Pet Peeves

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
PhilO
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Pet Peeves

Post by PhilO »

What are your most annoying everyday type little peeves? And I don't mean the political/religious hypocricies type of peeves. For example, why do we now have to listen to the equivalent of the close up roar of jet engines just for the sake of leaf removal/control? Leaves are not inherently a great threat. I know they can clog drainage and become an eyesore, but anyone ever heard of a friggin rake?

Twice a week in the courtyard there is a veritable army of young able bodied men wearing masks and carrying jet propulsion tanks on their backs; they spend an hour blowing leaves around at untold decibels.

Raking could be sort of fun and a bit of exercise to boot. A much nicer autumn scene, the casual raking of leaves; perhaps a spot of tea and the like...

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

I had a pet peeve once, but I left his cage open and he flew away... :cry:

jus' kiddin! :P
One thing that, for one unexplainable reason or other, really bothers the friggin H outta me is when someone leaves their sunglasses on the dash of their car while driving...I dunno why that bothers me so bad. It doesn't matter if we're in my wife's car (which just got it's poor shiz-nit blown away this weekend by an unattentive driver, by the way) going somewhere as a family or one of my friend's cars, I've gotta reach up and put their sunglasses away for them if they don't do it themselves.
I can't just let them sit there! It's like the damn things are sittin' there lookin at me!! STARING at me!! AAARRGHH!!
gnyarr... :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
missy

Post by missy »

one that recently began to bother me is the habit of many young people (and some not so young) to end their sentences with an UP timber of voice. ALL sentences. It sounds as if they are asking a question, but they aren't, they just end every sentence with UP instead of DOWN tones.

I've found this in day to day conversation, news reporting, people giving talks, etc.

Drives me crazy.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

missy wrote:one that recently began to bother me is the habit of many young people (and some not so young) to end their sentences with an UP timber of voice. ALL sentences. It sounds as if they are asking a question, but they aren't, they just end every sentence with UP instead of DOWN tones.
Especially when they use and overabundance of "Like" and "you know"....ugh! :P
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

When somebody tells me something and then asks if I understand them...

Know what I mean?

Slan,
D. :wink:
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

dubhlinn wrote: Know what I mean?
Vern...
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote: Know what I mean?
Oooh, you know what I mean!
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Tyler Morris wrote:I had a pet peeve once, but I left his cage open and he flew away... :cry:
I think the folks at Hogwarts have a bone to pick with you.

My pet peeve: Inconsiderate neighbors who who stand outside and smoke their cigarettes upwind of my house, forcing me to shut my windows to avoid their nasty second-hand smoke. :x
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

missy wrote:one that recently began to bother me is the habit of many young people (and some not so young) to end their sentences with an UP timber of voice. ALL sentences. It sounds as if they are asking a question, but they aren't, they just end every sentence with UP instead of DOWN tones.

I've found this in day to day conversation, news reporting, people giving talks, etc.

Drives me crazy.
There's a name for it, which escapes me just now. It originated in CA (Valley Girl) and I think there's a bunch of psychology literature on it. Has to do with young girls low self esteem.

Current peeve - People who use a credit card to buy a cup of coffee for $1.76. This makes the line a Dunkin' Donuts go really slow.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

jsluder wrote:
Tyler Morris wrote:I had a pet peeve once, but I left his cage open and he flew away... :cry:
I think the folks at Hogwarts have a bone to pick with you.

My pet peeve: Inconsiderate neighbors who who stand outside and smoke their cigarettes upwind of my house, forcing me to shut my windows to avoid their nasty second-hand smoke. :x
Your houses must be 10 feet from each other. :boggle:

I have so many peeves I can call none of them my pet.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
jsluder

Post by jsluder »

Flyingcursor wrote:
jsluder wrote:My pet peeve: Inconsiderate neighbors who who stand outside and smoke their cigarettes upwind of my house, forcing me to shut my windows to avoid their nasty second-hand smoke. :x
Your houses must be 10 feet from each other. :boggle:
I'd guess about 15 feet, maybe 20. And for some reason, when they're out on their back deck smoking, the smoke always drifts up to our 2nd story bedroom window. Blech. :evil:
Giles: "We few, we happy few."
Spike: "We band of buggered."
Alcona

Post by Alcona »

The icky, smacking noises someone makes while chewing food with their mouth open. :boggle: It's very difficult to resist violence against them.
Birthdays are good for you;
the more you have,
the longer you live.
http://www.pbase.com/ejcsnapdragon
http://www.pbase.com/hamishcraig/jills_pics2
gonzo914

Post by gonzo914 »

That puzzled look cashiers give you when you give them 3.12 cents for a 2.87 purchase.

Indian customer service, unless it's in Oklahoma.

People selling door to door, especially if it's religion they are selling. Girl scouts and Cub scouts are exempted from this peeve.

Asking an airline agent why a flight is late and being told it's waiting on the incoming flight when I can look out the damn window and see that.

Dogs that pee in my yard, especially when the owner is attached to the other end of the leash.

Screwed up drive through orders.

Zealous converts, especially those who cannot understand that difference between conversion and apostasy is merely point of view.

Ordering "diet cola" and being told "We only have Diet Pepsi and Diet Dr Pepper."

Pinheads whe cannot park between the lines.

Perkiness.
Crazy for the blue white and red
Crazy for the blue white and red
And yellow fringe
Crazy for the blue white red and yellow
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Almost all of what I might call Pet Peeves are dominated around cell phones being used by others as well as me. Not just vehicular, but actually using the damn things. The Authorities (at home) finally convinced me to get one again (having been cell-free since mine was stolen two years ago) and now I get to have the pleasure of interrupted calls, dodgy signal, a dinky keypad and way too many bellls and whistles.

On the street, in their cars, in shops, in businesses, restaurants, the fact that the whole world seems to be calling to get out of the Matrix really bugs me. If only it worked.

Why do people have to talk so much all the time?
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Geez, where should I start?

Loud rock music in stores.

Snowmobiles driven anywhere except on the edge of highways. Why is it okay to ruin my quiet walk in the woods and scare off all the birds and animals?

Purposely loud cars and pick-ups driving fast through quiet neighborhoods.

People who do not immediately remove their noise-making (and it doesn't have to be that loud, ANY noise is disturbing) child from a concert.

People who make avoidable noise in wilderness areas. Leaving no trace applies to sound waves too.

Dogs that bark constantly because their owners don't care for them enough to have them in the house or make arrangements for a better home for them.

People who, instead of troubling themselves to move to roughly the same place the person they are addressing is occupying, shout across long distances to converse thus forcing us all to hear their conversations.

People who do not whisper quietly in museums and libraries.

People who allow their children to run around in restaurants endangering themselves and servers as well as disturbing the other diners. When the children become restless, it is time to go.

People working anywhere who do not make an effort to be friendly if you need to deal with them. I know it is hard sometimes, and even impossible on some days perhaps, but I really appreciate just a bit of a hello and an attempt, at least, to appear to be concerned with my question or problem.

Litter bugs.

People who have lots of things and go on great vacations but who complain about vet bills or don't want to pay much to have their pet taken care of while they are on vacation. Part of vacation expense is the cost of making sure the animal is well cared for----just making sure it will survive is not good enough. If the vacation needs to be scaled down to do that, then scale it down.

Restaurants with food and other debris on their floors. Get the dang carpet sweeper or broom out!

Restrooms that only have air blowers for drying your hands.

Hmm. I guess I'm a pretty peevish person :lol: .
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca