Who are we? (a little OT)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

:lol:
Dewhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Dewhistle »

On 2002-09-15 09:52, DazedinLA wrote:
On 2002-09-15 08:30, Loren wrote:
Unverified descendant of The Dread Pirate Roberts.
Inconceivable!!!!!
However I can scale sheer rockwalls with no ropes, fence both right and left handed, and fight giants quite well....

Loren
Inconceivable!!!!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dazedinla on 2002-09-15 09:55 ]</font>
You keep using that word! I don't think it means what you think it means.

But seriously, I'm lots German, some Scot, some English, enough Irish, and some Scandinavian stuff.

edited on account if I muffed it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dewhistle on 2002-09-15 13:56 ]</font>
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2002-09-15 13:15, burnsbyrne wrote:

This is amazing to me. I live and grew up in Cleveland. All my friends had a parent or at least a grandparent who was born in the old country. Irish, Italian, Croatian, Slovenian, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Ukranian.
It's strange to me to meet people whose great grandparents were born in North America although logically there would have to be many of them.
Mike
That's what is so totally amazing. On one hand, I can exhaustively document my dad's family, the first immigrant of whom arrived in North America in 1633 and farmed just down the road from the Pilgrims, the last of whom fled the Potato Famine (or perhaps a few indignant fathers) around 1850. On the other side, although born an American citizen, I'm an immigrant myself. Most US Americans are mixtures of some sort, often many sorts. The surprise isn't that we sometimes squabble - its that we get along at all.
AnnaDMartinez
Tell us something.: Good to be home, many changes here, but C&F is still my home! I think about the "old" bunch here and hold you all in the light, I am so lucky to have you all in my life!

Post by AnnaDMartinez »

Whole lotta folks here got hit with that red paintbrush, but ain't becasue of Federal Guantum Blood laws. I have a friend who is 1/4 Navaho, 1/4 Winnebago, 1/4 Chippewa, and 1/2 Cherokee, and this FBI (Full Blooded Indian) isn't considered Indian at all and cannot be enrolled in any tribe! Just had to get than one in!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Anna Martinez on 2002-09-15 14:15 ]</font>
atarango

Post by atarango »

Mexican-American

but the breakdown on that gets a bit dicey and all since most Mexicans are mutts-

so on my father's side I am mostly Tarahumara Indian from the Sonoran Desert of Mexico and some Spaniard- my dad's side brings the bootleggers and revolutionaries including my great-uncle who rode with Poncho Villa's men when he was 9 (yes 9) years old....

on My mother's side- some indian, spanish and Italian.... I take after my father's side and look more Native American then anything- people are always mistaking me for Navajo or something (which makes sense because the Tarahumara are from the same stock as the Navajo- they just live a bit farther south and into Mexico)

-Angela
snoogie

Post by snoogie »

My Mom is 1/2 Scottish, 1/2 German/French (Alsace Lorraine) region
Dad was mostly of English decent.

My wife is 100% Irish...
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Scottish of the Robertson Clan variety, My mom has traced it to the Greenhorns in Lanark but hasn't found any further info. Also, French, German, Swedish, English and Irish. What a mix.
~*~Creativity is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift to God~*~
okverka

Post by okverka »

I am 100% Czech living in Czech republic, Europe. Czech = Slavic language, Central European culture (brassband music, but also very traditional bagpipe and clarinets. Some say some styles of Czech folk music survived since times of Celts here in Central Europe).

But Czech Republic has a really interesting history of adapting American country music. So in fact, many Czechs play American country in local pubs as their true folk music (for example songs of Johnny Cash or many bluegrass songs). So this was my way to Irish music - via American music. I know Streets of Laredo and many others songs influenced by Irish music since my childhood, we were singing it (in Czech language) at boy-scouts campfires...

So some day I have noticed that there is a country called Ireland, where people play music so similar to American folk music I like so much...

By the way, it's interesting, how many whistlers have also American native forefathers. From European point of view, it sounds really romantic...
Otakar Kverka
Prague
Bohemia, Europe
Try my web with some photos from my Ireland bike holiday and links to Irish music and dance in Czech Republic
http://irsko.unas.cz
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

On 2002-09-15 09:52, DazedinLA wrote:
Unverified descendant of The Dread Pirate Roberts.
Inconceivable!!!!!
However I can scale sheer rockwalls with no ropes, fence both right and left handed, and fight giants quite well....

Loren
Inconceivable!!!!!!
I don't think that word means what you think it means.
--------------------------------------

As for this Cat. . .100% 'Russian'. Current residents of Latvia, Lithuania and Estonia may object to the categorization, though. One grandparent was born in England, but her parents were from Minsk.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

I'm Irish and I feel like a minority person. Go figure. Both my parents were born and raised in Dublin. I was born there, but raised in Canada and the US. (Part of the last great wave of emmigration in the 50's.) My mom has a French maiden name. My cousin on that side has done geneology research and belongs to an association of French names associated w/ French officers who were given property in Ireland as a reward of the British army a while back. The name Higgins comes from O'hUigin, which translates 'kin to the viking.' The original founder of the clan is supposed to be a grandson of a 5th century high king, Neill of the Nine Hostages. (You can see the royal bearing in me if you look up close. From a distance, I look like a geek.) My dad's mother was brought to Ireland in the late 1800's by a single mother refugee from Eastern Europe or Russia, presumably fleeing persecution of Jews. She was given up for adoption and raised by an Irish family in Dublin. She was consumed w/ Irish superstitions and scared her kids with banshee and ghost stories. She believed them. I was told that by my dad's brother, a Dominican priest. As far as I'm concerned, it's an open question.
Tony
http://tinwhistletunes.com/clipssnip/newspage.htm Officially, the government uses the term “flap,” describing it as “a condition, a situation or a state of being, of a group of persons, characterized by an advanced degree of confusion that has not quite reached panic proportions.”
Cees
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

Unverified descendant of The Dread Pirate Roberts. However I can scale sheer rockwalls with no ropes, fence both right and left handed, and fight giants quite well....

Loren
Loren, you forgot "and out-think a Sicilian when death is on the line."

:grin:

Both my mother and father's sides come from England way back (came over to the U.S. in the 1600 and 1700's), but I think there's some French waaaaaaaay back in there somewhere. Also, Chief Massasoit (of the first Thanksgiving) is my 10th-great-grandfather.
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

Loren was the inspiration for the storys about Zorro. (As a matter of fact, he's been known to cruise around town in a wide-brimmed black hat and mask.)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2002-09-15 16:35 ]</font>
TelegramSam

Post by TelegramSam »

Well I know at least one branch of my family's been here forever, my maternal grandfather is decended from one of those Hessian mercenaries that fought with the british in the American revolution.

Guess he liked this place enough to stick around, hm?

:lol:
On 2002-09-15 14:02, Chuck_Clark wrote:
On 2002-09-15 13:15, burnsbyrne wrote:

This is amazing to me. I live and grew up in Cleveland. All my friends had a parent or at least a grandparent who was born in the old country. Irish, Italian, Croatian, Slovenian, Czech, Slovak, Polish, Ukranian.
It's strange to me to meet people whose great grandparents were born in North America although logically there would have to be many of them.
Mike
That's what is so totally amazing. On one hand, I can exhaustively document my dad's family, the first immigrant of whom arrived in North America in 1633 and farmed just down the road from the Pilgrims, the last of whom fled the Potato Famine (or perhaps a few indignant fathers) around 1850. On the other side, although born an American citizen, I'm an immigrant myself. Most US Americans are mixtures of some sort, often many sorts. The surprise isn't that we sometimes squabble - its that we get along at all.
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Actually, I seem to recall reading somewhere that quite a lot of those Hessian mercs either deserted in order to stay or liked the place so much that they eventually emigrated after returning home.

My wife's 5x-great-grandfather was a musician with DeGrasse's French fleet that helped the Americans at Yorktown. He liked it so much that when the French fleet prepared to sail for home, he deserted and hid out in Philly until they were gone. Afterwards, he moved to inland North Carolina and made his living as a cabinetmaker.

edited for spelling

- B. Baggins

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chuck_Clark on 2002-09-15 17:24 ]</font>
Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Tony Wrote:

"Loren was the inspiration for the storys about Zorro. (As a matter of fact, he's been known to cruise around town in a wide-brimmed black hat and mask.)"

Ah yes Tony, those were the days....Back when all a man needed to fight injustice was a sword, a mask, and cajones of steel.

Not like today, where one needs an entire legal team, and perhaps a sympathetic message board moderator (sigh).

Don Diego had it good indeed......

Loren de la Vega