Please wear your seatbelts and slow down....

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

Wanderer wrote:
emmline wrote: Yes, I agree. I do move for this reason. I move while reserving the right to think he's a troll.
that's a lot nicer term than I usually call them :)
Speaking of hurling insults....

What do you call a guy who spends all day every day at the beach?

A real son of a beach! :P :lol:
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote: Sure, I'm right with you on this, Steve. Now get outa my feckin' lane! :lol:
Whaddya mean - you know you only tailgate me because you like the look of my arse! :lol:
emmline wrote:I'm somewhere in the middle, and that the tailgater is fully free to pass me.
Sorry, don't mean to sound like I'm picking on you, but if you are "somewhere in the middle" lanes and not passing anything, you are in the wrong lane, and the tailgater may well be telling you so. You should be in the right-most lane unless passing, or unless you are Steve, in which case you are driving on the wrong side of the road anyway. :wink:

djm
Same rule of the road here only all the other way round as we drive on the left. It is simply not on to drive in the middle lane when the inside lane is clear, even if you're doing 120. Three-quarters of the UK population don't appear to understand this basic rule.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:you know you only tailgate me because you like the look of my arse!
When's the last time you shaved this thing. Ooops! Wrong forum. :oops:
SteveShaw wrote:It is simply not on to drive in the middle lane when the inside lane is clear, even if you're doing 120. Three-quarters of the UK population don't appear to understand this basic rule.
I don't know about where you live, but here they have big electronic message boards over the freeways, dispensing road and traffic conditions ahead, as well as smarmy little safe-driving blurbs. Not once have I ever seen these signs say, "Passing lanes are for passing only!"

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
emmline

Post by emmline »

djm wrote: I don't know about where you live, but here they have big electronic message boards over the freeways, dispensing road and traffic conditions ahead, as well as smarmy little safe-driving blurbs. Not once have I ever seen these signs say, "Passing lanes are for passing only!"

djm
Yes. I'm frequently on highways with 3-4 lanes (one direction.) We'll call them, r to l, 1,2,3,&4. (That's 4,3,2,&1 to Steve.)
Typically I'm in lane 2, because I'm passing people in lane 1 often enough that it's a nuisance to hang out there. If I'm supposed to stay in lane 1 unless I'm passing, what are 3 and 4 for? (Evidently, as I've previously stated, there are many aggressive drivers who don't think 3 and 4 are for them, since they prefer to tailgate me in lane 2.)

I'm not trying to hack this thing apart with a machete, but I'm just curious about this question, as I've stated it. If I'm violating a basic, common-sense law of driving safety I'd like to know.
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

emmline wrote:
djm wrote: I don't know about where you live, but here they have big electronic message boards over the freeways, dispensing road and traffic conditions ahead, as well as smarmy little safe-driving blurbs. Not once have I ever seen these signs say, "Passing lanes are for passing only!"

djm
Yes. I'm frequently on highways with 3-4 lanes (one direction.) We'll call them, r to l, 1,2,3,&4. (That's 4,3,2,&1 to Steve.)
Typically I'm in lane 2, because I'm passing people in lane 1 often enough that it's a nuisance to hang out there. If I'm supposed to stay in lane 1 unless I'm passing, what are 3 and 4 for? (Evidently, as I've previously stated, there are many aggressive drivers who don't think 3 and 4 are for them, since they prefer to tailgate me in lane 2.)

I'm not trying to hack this thing apart with a machete, but I'm just curious about this question, as I've stated it. If I'm violating a basic, common-sense law of driving safety I'd like to know.
In Texas, the law (545.051.b of the Texas Transportation Code) reads:
"An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles"

If you're passing vehicles in lane 1 in Texas, I read this law to give you every right to be in lane 2. Anyone going faster should pass in lanes 3 or 4. If they don't, certainly move right and let them by...but they're still jerks.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I think that the etiquette for a 6-lane or 8-lane freeway is different from the 4-lane highway, which may or may not be controlled access. On a four-lane, divided highway you might see a sign that says, "Keep right except to pass". On recent trips I saw that states had signs that defined other driving protocol. For example, on an 8-lane divided freeway, I often saw the sign, "Trucks drive in the right two lanes".

I often drive on a six-lane, intercity freeway, where there doesn't seem to be a well-defined protocol. The left lane is still a passing lane or a lane for driving fast, the center lane is generally a through lane, and the right lane is for coming on and off the freeway. However, I often see faster moving vehicles passing in the right-hand lane. With so much traffic moving at 70 mph (the speed limit is 55 mph) , it seems about as close to chaos as I want to imagine.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

emmline wrote:

djm

Makes sense to me. Another reason to avoid lane 1 is that people are merging in that lane so why be there creating more congestion and having to deal with in-coming cars unless you're getting on or off. I really believe driving in lane 2 is quite sensible for someone driving at the speed limit. If others wish to go faster they have two lanes to drive in. People going slower than the speed limit should stick to lane 1 unless they need to pass someone going even more slowly. If someone was obviously tailgating me in lane 2 I would be quite alarmed because the only reason for doing it would be to try to scare me or mess with me somehow. I would probably get off the freeway if there was a safe place to go.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

