What we do for a living

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whitmores75087
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whitmores75087 »

When I was in Thailand on business I met a guy called Paul at an Irish pub. We enjoyed each other's company and I learned about his family and other personal details. When I got back to the US an acquaintance here asked me that this Paul fella did for a living. I din't know because I didn't ask. The American was astounded.
Now I see herethat the thread about what we do for a living has gone into multiple pages. (BTW, I operate a computer keyboard and a phone, and travel now and then.)
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

People define their whole identity by their job. When they come to the point where they can no longer do that job they have a major identity crisis. Many commit suicide, others die of depression-related ilnesses. It's sad.
Reasonable person
Walden
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

On 2002-09-15 00:46, Walden wrote:
People define their whole identity by their job. When they come to the point where they can no longer do that job they have a major identity crisis. Many commit suicide, others die of depression-related ilnesses. It's sad.
Not everyone. I'm retired, partly for medical reasons, and don't seem to having any great difficulty with being non-productive. Gives me more time to waste on the internet.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

On 2002-09-15 01:10, Chuck_Clark wrote:

Not everyone.
Of course not everybody, but it's all too common. Most of my great-grandparents adjusted well, and lived relatively contentedly for decades as retirees. But their children, my grandparents, have taken it far worse, having defined themselves so by their jobs.
Reasonable person
Walden
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

I don't remember
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Oh, boy, is this me or what! When I left teaching I didn't know what to call myself...like what would I put on a form that asked for 'occupation'? I worked for a publishing company as writer, but 'writer' sounded too pretentious..now I have an Internet business....'entreprenour'? also sounds too pretentious....maybe just 'self-employed' now. Sounds vague.......
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

On 2002-09-15 00:46, Walden wrote:
Wow, if that's true, I must be the ultimate in multiple-personalities.

I've been: cook, combat medic, police officer, printer operator, system administrator, computer programmer, graphic designer, vice-president of a printing company, leatherworker and actor/entertainer.

I still do programming, sysadmin, leatherworking and acting.

And these are just the things I get contracted and/or paid to do. My hobby list is nearly twice that long. If I actually tried to define myself by what I do, I'd end up more confused than I already am. :smile:
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

However....many of us (if not most) do for a living something that is not our dream job - I mean, it's not US. It is a job we do for a paycheck to get through life financially. For instance, I am a medical transcriptionist, but only because of circumstances, chance choices, needing a job NOW, etc., not because it's what I would do if I could really be me. I'd be a wildlife biologist - now THAT'S me!
Susan
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

heh...I'd be a multilingual photojournalist!
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

Beth - you're still young - GO FOR IT! :smile:
Susan
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Nah I'm already getting roots but I am still working on the lingual aspect.

There are lots of careers I would have liked to pursue but they wouldn't have given me much of a means of survival unless if I tuedn out to be one of the TOP TOP people in the field...and I'm not motiviated enough to be THAT good! I almost went to school in Boston (hink it was Brown Univ?) for linguistics/egyptology. Good thing I didn't, as I don't like hot weather.

Edited to remove foot from mouth. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: avanutria on 2002-09-15 12:58 ]</font>
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

This "what do you do" question bugs me. It's really about status. My status has nothing to do with what I work at. (BTW I enjoy my job and make decent money doing it). Next time someone asks me what I do, I think I'll answer: "I scratch a lot".
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

I should have been a cowboy.
chattiekathy
Tell us something.: Well dang, I just want to change my password. looking for that correct page! Thank you! Ohh good grief, I get it, you have to be careful who you let in because of spammers, but sigh.... I'm in a hurry, can we move this along please. :)

Post by chattiekathy »

Well, I should have been a princess

Edited to fix smiley.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: chattiekathy on 2002-09-15 16:36 ]</font>
jim_mc
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

On 2002-09-15 15:07, Whitmores75087 wrote:
This "what do you do" question bugs me. It's really about status. My status has nothing to do with what I work at. (BTW I enjoy my job and make decent money doing it). Next time someone asks me what I do, I think I'll answer: "I scratch a lot".
I'm afraid that in many cases, you're right. Sometimes, though, it's just a polite question, meant to keep a conversation moving along.

I grew up in a very nice NYC suburb. When people ask where I'm from, they sometimes ask me what my father does! Now there's a really blatant status check! I'm 41 years old. Who should really give a rat's patoot what my father did? I've taken to telling people that he was the town drunk.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!