywhere near as stressful as a whole lot of other jobs, can someone enlighten me? I'm honestly curious.

Loren
djm

Post by djm »

cowtime wrote:You want to be a rural mail carrier. Truly rural, not a "fake" rural route, but the real thing. The only drawbacks are that you have to be able to risk life and limb to deliver junk mail in a blinding snowstorm, spend a fortune to provide a route vehicle , and tolerate a lot of stress.
Cynth wrote:Cool. djm just got his new career! C'mon delivah the lettah, the soonah the bettah....
You gotta wait a minute, wait a minute ... er ... sorry, but I did specify the need to earn a good income. I don't know about the US, but posties here, although they often make more than they are worth, still don't make that much a year. I'm looking $65-70K per year at least.

Loren, I don't have any information for you. I am curious about this myself. My experience with posties is that, like any large group, there are some great individuals, some real trash, and lots of folks in between.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Loren wrote: Okay, serious question here, to anyone who may know either from experience, or study: What is it about postal service jobs that is so stressful? Never having had a postal job, I obviously lack insight on the issue. From what I am able to observe, I can't fathom what is so stressful about delivery jobs or back room sorting jobs. I can see how the customer service counter jobs can be stressful, but having worked many years in retail customer service myself, postal service counter jobs seem somewhat less stressful - I can count on one hand the number of times I've been in a post office and heard customers screaming at employees, however it happens regularly in retail.

I dunno, I postal jobs just don't seem anywhere near as stressful as a whole lot of other jobs, can someone enlighten me? I'm honestly curious.

Loren
Well, the PO phased out "Letter Sorting Machines" about 10 years ago where the clerks had 2/8 of a second to see the address and 3/8 of a second to key out either the first 3 digits of a 5 digit zip code or the last 3 digits depending what the zip code was unless the letter had a special zip code that called for a memory code to be keyed or if there was no zip code send it to a special code where the machine was turned down to only 50 letters a minute so clerks could key everything from memory.

Now mail is processed in "automation" with optical bar code readers but someone still has to load the 7 to 20 pound trays of mail onto the machines and cull out all of the nonuniform mail. Someone also has to work sweep side of the mail unloading the bins into trays and dispatching them out.
Automation clerks work a rotation of these 2 jobs 8 to 10 hours a night.

The machines all operate at decible levels the postal union is constantly complaining about.
Carpel tunnel syndrome, back injuries and deafness are 3 of the many health adventures that are rank at the PO.

The maximum weight limit for a clerk to be required to pick up is 70 pounds. Some clerks are assigned to operations where they do nothing but sort heavy boxes day in and day out.

Window clerks?
They usually have 7 to 12 thousand dollars worth of stamps in their drawers that they are held accountable for. If they come up short it comes out of their pay check.
If you see them at the windows at 7 AM its a safe bet they've been there since 4 AM sorting mail to the PO boxes.

The grand bulk of the mail gets moved between 5 PM (last pickup at the boxes) in cancellation and 2 AM after its been processed in automation and goes out to the associate offices for distribution.

Working during the day is done by a skeleton crew by comparison. If you want your mail Monday morning there have been people sorting it for you all Sunday night.
It takes really high seniority to get onto days and even more for weekends.

Ok, mail carriers do get to work days and have Sundays off but not only do they spend the whole day out in the elements (frozen snot on their moustaches et cetera) they're held accountable for all their mail as well. They have to sign out for registered mail, collect postage due, what ever.
They are allotted x amount of time to do their routes.
The time allotted does not change summer to winter.

ALL first class mail that arrives at an associate office in the morning has to be delivered that day.

Management has 20 minutes before the end of tour to tell employees if they have to work a mandatory 10 hour schedule.
Its not unusual to be asked to work 60 hour weeks.

Vacation time is allotted by seniority.
Incidental time off is alloted by a quota system. Currently you file for it in triplicate.
In many cases all sick leave must be documented with a letter from a doctor (even in cases where the employee has over a couple hundred hours of accumulated sick leave).

If someone has a substance abuse problem anything they do wrong is excusable as long as they are seeking medical help. Their fellow employees are expected to pick up the slack around them.

Its just about impossible for a veteran of the armed forces to be fired unless they do something physically violent.
Their fellow employees are expected to continue working around them no matter how caustic their behavior becomes.

I used to interpret PO versus Union grievances.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

djm wrote: You gotta wait a minute, wait a minute ... er ... sorry, but I did specify the need to earn a good income. I don't know about the US, but posties here, although they often make more than they are worth, still don't make that much a year. I'm looking $65-70K per year at least.
Then aim for a management position at the PO.
The requirements are low.
Many of the ones I dealt with didn't even have front teeth.
bradhurley

Post by bradhurley »

hyldemoer wrote:They are allotted x amount of time to do their routes.
The time allotted does not change summer to winter.

ALL first class mail that arrives at an associate office in the morning has to be delivered that day..
I have a friend who worked for a few years as a mail carrier, and he literally had to run in order to complete his route in the allotted time. He had to carry heavy loads of mail and had no time to eat while on the job. He lost about 35 pounds in the first year, which was good as he needed to lose some weight, but after the second year he had become emaciated and was having heart problems. I've seen plenty of healthy-looking mail carriers so I guess my friend was an exception, but still, it sure didn't sound like a job I'd want.
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Loren wrote:Okay, serious question here, to anyone who may know either from experience, or study: What is it about postal service jobs that is so stressful?
I recall Jerry asking Newman a variant of this question on an episode of Seinfeld. Newman's answer (paraphrased, as I'm going from memory here) was "BECAUSE THE MAIL NEVER STOPS!!!!"

I have the daily rerun of Seinfeld on most nights at 7:30 while I'm cooking dinner. Next time this one comes up in the rotation I'll try to remember to get the exact quote of this scene and post it here, if I can still find this thread...
johnkerr

Post by johnkerr »

Wow, I just discovered that there's a web site containing every word of every script from every Seinfeld episode that ever was. (And why am I not all that surprised to discover this?) Here's the scene, from Episode #418 "The Old Man":

George: Let me ask you something. What do you do for a living, Newman?

Newman: I'm a United States postal worker.

George: Aren't those the guys that always go crazy and come back with a
gun and shoot everybody?

Newman: Sometimes...

Jerry: Why *is* that?

Newman: Because the mail never stops. It just keeps coming and coming and coming, there's never a let-up. It's relentless. Every day it piles up more and more and more! And you gotta get it out but the
more you get it out the more it keeps coming in. And then the bar code reader breaks and it's *Publisher's Clearing House* day!!!

% Newman is restrained by the boys.
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

I've always thought the ideal job would be playtesting for Lego designers.

I teach now, but alternatives would be working in some type of design capacity (graphic or web) or architecture. I like building things; I hate maintaining them.

What would it take for an absolute newb to get employed as an architect? I have a BA and MA in History, a couple of useless computer certifications, and some farcical education credits racked up:)
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Brewster

Post by Brewster »

Put that biology degree to good use as a seal trainer at the Monterey Aquarium. If that isn't feasible, become an secret agent--Julia Child was one before her cooking days (an agent, not a seal trainer).
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

why not just walk the earth... like Caine from Kung Fu...
there is no end to the walking
djm

Post by djm »

Brewster wrote:Julia Child was one before her cooking days (an agent, not a seal trainer)
Julia Child cooked seals? :o What episode was that in? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.