Cynth wrote:Makes sense to me. Another reason to avoid lane 1 is that people are merging in that lane so why be there creating more congestion and having to deal with in-coming cars unless you're getting on or off. I really believe driving in lane 2 is quite sensible for someone driving at the speed limit. If others wish to go faster they have two lanes to drive in. People going slower than the speed limit should stick to lane 1 unless they need to pass someone going even more slowly. If someone was obviously tailgating me in lane 2 I would be quite alarmed because the only reason for doing it would be to try to scare me or mess with me somehow. I would probably get off the freeway if there was a safe place to go.
We have indicators in UK cars and big round things in front of the driver called "steering wheels." In combination with the rear-view mirror, these can be used to do a thing called "changing lanes." It isn't difficult. Basically, you stay in the inside lane at all times unless you are passing other vehicles. You do not stay in the middle lane just because at some future time you may have to pass other vehicles. If you are in the inside lane and you approach a junction with traffic merging with you, you move out into the middle lane if you have to. Let's face it, a lot of people hog the middle lane because they're scared of getting boxed in. That is just very unintelligent driving. You are, effectively, reducing the width of the carriageway by a whole lane for all other road users.

emmline

Post by emmline »

SteveShaw wrote:Basically, you stay in the inside lane at all times unless you are passing other vehicles. You do not stay in the middle lane just because at some future time you may have to pass other vehicles.
But dont'cha think it's a context thing, kind of like handicapped stalls in public restrooms? Iow, if there's a lady in a wheelchair, waiting to use the toilet, one would obviously defer the larger stall to her. But if there are nothing but able-bodied users behind you, why leave the handicapped stall empty?
Likewise, why weave in and out of lane 1, if lane 2 is open and the speedsters have lanes 3 and 4?

(have we not beaten this one to a pulp?)
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

SteveShaw wrote:
Cynth wrote:Makes sense to me. Another reason to avoid lane 1 is that people are merging in that lane so why be there creating more congestion and having to deal with in-coming cars unless you're getting on or off. I really believe driving in lane 2 is quite sensible for someone driving at the speed limit. If others wish to go faster they have two lanes to drive in. People going slower than the speed limit should stick to lane 1 unless they need to pass someone going even more slowly. If someone was obviously tailgating me in lane 2 I would be quite alarmed because the only reason for doing it would be to try to scare me or mess with me somehow. I would probably get off the freeway if there was a safe place to go.
We have indicators in UK cars and big round things in front of the driver called "steering wheels." In combination with the rear-view mirror, these can be used to do a thing called "changing lanes." It isn't difficult. Basically, you stay in the inside lane at all times unless you are passing other vehicles. You do not stay in the middle lane just because at some future time you may have to pass other vehicles. If you are in the inside lane and you approach a junction with traffic merging with you, you move out into the middle lane if you have to. Let's face it, a lot of people hog the middle lane because they're scared of getting boxed in. That is just very unintelligent driving. You are, effectively, reducing the width of the carriageway by a whole lane for all other road users.
:lol: :lol: Steve, I honestly think we must be talking about different situations. The term "middle lane" must mean something really particular to you, but it doesn't to me. We don't even always have a middle lane. Sometimes there are two middle lanes or none. But I will get one of those steering wheel things and see if it helps :wink: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

emmline wrote: kind of like handicapped stalls in public restrooms?
Heheh. If ever an American sentence needed a translator's note for the Brits... :lol:

djm

Post by djm »

SteveShaw wrote:If ever an American sentence needed a translator's note for the Brits
What? They don't have special toilet cubicles for people confined to wheelchairs in English public restrooms? I find that hard to believe.
Emmline wrote:why weave in and out of lane 1, if lane 2 is open and the speedsters have lanes 3 and 4?
I think I can see where you are going with this, and if I'm right, then sorry, but I agree with Steve. If the slow lane is congested and/or there is a lot of traffic merging, then yes, it makes sense to stay in the next lane over. My experience here is that NOBODY is driving in the slow lane. The slowest drivers have all parked their butts in the other passing lanes, so that the ONLY lane available is the slow lane, and yes, you will see me buzzing by the morons in this lane at rush-hour, and it is illegal as all hell.

Extra pulp for me, please.

djm
SteveShaw

Post by SteveShaw »

djm wrote:
SteveShaw wrote:If ever an American sentence needed a translator's note for the Brits
What? They don't have special toilet cubicles for people confined to wheelchairs in English public restrooms?
Aha. Nearly there! But not "restrooms," please. Bogs, lavs, or just plain toilets. When I go into one the last thing I do is rest. It's usually a bloody struggle, actually...

djm

Post by djm »

Too much information! :o No more pulp for you, sir.

djm
Wanderer
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

djm wrote:Too much information! :o No more pulp for you, sir.

djm
more pulp would actually help in this regard... ;)